help for a first timer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmm1312

Reaction score
ok so here it is....i have rigged an ebb n flow 1 plant system. it consists of 3.5 gallon pot directly on top of my reservoir which is 5 gallons.... what i need to know is it ok to use 7/8 perlite and the top 1/8 aquarium gravel as my growing medium as long as the gravel is sterilized?

u got any picks id like to see how its built if u dont mind

yea sure im always happy to share pics
i just wasnt sure if i could use that as a growing medium

102_1499.JPG

102_1501.JPG

102_1498.JPG

jmm1312 said:
ok so here it is....i have rigged an ebb n flow 1 plant system. it consists of 3.5 gallon pot directly on top of my reservoir which is 5 gallons.... what i need to know is it ok to use 7/8 perlite and the top 1/8 aquarium gravel as my growing medium as long as the gravel is sterilized?

I dont know about aquarium gravel for a medium but I dont think you need the perlite.
I like hydroton.

I would try to grab some hydroton (expanded clay pellets) too, If you got a local grow shop that is. I have a similar system and the hydroton is great for holding moisture and draining really fast. I have a mix of about half hydroton and half River pebbles from homedepot, just to cut down on cost but that system is small enough to just use the hydroton. :farm: Bud

hey..

just a couple of tips if i may..

Is this truely your first grow?? or first Hydro grow??

If its a TRUE first grow.. I would recommend SOIL..
ALOT easier and ALOT more forgiving and experience is invaluable.

Ive never done a hydro grow.. but ive read alot regarding it.. and was
going to be my first grow also. Glad I didn't.. after the WISE guys around
here passed on this tip to me.

but if you are going to go hydro..

1. get a different resevoir.. that is LIGHT PROOF. or TAPE/Paint your
resevoir. Light + water + nutes = ALGAE. Algae will throw your PH
levels and PPM out of wack and reak havoc on your grow.

2. Your water lines.. Same as #1.. NEED TO BE LIGHT PROOF.. PERIOD..

3. Go to Hydro section of this forum and read oall of STONEY BUDS DIY
hydro threads, and other.. Learn from their mistakes and tips..

GOODLUCK..

thanks to everyone. this is just my first hydro grow and i wrapped my resevoir in duct tape 2day. i dont have access to hydrotion but plan on getting it eventually. i just want to use this temperary.does any one have any advice as to how many times i should water if i was to use the perlite and rock?

Latest posts

Back