help for pot sizes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesweedmore

Reaction score
hi for everyone

i have homebox XL 120cm X 120 cm (4' X 4' ) grow tent for flowering room with 600w hps.
i grow in soil with organic nutes.

i will grow 12 or 15 girls at the same time.

i keep the girls at vegging phase for 30 days

i am thinking about beginning in solo cups (or 1 litre pots ? ) and after 15 days of vegging,i will transplant girls into pots ( 4 or 8 litre ? ).
and when i begin flowering stage,i will use pots (15 or 20 litre or bigger ? )

how big pots should i use ?

i will transplant 2 times and i will use 3 different sizes pots

i need your advices about pot sizes.

(begiining and first 15 days in cups ,untill the end of vegging stage and duirng all flowering stage )

thanks

i went with 6 gallon pots, then was told pot size was very important..so i transplanted to 16 gallon pots(same height but much wider)...not sure how much difference it made? my plants are over 5 feet tall so it sounded like a good idea..first grow so i am curious what the vets have to say..i saved 1 in a 6 gallon for comparison,will post results in 5 or 6 weeks after harvest...ahh smells like christmas around here! cant wait

dude 16 gal pots are huge !

i was told on the other forums that 11 L pots would be enough for me

they are huge...i figured it was worth trying...

I start middle of feb. indoors from seed in solo cups. Then about middle of march into 1gal pots and around middle of april they go outside in the dirt. works great for me

There is no point in discussing this until you tell us
1. What type: is this an indica or sativa grow, or hybrids.
2. How much height you have available.
But your plan to grow 16 plants in a 16 sq.ft space, is not viable unless a SOG or SCROG grow.
IMO an indica doesn't need more than a 3 gallon pot. I've had two indoor indica grows now and when I pulled the expired plants the root balls were quite small. Whereas sativa likes a massive pot, it grows huge root balls. That's why I said the strain is the important item.

well,i dont know what strain,they are bagseeds from the dealer ..

height is 2 metre ( 6,562 foot )

But your plan to grow 16 plants in a 16 sq.ft space, is not viable unless a SOG or SCROG grow.

it is first grow as i said.i will keep it simple. i wont do sog or scrog.

do you think how many plant could i grow in a 16 sq.ft space with 600w hps ?

Your lamp is good for it, and will work fine in veg too. Add a hundred watts of CFL during veg and they will go like .... well, fast!
It's a problem not knowing the strain. I think if your limit is 2 metres I would assume that these are probably either a sativa or mixed strain. You could try 3 gallon pots and see how it goes. If they begin to get rootbound - you can tell this by how often you have to water - then you'll end up transplanting to 5 gallon buckets.
If these are bagseed then you have no idea how many fems you'll get. So, you could start with your 16 seeds assuming that around half will be fem, resulting in 8 plants. And I think you might just be able to fit 8 plants into your space, with a little luck. Again, it depends on the strain; sativas are into heavy branching, and need a lot more space as a result.
Best of luck with your grow and keep us informed! ;)

thanks mate.

do you think transplanting is a problem in flowering phase ?

i will begin 16 plants and after i know if they are female,i will transplant them bigger pots and of course males will be destroyed.

there is 2 option:

1) i will start with 16 seeds in 3 gal pots and after i found if they are female,i will go with females and males would be killed

2)i will start with 16 seeds in 1 gal pots and when i find they are female,i will transplant females to 3 gal pots and males would be destroyed.

which one is true ?

In addition,how much yield can i get from 8 plants ? is 15oz possible ?

Oki, everything I am about to type is completely opinionated, my personal and some others experiences.
The idea of the three pot method is to allow the plant to become rootbound momentarily so to speak and then transplanting to a bigger pot to help encourage virgourous root growth, which it does in my opinion. :hubba:
I personally started in solo cups, (been awhile since I have done soil, sooooo...)left them for about 2-3? weeks, before I moved over to 5 gallon.
I personally skip the 3 gallon step, many people swore by the cup, 3 gallon, 5 gallon. I think that puts to much emphasis on root growth. I think the cup is good to get them pack up and once you transfer they should be more then fine.
IMO an indica doesn't need more than a 3 gallon pot. I've had two indoor indica grows now and when I pulled the expired plants the root balls were quite small. Whereas sativa likes a massive pot, it grows huge root balls. That's why I said the strain is the important item.
Dead on...

I would start in the 1 gallon and transplant to 3...
Yeild is directly related to lighting. Of course, your conditions must be optimal and along with an optimal nutrient regiment.
I'm sure someone will poke along and toss that equation out.
Something to do with square footage and lumens....
I'm to high for this..
:bong:

Latest posts

Back