how much is too much light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiefsmokin'

Reaction score
I’ve got three one week old babies under two 125watt fluorescent lights. There about 8 inches from the top, and I’ve got a fan on them so there isn’t too much heat. I have them on 24 hours of light right now, I’m going to wait a day more then I’m going to switch to 18 hours of light. I just wanted to know if this is okay or if I’m giving them too much light.

Another question is I’m using a hydroponic drip feed system with half strength B.C. nutrients right now. I had the P.H. at 5, because I was told the four inch rock wool cubes that I was using would raise the P.H. Then on two of my babies the leafs started to turn yellow with brown spots and curl up.

Before it spread I raised the P.H. to just below 7, since then they seem to be going back to normal. What the hell happened? Was I right to raise the P.H., or maybe is the nutrients to strong? I followed what the nutrient chart thing said, but I want to make sure that I’m not giving them too much, or even worse not enough. Anyway I’ll put pictures up soon, and see what you guys think.

idk i dont think with flouros you will ever have over kill of light you may have alot of excess heat , but heat and light are two different things

I dont think you can have to much light...

Heat is the only issue I believe...

If you asking about the amount of hours of light you plants get..then..you should be ok with 24 ...18 would work also..

I'm going to have to let someone jump in on the plant problems..but... I don't think it is because they are on 24 hours...

Sounds like the nutes are too high, how big are the plants?

throw those floros right on top of ur babies practically!!! floros are cool long tube lights and can generally be left quite close if not touching the plant! light means everything...at least in the corect spectrum....the blue color spectrum wave length of light (which florescent bulbs produce) are favored for vegitative growth...Hid lamps such as Hetal Halied are also great for producing the more blue side of our color spectrum.....when flowering is induced or your plants have shown sex...iyou would want top switch to more of the HID lights such as the High Pressure Sodium...it mimiks the color that the fall sun produces's....that orange and yellow that is so famous for security lights and lights in parking lots.....same thing....so fkorescents and MH for vegitative and High Pressure Sodium for FLOWER!!! allthough it is favorable to have bth spectrums on at the same TIME AS WELL!!!!! GROW ON!!

i'm with growdude...one week old shouldn't have 1/2 strength...put that down to about 1/4. also just a suggestion, put for floro's closer and the fan aiming upwards at the lights...throw a little thermometer under there also to monitor the temps that are hitting the babies...that way you can judge how close to put them. my 500 watt cfl is within an inch of mine and their doing GREAT...no such things as too much light, too much money, and too much fun! watch your heat!!! just throwing in my .02-grabbin my change-and lightin my doobie.....*******poof*******

edited: just almost remembered...nope, its gone...and yes, i'm dead serious, i just so forget...well, i'm blazing.

octobong007 said:
i'm with growdude...one week old shouldn't have 1/2 strength...put that down to about 1/4. also just a suggestion, put for floro's closer and the fan aiming upwards at the lights...throw a little thermometer under there also to monitor the temps that are hitting the babies...that way you can judge how close to put them. my 500 watt cfl is within an inch of mine and their doing GREAT...no such things as too much light, too much money, and too much fun! watch your heat!!! just throwing in my .02-grabbin my change-and lightin my doobie.....*******poof*******

edited: just almost remembered...nope, its gone...and yes, i'm dead serious, i just so forget...well, i'm blazing.
interesting post lol
kids.... dont do weed

sorry, mentally infracturacated over here...my buddy brought me some stuff called "mars"...tite bud...then i'm smearing it with hash oil...which i gotta thank brother grunt for the ez recipe...i love this site!!!!!! ok, i've sounded retarded enough for 5 minutes...lmao rotf!!!! and my woman just called me tard...laterz

Cool then I shall leave them on, and drop it 5 inches. All three of them are around two inches tall. Also they have two leafs, and I see more coming out. On one of them the leafs curl up, it’s weird. If the nutrients are too strong would I have to dump it all out, and flush the roots? I’ll get pictures as soon as I get my camera back, so I can show you what I’m talking about. I hope it isn’t serious. Thanks guys

Sounds to me like to much nutes. Get the light closer and dont feed nutes for a few days and see if they clear up. It is hard to guess without any pics, so dont take my advice as gospel, i just think with them being that small yet you shouldnt be giving them any nutes.

Here are my three....

pictures 026.JPG

pictures 012.JPG

pictures 027.JPG

pictures 031.JPG

not looking bad id lay off the nutes for a couple of weeks and just let tem enjoy the water as said in the thread earlier on then start them back on the nutes at 1/4 strength and you shouldnt have any other problems with them they look like they wont have any trouble recovering from the tiny bit of trouble so far man good luck with the rest of the grow

thanks dude, i'll take them of the juice for a couple of weeks, keep you posted with pics

Latest posts

Back