How remote?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nvthis

I am bored and got to thinking... How remote is remote? And who has lived the life? Obviously no one answering this is doing it now but how remote have you been, voluntarily? You know, where survival skills count, real 'call of the wild' kind of stuff where running to the store for an emergency pack of smokes was completely out of the question. You don't have to say where, or even what country (though we will assume it is here on earth...:D ) Also by choice. No camping or armed service, but living full time in a cabin out in the middle of flippin' no where. C'mon, lets hear it!

I haven't been real remote. I had a house once where I could barely see the neighbors barn over a mile away and shot guns or played music as loud as I wanted in the middle of the night. But I could find a store in about 15 minutes.

I have also lived in a house that was 20+ miles from any kind of store and another 15 to a real store, but survival skills were'nt necessary unless the winter was real bad.

So let's hear it. :D

I'm same as you. I came from a large city and am back in a large city, but lived a number of years miles from any town with a wood/coal stove and well for water, but I had electricity and access to a monthly trip for groceries and like. Only a few times I was actually snowed in and that wouldn't last more than a week. Still, it was a learning experience for a city girl. Learned to hunt, grow my own ...food and whatever, bake bread, grind corn, raise chickens and cattle. Learned to fix my own car but now they cram too much under the hood and I don't even understand them anymore.

Hey there nv good post ! My other half is up the duff and my life is pretty damn remote ! oh how i love it while the missus is preggers ! i am living a lonely 6 months so far and i know i am not perfect ( i get reminded daily brother ) LOL ! I reckon i pass the remote test ! I feel like i am living in a tin shed which has egg shells scattered all over the floor ! ooohhh and now i am being told that i need to go back to the shops to get chocolates again ! 3 times in a day and i was planning on having a whole football team LOL ! (how wrong i am ) peace and take care ! i gotta go you know where !

when I turned 19 I did outward bound. It was a grueling month of learning survival skills and team building exercises. I ate bugs, purified my drinking water, ate a snake, used plants for everything from bug bites to sunburn. Oh the best was having to check for ticks, for rocky mt spotted fever...the ticks like warm dark places and always attach themselves...in your butt.

umbra said:
when I turned 19 I did outward bound. It was a grueling month of learning survival skills and team building exercises. I ate bugs, purified my drinking water, ate a snake, used plants for everything from bug bites to sunburn. Oh the best was having to check for ticks, for rocky mt spotted fever...the ticks like warm dark places and always attach themselves...in your butt.

OMG Umbra, lolol I'm never going in the woods with my buddies ever again!!

:D No, but the survival stuff sounds like it was top notch. Pretty cool.

NV, check out the documentary 'alone in the wilderness'..
about a man who went and lived in Alaska for 30 years (from age 50 to 82) built himself a sweet cabin by hand, and filmed it all himself.
it's amazing to watch, **** Proenneke is THE MAN.
i highly recommend it for any survivalist or outdoor fan.

mysefl, as close as i've come to something like that is camping.. always wanted to. i personally would love to have a community out in the middle of nowhere, a sort of new society.. but i know it's all just fantasy, never actually come true. i couldn't do it alone like **** did.

lol ****'s for his name.. his name was Richard, you figure it out ;)

Outward Bound Veteran here too.

You don't really know yourself until you come close to death.
...Or push yourself to some sort of extreme.

The wife and I spent 8 years living on 20 acres in the Ozarks. Started out living in a tent, graduated up to a small camper trailer, and eventually build a 16x16 "shack". We used kerosene to light with, and wood to heat/cook with. We hauled drinking/cooking water in a 55 gallon drum. Nearest town was about 15 miles, but they were very rugged miles. Needed a 4-wheel drive to get to our place. I had SOOOO many tick-bites over the years, that I eventually developed a moderately severe reaction to their chemistry and had to call it quits. When we built our cabin, the only "power" tools we used was a chainsaw. It was "rustic". In the summer our only source of refrigeration was an ice chest, so we lived mostly on canned food. In the winter it was less of a problem, except the coyotes would come right up in our yard at night and help themselves to groceries we stored outside to keep frozen. They are amazingly cunning at figuring out how to get stuff. Running out of drinking water was the thing that determined a trip to town, but with 55 gallons we could make it last 2-3 weeks. I had an outhouse built on the edge of a steep drop-off and there was absolutely no need for a door on it. I can remember many early mornings, perched on the throne, watching the deer and turkeys down in the holler. We build an outside shower stall right up against one wall of the cabin. We ran a pipe thru the wall, and had a tank inside for the hot water, and used a gravity flow for the shower. My record for an outside shower was air-temp of 8 degrees F. We had more than a few days of being snowed in, and many times during the rainy season when the road was impassable.

about a man who went and lived in Alaska for 30 years (from age 50 to 82) built himself a sweet cabin by hand, and filmed it all himself.
is that an older flick? cuz i saw one that sounds like same thing called "into the wild" not much in it on the whole wilderness part but it was still a good flick if ya havent seen that one. this kid basically runs off hitchhiking his way to alaska to live in the woods for a summer

wmmeyer said:
The wife and I spent 8 years living on 20 acres in the Ozarks. Started out living in a tent, graduated up to a small camper trailer, and eventually build a 16x16 "shack". We used kerosene to light with, and wood to heat/cook with. We hauled drinking/cooking water in a 55 gallon drum. Nearest town was about 15 miles, but they were very rugged miles. Needed a 4-wheel drive to get to our place. I had SOOOO many tick-bites over the years, that I eventually developed a moderately severe reaction to their chemistry and had to call it quits. When we built our cabin, the only "power" tools we used was a chainsaw. It was "rustic". In the summer our only source of refrigeration was an ice chest, so we lived mostly on canned food. In the winter it was less of a problem, except the coyotes would come right up in our yard at night and help themselves to groceries we stored outside to keep frozen. They are amazingly cunning at figuring out how to get stuff. Running out of drinking water was the thing that determined a trip to town, but with 55 gallons we could make it last 2-3 weeks. I had an outhouse built on the edge of a steep drop-off and there was absolutely no need for a door on it. I can remember many early mornings, perched on the throne, watching the deer and turkeys down in the holler. We build an outside shower stall right up against one wall of the cabin. We ran a pipe thru the wall, and had a tank inside for the hot water, and used a gravity flow for the shower. My record for an outside shower was air-temp of 8 degrees F. We had more than a few days of being snowed in, and many times during the rainy season when the road was impassable.

I have a friend who went searching for land. This was the 70's. There was a strong eco faction brewing, that came out of the 60's. He found land advertised in the Mother Earth News. He moved to Kentucky. 3 miles down a dirt road. He was there for 2 years before he had a battery powered pump for the well. Took that long to hook up a water heater, fired with...propane of course. After 5 years he had a phone, party line, but he could reach the outside world. Big step for him. He built his house from scratch. Eventually he installed solar cells and batteries for electricity. He got married and lived there for nearly 20 years. Now hes divorced and lives up near me. He just couldn't take it anymore, being remote so much of the time. I remember going to visit him back in the 80's. The employment rate of the town doubled when they put in the McDonalds.

umbra said:
I have a friend who went searching for land. This was the 70's. There was a strong eco faction brewing, that came out of the 60's. He found land advertised in the Mother Earth News. He moved to Kentucky. 3 miles down a dirt road. He was there for 2 years before he had a battery powered pump for the well. Took that long to hook up a water heater, fired with...propane of course. After 5 years he had a phone, party line, but he could reach the outside world. Big step for him. He built his house from scratch. Eventually he installed solar cells and batteries for electricity. He got married and lived there for nearly 20 years. Now hes divorced and lives up near me. He just couldn't take it anymore, being remote so much of the time. I remember going to visit him back in the 80's. The employment rate of the town doubled when they put in the McDonalds.

Pretty much the same story as ours, finding land in Mother Earth News, looking for the live-off-the-land thing, building by hand from scratch, planning on it taking forever to get anything accomplished, etc. We thought about several of the electricity alternatives, but by the time we could have done any of them, we no longer had a need (or desire) for electricity. We did get a phone put in one year, as a favor to a neighbor. This guy bought a parcel of land further down our 'road' and would have had to pay a fortune for the phone lines. But the phone company said they'd run lines as far as our place for free, and then from our place to his place for free. We had the party line for awhile, and everyone had their own configuration of rings. No one ever called us, and the squirrels eventually ate thru the wire. Just had the thing shut off after the 6 months or so to qualify for the free lines.

If I hadn't developed the allergy to the ticks, I don't know if we'd still be down there or not. If we'd stayed it would be 26 years now. I don't know if I'm that tough. Overall it was a blast, but it had its moments. I do miss my outhouse, though.

zipflip said:
is that an older flick? cuz i saw one that sounds like same thing called "into the wild" not much in it on the whole wilderness part but it was still a good flick if ya havent seen that one. this kid basically runs off hitchhiking his way to alaska to live in the woods for a summer

nah m8, alone in the wilderness is a documentary (if you've ever seen survivorman.. this guy was like the original survivorman)
such a cool flick. the stuff the guy built out there was amazing.. you gotta see it. airs on pbs sometimes, but i just downloaded it.

into the wild, though i enjoyed it, was a movie made from a book (made from a true story) about a young man who hitchhiked around america, and then into alaska (where he died)
i thought it was a great movie (and loved Eddie Vedders soundstrack for it).. but it's quite different than alone in the wilderness.

does doing a nickle in the joint, in an 8x10 cell for 23 hours a day count as remote?:rolleyes: .

let me tell ya, it don't get no more remote. ( and there were animals from all walks of life).

Dude, sounds cool, I'll check it out. Did you download as a torrent?

kaotik said:

mysefl, as close as i've come to something like that is camping.. always wanted to. i personally would love to have a community out in the middle of nowhere, a sort of new society.. but i know it's all just fantasy, never actually come true. i couldn't do it alone like **** did.

lol ****'s for his name.. his name was Richard, you figure it out ;)

nah m8, alone in the wilderness is a documentary (if you've ever seen survivorman.. this guy was like the original survivorman)
such a cool flick. the stuff the guy built out there was amazing.. you gotta see it. airs on pbs sometimes, but i just downloaded it.
i found a video on youtube of it the first ten minutes of the show and there was no part 2 or nothin just an add to order the movie LOL
it did look awesome man. im a have to try findin an online stream video of it.
i always find a movie when im lookin for one.
if i do i'll put up a link to it if anyone wants find it.
or if anyone knws a link i can see . please tell... :)

hmm.. i smoke till i choke
then sip cool-aid all day..

you can download the avi from most torrent sites. (piratebay for one, i think i got it at demonoid)
tried to find an online stream for you guys, but the only ones i could find needed you to install silverlight(?) or some divx webplayer plug-in (they were both on ovguide.com if you're interested)

Nope! ;) Thanks bro, I'll just hook it from thepiratebay. Thanks man!

kaotik said:
you can download the avi from most torrent sites. (piratebay for one, i think i got it at demonoid)
tried to find an online stream for you guys, but the only ones i could find needed you to install silverlight(?) or some divx webplayer plug-in (they were both on ovguide.com if you're interested)

Latest posts

Back