Help With Ventilation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper

Reaction score
Hello all at marijuana passion. Well I am about 1 month into my first indoor grow and all is well so far. I have a closet that measures 6x2x6. It is fairly long but only have about 2 feet in depth. I am currently running 18 cfl's at 400 total watts for veg. I have 10 plants in 2 rows of 5 under the hood of cfl's. I have tapped into the ducting and ran a vent into the room which provides cool air when the ac is running. I also have a fan blowing through the lights under the hood which keeps them cool. I currently do not have to worry about closing the closet doors so it vents into my bedroom fairly well. The high in the closet reaches between 84f and 87f degrees when the ac is not running. I plan on flowering with a 400 watt hps when the plants reach about 18 inches. The problem I think im gonna have is when I have to close the closet doors to keep light from disturbing the 12/12 cycle and the addition of the 400 watt hps throwing off extra heat. Let me also mention I live in the south so the current afternoon average outside is between 85f and 98f HOT. I have thought about running an exaust by putting a squirrel cage fan at the top of the grow room and venting out the floor but thought that would just pull out the little bit of cool air I have running in there. I have also thought of buying a portable ac and sticking it in there, but that is $$$ expensive. So my question is what is the best ventilation/cooling system set-up for people that live in a very hot climate. PS: Pics coming soon

You're gonna have to air cool the 400 in that small of a space. It's not too bad if your closet is setup near a window. Or if you have access of an attic or basement.

Take some pix of the room if you want some guidance. Or look on the growroom construction page..
Many more people will answer with pix..

Get a cool tube or an air cooled hood for that hps and pull air from outside or another room through the hood and vent it outside. You will also need to vent the hot air from the closet out of the closet some how and also be pulling fresh air into the closet, those HPS light get hot. Another tip is mount your ballast outside of the closet if you can. On a side note if you are already using up 400 watts of electricity on a bunch of CFL's you would be better off getting a 400 watt MH conversion bulb for you HPS setup. Way more lumens that way. You are also going to need to think about odour control with that many plants and I don't think a single 400 watt HPS will cover your grow space, I know you only have 12 square feet but but its 6 feet long. The plants on the outside edges won't get enough light, maybe you could augment it with your cfl's. You got a lot of work but it will be worth it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

One Love
Tater

Latest posts

Back