How many watts on 240v?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type_S150

Reaction score
I have a quick question about electricity. How much wattage can I run on a line of 240? (i.e how many 1Kw bulbs would be safe to run?). Thanks.

I am not an electrician but i believe you could run 2 1000 watt lights. I think a 240 is 22.5 amps, a 1000 pulls around 9 amps

sweetnug said:
I am not an electrician but i believe you could run 2 1000 watt lights. I think a 240 is 22.5 amps, a 1000 pulls around 9 amps
Thanks for the reply but that doesnt seem right to me, but I am not an electrician either. I thought someone told me on this site I can run about 3000watts on a 110. anyone else?

i can run a generator off a 240 v line that pulls 9000 watts

i just read in lights your suppose to use max 3500 =\ so idk man im guessing around 4k

there is usually 120s and 240s

Type_S150 said:
Thanks for the reply but that doesnt seem right to me, but I am not an electrician either. I thought someone told me on this site I can run about 3000watts on a 110. anyone else?

First the formula for ohms law is volts x amp =watts
So 3000 watts on 110 volts would draw = 27.27 amps,

What really matters here is the currnt rating for the 240 breaker.
A 1000 watt light draws about 10 amps @ 120 volts, so at 220 volts it draws 5, the wattage is the same just the current draw changes.

Growdude said:
First the formula for ohms law is volts x amp =watts
So 3000 watts on 110 volts would draw = 27.27 amps,

What really matters here is the currnt rating for the 240 breaker.
A 1000 watt light draws about 10 amps @ 120 volts, so at 220 volts it draws 5, the wattage is the same just the current draw changes.

This "sounds" right to me. I'm no 'sparky', but I do know that the number of watts that you can draw through any give line, is dependant on wire guage and breaker amperage.
They way that "" understand it, that same 3,000 watts would only be drawing around 14 amp off 240 volt source.

PLEASE!!.. if I'm wrong, a knowledgable sparky SPEAK UP...

If you run 120 or 240 it's going to cost the same. I have an electrician buddy that help get me setup. He laughed at me when I told him I could save half my money with 240:(.

bombbudpuffa said:
If you run 120 or 240 it's going to cost the same. I have an electrician buddy that help get me setup. He laughed at me when I told him I could save half my money with 240:(.

Yep cost is the same because the watts are the same.

bombbudpuffa said:
Yup.... .

I'm also not an electrician but I believe you could run 3K on a 240 and be ok. That's a lot of light. What kind of setup are you planning? I would love to see some pics. Keep us posted my friend. Take care.

i know that 2 1000s dont too to well on a single 120 I need to find an electrician to have has a friend and get a 240 run. Anyone know how many amps for sure is pulled out of a 1000w running on 120? Thanks

1000 w/110 v = 9.09 amps.
1000 w/120 v = 8.3 amps.
1000 w/240 v = 4.16 amps.

But to me the biggest question would be if your breaker box is amp filled enough to be able to handle it all. Most home breakers are rated for up to 100 amp, but you can get a box that will go 150 amps and 200 amps if you need to, but then you also have to have a line that will carry a 240v charge to your spot too.

Good post Dubbaman. Perfect way to break it down.
Ohms Law... P=IV aka watts(P)=Amps(I) x Voltage(V). ;)
Good book for all growers to have is "ugly's Electrical Reference Book" It's cheap and very handy. ;)

Dubbaman said:
1000 w/110 v = 9.09 amps.
1000 w/120 v = 8.3 amps.
1000 w/240 v = 4.16 amps.

But to me the biggest question would be if your breaker box is amp filled enough to be able to handle it all. Most home breakers are rated for up to 100 amp, but you can get a box that will go 150 amps and 200 amps if you need to, but then you also have to have a line that will carry a 240v charge to your spot too.

Good post, the only thing you must remember is there are losses in any ballast so the total amp draw is more than just figureing it out @ 1000 watts.

Digital are better but still draw more.

I allways add 50-100 watts more than the bulb wattage alone.

the same amount of power will be required to run the lights regardless of whether one was to go 120V or 240V

the difference is this...using 120V, all the current is going thru one conductor path; whereas, using 240V, the current is split between two conductors therefor only half the total current goes along each conductor - this creates less line loss making the system more efficient ie. more power is utilized as light as opposed to heat(the line loss).

on small settups like our home grows, this difference is negligable - maybe the difference of a couple dollars over a whole grow - not worth the extra expense or effort, IMO

(I am a sparky, btw)

That crazy vancouver guy said:
the same amount of power will be required to run the lights regardless of whether one was to go 120V or 240V

the difference is this...using 120V, all the current is going thru one conductor path; whereas, using 240V, the current is split between two conductors therefor only half the total current goes along each conductor - this creates less line loss making the system more efficient ie. more power is utilized as light as opposed to heat(the line loss).

on small settups like our home grows, this difference is negligable - maybe the difference of a couple dollars over a whole grow - not worth the extra expense or effort, IMO

(I am a sparky, btw)

120 or 240 single phase is still just 2 wires, its just a simple ohms law fact, as voltage drops current rises.

Growdude said:
its just a simple ohms law fact, as voltage drops current rises.

Here's a link if ya don't wanna do the math.
(replace xx's with tt's)
hxxp://www.angelfire.com/pa/baconbacon/page2.html

I think what he is looking for is how many can he run. I have seen alot of "right" answers.

IMHO, it ALL depends on how big the breaker will be.
Say a 50amp 240v breaker is installed. A thousand watt light runs a little over 4 amp, lets say 5 to be safe.
You could run 8 lights safely on this set-up. Mind you, if you have a long "run" to get from the Main Breaker box to your Timer box (Intermatic T104 timers are rated at 50amps @240) you will need to run a thicker guage wire.
So, if you want to run alot of lights, the thicker guage wire the better, along with a 50amp 240 breaker.

How about a regular house outlet.. how many amps are they??

Latest posts

Back