Hermie...But why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkfarmer

It's growing like a WEED!
Reaction score
Hi all, ive been growing nirvana ww for a little over a year now in DWC with gh flora nutes and all the sudden im getting hermies. Started the seeds a little over a year ago and picked the best female and took clones. Well she got to big so i flowered her and just kept making clones of clones. Will this make a plant hermie? Also, could heat be a factor, my cab can get up to 90-94 degrees. But my plants all look good, not stressed looking at all.Also she came from regular seed stock not fem.

Based on that info I would guess your heat may have played a role? Or is it possible the clone of clones thing? Ever see multiplicity? When you clone a clone they end up retarded, just like making copies of a copy. The first gen copy is always better.

Shockeclipse said:
Based on that info I would guess your heat may have played a role? Or is it possible the clone of clones thing? Ever see multiplicity? When you clone a clone they end up retarded, just like making copies of a copy. The first gen copy is always better.

Got anything to back that up? I have a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone..... you get the idea from a strain that is over 13 years old. It hasn't lost potency, yield, smell, or vigour in all that time. I would wager the mom I have is from a 10th generation clone or more. I'm not saying random genetic mutations don't happen all I'm saying is that a clone of a clone does not create a "retarded" plant as you put it. Just so you know if a plant was retarded all that would mean is that it is either genetically predispositioned to be slow growing compared to its siblings or that some environmental factor had retarded (ie slowed) its growth.

What is multiplicity? Did you just make that up?

Definitions of multiplicity on the Web:

Talking about any of those?

And here's a link to a google search for "multiplicity in plants" nothing there either.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-ca&q=multiplicity+in+plants

Please enlighten me and my 10th gen retarded clone mother plant further on this concept of multiplicty.

Multiplicity (1996)

A comedy about a man who clones himself to save his marriage, and then almost loses his wife-- to himself! Overworked and over-scheduled, contractor Doug Kinney never has enough time for his wife and family. So when a helpful geneticist offers to "xerox" Doug, it seems like the perfect solution-- until the clones begin to take over his home, his job, and his bed. Written by Robert Lynch

You seem a bit hostile so I apologize if I may have offended you.

Or is it possible the clone of clones thing?
When I said this I was sort of thinking outloud, and asking the question myself. What followed was refering more to the movie. I have yet to clone anything so I wasn't trying to state this as fact. Just throwing it out there because I didn't know for sure. I was just trying to help.

Hi friend :ciao:
In my humble opinion its very likely to be a result of the heat adding just enough extra strain.
I've seen references to it before and have experienced the same thing.
Done plenty in coco now ( more than one grow at a time :p ) and not had any issues and my moma is a clone from a couple year old moma from seed that a friend had and he wouldn't admit to any hermi's.

I put one ( clone ) in a make shift DWC cos i thought about switching completly to it.
That one was one of the nicest plants i've seen and outgrew the coco easy but soon after flipping 12/12 it herm'd :confused2: and i did have fairly high temps as i was just starting out and learning as i went along kinda deal.

As you can imagine been a newb i had to deal with all sorts of issues and learning curves while growing in coco and a few plants went to hell and back but not one of the coco girls has ever herm'd.

You seem a bit hostile so I apologize if I may have offended you.

Or is it possible the clone of clones thing?
When I said this I was sort of thinking outloud, and asking the question myself. What followed was refering more to the movie. I have yet to clone anything so I wasn't trying to state this as fact. Just throwing it out there because I didn't know for sure. I was just trying to help.

Not hostile towards you at all, just hostile towards misinformation. If you don't know what you are talking about state that, don't worsen the poor guys problem by pretending you know whats going on. If he's grown the same clone succesfully multiple times and is now getting hermies than you need to look at what has changed. Its not the plant because its still the same unless like I said it went through a random genetic mutation but the odds are low of that happening. So it must be environmental. Figure out what was different about this grow and that is most likely the problem.

No offence man but sometimes people would be better served by keeping things to themselves, me included. Its better to be thought retarded than to open your mouth and remove all doubt :p

Bet ya gotta light leak somewhere and dont know it.
As for Clones of Clones,,,,A Clone is a Clone,,it aint gonna be retarted unless you retard it somehow. Then that retarted Clone will make more retarted Clones if ya take the Clone AFTER you scewed it up. I will bet ya have a light leak,,not sure about the heat being able to Hermie a Plant. If that were the case there would be more Hermies me thinks.:hubba:
Heat will definatly mess her up though,,make her wilt and die.:D

I should of been a little clearer i think.
Its not so much the heat, as the reservoir temps that may cause problems i think.
As for just ambient heat i've not had any problems from high temps with the coco girls apart from a few crispy leaves, it never caused a hermi.

The hermi happened when i had high res temps cos i didn't appreciate how vital it was :peace:

Latest posts

Back