How to clean a new carbon filter ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eskodaboss

Reaction score
i remember reading somewhere online that when a brand new carbon filter ig bought the coal inside should be washed offed or something of the sort. if any one knows about this can you please let me know what to do i just got my new carbon filter and i dont want any harmful dust flowing around.

No need to prep anything. Just start moving air through it!

Buy a new one. By the time you buy carbon and make a mess, clean the mess, hook it back up, etc.Their only like $180 or so for a 6". The few bucks you save aint much.

nouvellechef said:
Buy a new one. By the time you buy carbon and make a mess, clean the mess, hook it back up, etc.Their only like $180 or so for a 6". The few bucks you save aint much.

ok cool i got mines brand new today i thought you were supposed to clean out the dust befor use, and one more question is it possible to run exhaust air from carbon filter throught my cool tube to exhaust out side ?

I run mine, CF then to my reflector, then to my fan, and then it goes outdoors.

Ahh. I thought you wanted to man handle and pack more carbon in it. Gotcha. I do the same,

Filter>duct>hood>duct>fan>duct>outside

Keep it as short as possible. I run 2, 1k's on each side in magnum hoods and each set has a 440cfm fan. From filter to outside its just about 10'.

think you might be confused...i've heard people washing out used filters with power washers...i never tried, i just buy new 1...peace

washing it wont work, we are talking about activated carbon here, you can cook the stink off but its risky, the original question was do you need to clean the carbon before use and the answer is no. IMO

when you cook the stink off it WILL release all the odours it has collected, so beware.

Latest posts

Back