how do you test your 600 watt lamp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffca

Reaction score
i have a 600 watt but it needs to be really close to the plants and doesn't seem to give enough light, there were 5 under it when i had it, and it was always just a little droopy and had to be like two inches from the plant at all times.

my friend has a 250 watt and his plants flourished in 2 weeks to what mine looked like in almost 1.5 months.

my question is, even though it says on the light that it's 600 watt, is there a way to test it to see if it really is running at that high.

how old is it?

Light meter would give you a hint.

If it's output is X lumens it's safe to assume the bulb is ok if producing +/- that amount.

jeffca said:
i have a 600 watt but it needs to be really close to the plants and doesn't seem to give enough light, there were 5 under it when i had it, and it was always just a little droopy and had to be like two inches from the plant at all times.

my friend has a 250 watt and his plants flourished in 2 weeks to what mine looked like in almost 1.5 months.

my question is, even though it says on the light that it's 600 watt, is there a way to test it to see if it really is running at that high.

First, 600w is a rating of electrical cunsumption,known as electrical power. What you want to know is optical power which is measured in lumens. The nominal output of a 600w hps bulb is about 95,000 lumens. This measured at start up of the bulb, and decreases rapidly after the initial start up. Typical are 10% decrease within 5 minutes. Over time the bulb output also decreases. Within 2 years, bulb output could be 40% less than a new bulb. You could buy a light meter and measure, however almost no one does this. They just buy another bulb every 2 years.

buy a new bulb bro if your unsure...then you will know for sure its ok,you need your bulb at least 10inch away...i have mine 16 inch away :)

Your 600W is only going to decrease in lumens so much. If your plants are under a 600W (even with very diminished lumens) and not growing, I would say that you have another problem--over/underwatering, pH, nutes, medium, temps, etc, etc. I don't think that your light is the problem--a plant will flourish during veg even with fluoros...

Pot Belly said:
When a HPS light nears its end life, it cycles off and on until it dies. If you don't monitor "daytime" lighting, this may be also an issue with odd acting plants.

Also HPS bulbs blacken at the ends of the arc tube more and more as it gets older, easy way to tell if the bulb is old.

Runbyhemp said:
If your 600W lamp is only 2 inches from your plant, then something is wrong. If I placed my 600W lamp 2 inches above my plants, it would burn them to a crisp.
i forgot to mention i had an air-cooled hood, with glass between the light and the plant. the inline fan was pretty strong and loud. the bulb and ballast and everything is brand spankin new btw.

could it be the air-cooled hood that is taking too much heat away and the plants dont get enough heat?

smokingjoe said:
how old is it?

Light meter would give you a hint.

If it's output is X lumens it's safe to assume the bulb is ok if producing +/- that amount.
i had just bought it, and i used it for about a month or 2 months tops.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Your 600W is only going to decrease in lumens so much. If your plants are under a 600W (even with very diminished lumens) and not growing, I would say that you have another problem--over/underwatering, pH, nutes, medium, temps, etc, etc. I don't think that your light is the problem--a plant will flourish during veg even with fluoros...
i think it was the light because they all started drooping over until i put it 2 inches away and they came back to life. (i did this because of advice from a friend) otherwise they probably would've died because everything i had read was not to put it that close.

jeffca said:
i think it was the light because they all started drooping over until i put it 2 inches away and they came back to life. (i did this because of advice from a friend) otherwise they probably would've died because everything i had read was not to put it that close.

When the light is not close enough it causes the plant to grow tall and stretchy, never seen it cause droopiness

Does your light look so bright you should have a welding hood on to look at the bulb? if not the lights not burning like it should..

Latest posts

Back