Help please. I need advise. My plant is too big.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gone2pot!

Reaction score
I am growing Hindu Skunk in a 5 gallon waterfarm. The bucket is tall and add another 3 feet for plant... Just about 4 feet tall give or take. She is already getting burn from the light being too close. She is in a 6' cabinet. Of course I can't flower her there as she sits because she will get so much bigger when I switch to 12/12.
Here is my question..
Should I cut off about 2 feet? If so, what do I do with what I cut off? Root it? Dry and cook or smoke?

Should I bend it in half and tie it?

Should I change pots to a low wide container?

Should I just move her to garage?

Any other, better ideas?
Thanks in advance. (I'm obviously on my 1st grow, LOL)

Gone2pot! said:
I am growing Hindu Skunk in a 5 gallon waterfarm. The bucket is tall and add another 3 feet for plant... Just about 4 feet tall give or take. She is already getting burn from the light being too close. She is in a 6' cabinet. Of course I can't flower her there as she sits because she will get so much bigger when I switch to 12/12.
Here is my question..
Should I cut off about 2 feet? If so, what do I do with what I cut off? Root it? Dry and cook or smoke?

Should I bend it in half and tie it?

Should I change pots to a low wide container?

Should I just move her to garage?

Any other, better ideas?
Thanks in advance. (I'm obviously on my 1st grow, LOL)

first off.. cut off 2 ft?? big no no..well if she is still in veg i would try to tie her down a bit, mayb top her.. if u go to the indoor section, towards the top "stoneybud" has a thread called "low stress training and high stress training.. look into that.. it will tell u techniques on keepin ur plant short and bushy.. great benefits to doin LST/Top/FIM.. all increase yeild and bud spots.

tell us more specifics.. wut kind of lighting.. wuts ur grow space.. u said somethin about the garage.. do u have a seperate set-up wit more room there??

That plant is going to double in size at least when you flip to 12/12...why did you let it get so out of control???

LST really needs to be started when the plants are young to get the effect you want. I think chopping off a good couple feet is your only option, or use it for a mom and start takeing clones from her. You could then flower those out shortly after seeing roots.

I'd say bend her over and tie her...but you still have a long way to go. I don't know why flayboy said it's a big no no to cut her...I mean it's not ideal, but it certainly can be done...and you could root what you chop off.

I guess I don't understand how you let things get so far out of control, becuase you haven't seen anything of growth until you flip that girl to 12/12.

You could also get some stuff called Bushmaster made by Humboldt Counties Own....but I think even with this it's going to grow some more....I've never used this product but others here have.

Why dont you move her to the garage with some floros and take some clones and leave her in there until you've got your worth of bud and then get rid of her or try bending her over or chopping her. at least that way you know who have some bud out of it if it fails.

legalize_freedom said:
That plant is going to double in size at least when you flip to 12/12...why did you let it get so out of control???

LST really needs to be started when the plants are young to get the effect you want. I think chopping off a good couple feet is your only option, or use it for a mom and start takeing clones from her. You could then flower those out shortly after seeing roots.

I'd say bend her over and tie her...but you still have a long way to go. I don't know why flayboy said it's a big no no to cut her...I mean it's not ideal, but it certainly can be done...and you could root what you chop off.

I guess I don't understand how you let things get so far out of control, becuase you haven't seen anything of growth until you flip that girl to 12/12.

You could also get some stuff called Bushmaster made by Humboldt Counties Own....but I think even with this it's going to grow some more....I've never used this product but others here have.

my bad LF.. i was jus under the assumption that if he takes that much off that the plant mite shock.. so if he took off a couple feet would it be the same process as cloning basically.. except its not a clipping its half the plant?

burnin123 said:
cut 1/3 of the the top LST the side branches..flip to 12/12..and FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT!!!!

Just wondering wouldn't the plant be putting to much into creating new bud zones to be able to recover from being chopped?

It's in veg...if it were in bud I'd worry about stress

I'd say burning has a good idea!...you may want to leave it in veg for a week after doing this to make sure it's not stressed going into flower

i agree you can chop it make it smaller, wait a week for the branches to start growing then flower it ;)

I let it get out of hand because I didn't know any better. The grower I bought the clone from said "let it veg for 9 weeks more before flowering". It was 18" tall then. I should have flowered immediately, but I had no one that was willing to discuss growing MJ. fortunately I found MP. I had been leaning from a J. Cervants book but I made several errors that strssed her. Hydo store told me not to water until rockwool was dry and crusty on top! That cost me a few roots! Spider mites and leaf burn, etc.... I thought if I could keep her alive, not hermied, I would make her a mom. I've taken som cuttings but no roots yet. I also had lighting problems ($). She is in a 6ft x 4 ft cabinet. A 4tube HO T5's, one HO T5 side light. I also kept her in veg because my house is for sale and moving her in flower might screw things up.
That is the short version of why she's gotten out of hand.

Take some clones off of her and then you will have more than one plant, put them in veg and then abuse her. You can tie her down and do quite a lot to her and she will be fine. They are a very hardy plant and you can do anything to them so long as you take the proper care.

Today is the first day of 12/12. I bought the T5bulbs for flowering, bent her in half, FIM'd top and some side branches and took a bunch of clones. I bought Fox Farms bloom and fert and one other (for last 2 weeks..sweetener?). I also put a bit of Epsom salts and B1 in the waterfarm. Now if I just coulda found some GREEN MOJO:giggle:

Gone2pot,

See if you can get some BUSHMASTER or HAMMER and try using it on her once she recovers from your stressing. They both greatly slow down vertical growth and promote bushing.

I think you are making a big mistake by flowering her until you do all of your stressful training, trimming and so on.

IF you let her recover you can trim the hell out of the top of the plant. Also, USE THE TRIMMED OFF BRANCHES FOR CLONES. They may take longer to root, but the will be a lot bigger and ready to flower a lot quicker than taking little cuttings.

I've clipped 8" or more off of the ends of the top branches and had them root and grow almost immediately. Now I've got half grown clones long before the flower room is going to be open for them. I'm beginning ot understand how some people can take cuttings of of mothers and have plants as big as mine in less than half the time. They are cutting big clones out of the top of the mother instead of cutting small shots from the lower branches of their plants just before flowering them.

Thank you Don. I will get her back on veg light schedule in the morning (2:30 am I'm up). I didn't think about tieing her as stress...Duh. Low Stress Training, but still stress of couse. My brain was just thinking stress from cutting her. She's really not huge, I've just never flowered a plant before and if I understand right she will double or triple in size. I didn't consider that when I just kept vegging her. You can see a picture of her in the mistoponic thread. I hope you saw the mistoponic explanation.
Thanks for your timely advise, I think she will be ok. I had bent her over when I was first given advise to. I only tied her and changed bulbs and nutes. I can change it all back tomorrow

Definetly get some Bushmaster. If used properly right at turning your lights to 12/12 you might possible stop her in her tracks. Bushmaster is typically used a week or two into flower to allow "some" stretch but you can start it on day one of flowering. Will do nothing but help your situation in my opinion.

I'd love to see a pic of this girl

Hey Gone2pot, your current height of 3 feet will work if you start a regular routine of LST to the tops now. The 3 foot mark can be your high point. Take a deep breath and relax. It's not a crisis. Everything can be kept under control easily. No topping, no radical moves. No radical anything.

You can now start training your tops to grow in a loop. Train them slightly over and each day, turn the soft, pliable tops again, so that they are facing downward. One side effect of this is that what is now side branching on the points closest to the tops, will increase growth due to more "top" hormones being directed to them. This is easily cured in a manner that will help your grow. Just snip off any branches that grow from side branching when they reach the top of the highest point of your grow at 3 feet. This won't stress your plant. They'll be young shoots.

Then, continue training your tops over until they reach a point about 1.5 feet from the bottom of your plants. At that point, let them turn again towards the top. At that point, you should start flowering.

Secure each LST top in any manner you wish, but be easy doing it. Don't man handle the tops to death. I use pipe cleaners and string. Each day, every day, turn them again during the vegging so that they grow towards the base of your grow.

You'll be fine man. Take it easy and relax. No need to panic. Everything will be alright. As the grow proceeds, continue this thread so that we can all help you along. Before you know it, you'll have some beautiful flowers forming on your new "looped" tops.

:goodposting: I am going to give that a shot myself PieRsquare, thanks for the post!!

PieRsquare said:
Hey Gone2pot, your current height of 3 feet will work if you start a regular routine of LST to the tops now. The 3 foot mark can be your high point. Take a deep breath and relax. It's not a crisis. Everything can be kept under control easily. No topping, no radical moves. No radical anything.

You can now start training your tops to grow in a loop. Train them slightly over and each day, turn the soft, pliable tops again, so that they are facing downward. One side effect of this is that what is now side branching on the points closest to the tops, will increase growth due to more "top" hormones being directed to them. This is easily cured in a manner that will help your grow. Just snip off any branches that grow from side branching when they reach the top of the highest point of your grow at 3 feet. This won't stress your plant. They'll be young shoots.

Then, continue training your tops over until they reach a point about 1.5 feet from the bottom of your plants. At that point, let them turn again towards the top. At that point, you should start flowering.

Secure each LST top in any manner you wish, but be easy doing it. Don't man handle the tops to death. I use pipe cleaners and string. Each day, every day, turn them again during the vegging so that they grow towards the base of your grow.

You'll be fine man. Take it easy and relax. No need to panic. Everything will be alright. As the grow proceeds, continue this thread so that we can all help you along. Before you know it, you'll have some beautiful flowers forming on your new "looped" tops.

quick question not to jack the thread but wut are sucker shoots?? i saw you mention shoots..

flaboy88 said:
quick question not to jack the thread but what are sucker shoots?? i saw you mention shoots..
Commonly, "shoots" or "suckers" or "sucker shoots" are the new stem growth while it's still very young and very soft. They're removed to eliminate unwanted growth on a particular area of a plant for either cosmetic or other reasons. In the case of my below post, it's to prevent plant height problems.

MJ creates a hormone that it sends to the topmost growth. It makes that growth much faster than the growth of the branches below it. Nature does this to help the plant reach sunlight and pollen in an effort to propagate the species. By snipping them off, it causes the plant to spread it's hormones more evenly throughout the entire plant.

hmmm... very interesting.. thanks pieRsquare.. im def goin to have to try this to a couple of my plants and see the difference

Latest posts

Back