help buying a camera

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShOrTbUs

Reaction score
i'm planning on buying a new camera in the near future. the camera will be used for general picture taking. but the main reason i want to buy it is so i can take some beautiful pictures of my plants. i constantly see beautiful photo's taken and posted on this site. so i'd figure i'd ask for some direction from u guys and gals...

I love my Fuji Finepix S2950, low priced (around $160 +/-) while packed with high-end features! I want to move up to a better camera for my other pic taking needs (outdoors adventures and such), but am completely happy with the finepix for my bud shots...and whatever else until I decide I really can part with $1000 for the next one!

Save for the ability to add a bigger lens, the finepix is an awesome camera, has a lot of the features a high-priced DSLR has!

I have a Canon PowerShot A800 that I got from The Apple Store online for like a hundred bucks. I buy from Apple because I know it will be compatible with HAL 8,999.

wow this is harder then i thought, so many different brands, options, features. i'm gonna keep gathering info for now. mostly just trying to narrow it down

thank you for the posts

I am looking for the exact same thing shortbus!! I wanted to start taking photos in general but mostly some awesome macro bud shots!

I found this site: www.snapsort.com, its pretty sweet for finding specific cameras with whatever features you are looking for

sMACk

Black Friday is coming up man. That's the time to pounce. Nikon or Cannon with couple lenses you can find for $650, with tri-pod. Prob get a 55mm and 175mm with either.

Checkout Bensbargains.net. They have awesome deals most of the times on all kinds of electronics and even other things. I just use my Samsung S3 phone now...it takes really good pics. Jmo

nouvellechef said:
Black Friday is coming up man. That's the time to pounce. Nikon or Cannon with couple lenses you can find for $650, with tri-pod. Prob get a 55mm and 175mm with either.
:holysheep: you're right...

And Costco has a really nice carrying bag. That is a must man. It's a lifetime investment of dank pics(if you produce the dank) as long as your careful with it. A good carrying bag is the easiest start.

for me its mostly deciding where to start. a point and shoot with DSLR features, OR go all out and get a DSLR, multiple lenses, case, tripod, the works basically

Check out what camera reviews in your price range and compact/bridge or full dslr and you see whats up there.
Canon EOS 5D mk11 for me when i have the funds.
T4

Oakley Sub Zeros I Had The Same Pair Around 1992 Ish Cost Me £180
T4

I recommend Canon- I've used since the very first ELPH back in 2001.
On my fourth one.
I've got a new one on order- I'll post a review when it arrives.

For my purposes I Love the tungsten light setting- takes out most of the yellow during flowering
Two forms of Macro

IDK what your budget is but If you wanna take really good macros you must have a DLSR and you really dont need multiple lenses... the only lens needed for taking great macro shots is 100mm and it will prob cost more then the camera itself... Someday I will hopefully be able to afford a 100mm lens for my Nikon... but unfortunately it wont be anytime soon...

About a year ago, I started a thread on a private site looking for a good "entry level" camera for my wife for Christmas. I did a couple hours worth of and got some help from some of the members there that knew a bit more about cameras than I did. Copied and pasted from my post on another forum:

I've narrowed it down to 4 models that I like.

Cannon Rebel T3i:
18 meta pixel, E8 battery, can be used with off camera flashes, side hinged LCD, full HD video recording with multiple settings, video snapshot feature, adjustable ISO settings and auto setting.

Sony Aplha SLT-A55:
Bottom hinged adjustable LCD, level line, some have reported issues with the electronic viewfinder in bright or shady environments, stabilized sensor, 10 fps burst rate, sweep panorama feature, multi frame noise reduction, continuous auto focus while filming and 16.2 mega pixels.

Nikon D5100 DSLR:
16 meds pixels, no autofocus motor (need af-s lens with build in motor), adjustable LCD screen, adjustable iso and full HD video with multiple options.

Pentax K-R DSLR:
Comes in either red, white or black, stabilized sensor, burst feature, filming up to 720p @ 24 fps (lowest of the 4).

I like the burst rate, sweep panorama feature and multi frame noise reduction of the Sony model. The Canon has a higher mega pixel rating, and snapshot feature, which is similar to an option the Sony has. I've heard a lot of comments that the Canon might be the better body to build upon as far as system goes, but I might not be correct on that.

I'm leaning between the canon or Sony. I like the features these two offer more than the others.

Keep in mind that this was a year ago, and they've got more advanced models now, but it might help as a starting point depending on your budget. I don't have the receipt on hand, but I got 2 extra lenses, a carry bag and a few other things for about $800 total from best buy.

She's been happy with the camera.

Edit: I bought her the cannon.

Latest posts

Back