Help starting out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys I am a newb. I am looking to start growing, nothing big maybe 3-4 plants. I built a grow box that is 44in tall and 22 inches wide and 22 inches deep. I know i need a CFL for veg and not quite sure on the lights for flowering (can i do both of these in the same case?) but i dont know any specific models i should be looking at. I have $400 i can work with to pay for my setup. also good soil brands, nutriends and seed strains to start with would be nice help. My next step is covering the walls with mylar. I am still gathering all my materials while i research growing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

I could be wrong, but that sounds big enough for one plant. If using cfl's, try to make sure you have 35watts per sq foot. In your case, about 4 sq. ft. 140watts/4 sq. ft.= 35watts/sq. ft. 140 watts would be ideal. If you can't get 140 watts, then do as best as you can.

sounds good, Im fine with growing one plant actually. Should i try to go with one bulb or multiple to spread out those 140 watts?

okay I am about to order that light setup. Before i do there are a bunch of options on everything should i upgrade anything or get extra bulbs? and how many plants will this be good for? thanks a ton

A given wattage of light will cover x number of sq ft as opposed to covering a set number of plants--plants can vary in size from a foot to six feet or more. Shoot for 30W/sq ft for flowering and about 50W/sq ft for flowering. Use a light with a blue spectrum for vegging and one with a red spectrum for flowering. I am real partial to T5s for vegging and IMHO, there is nothing that even comes close to a HPS for flowering.

Okay i plan on buying the light fixture Kludge mentioned with no upgrades and maybe an extra bulb, will this fulfill my lighting needs from start to finish? also with the 22x22x44 growbox how many plants do you think i could grow in there and should i go for sea of green? I think i will go ahead and use the FoxFarm Ocean Forest soil, would that be okay to use all the way from seedlings to the end? and that should be all i need aside from seeds to start my first newb grow right? i plan on using some bagseed kush. Thanks guys you are tons of help.

I have a picture of my growbox in Photobucket but it wont let me post a picture until i have 15 posts but i will do so when the time comes.

I havent heard much backing on the MH lights, your sure they will be good for a noob grower over the cfls? thanks

I have no access to clones, just seeds, will that still work if i germinate them like usualy then start them in the FoxFarm soil?

A MH light is good for vegging, but not for flowering. If you bought the conversion bulb, you can use for flowering.

IMO, SOG is suited to spaces that have a lot of floor space, but limited vertical height. I would flower 3 or 4 if growing from seed, hoping for 1-2 females--you will want to destroy any males. Watch out for hermies if using good bagseed.

Kludge said:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?p=283291
Hemp Goddess, what are some of your reasons for using the CFL's over MH?

I don't use cfls--I use a T5 HO fluoro (for vegging). How much do i like my T5?--I have a 400W and a 250W MH that I no longer use. The T5 emits far less heat than the MH, so you can keep the plants really close to the light. I run the lights 24/7 and cool the 4'x2'x4' space with a computer fan, even when temps outside are 100+. The T5 also uses a fraction of the power that a MH uses, while still maintaining tight internodal growth and lush thick plants. My vegging area is only 4' tall and the T5 is only 3" "tall", thereby giving me more head room for the vegging plants.

Daughters! said:
Can anyone describe the Screen of Green method?

Look in the toolbar above. See "Resources".. "CLICK" .. see "Growers Dictionary".. ;)

Latest posts

Back