How to fully automate my grow? (Advanced users answer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That crazy vancouver guy said:
u know, buddy... the more I think about it, the more this whole idea of yers sound really interesting to see if you can pull it off...

I am thinking about a possible problem for you, however...

you say you want to fully automate it, but to what purpose?... I mean... did you not want to have to visit the grow yerself to do these things yerself?... I find, that is the joy of this hobby... doing all this stuff all the time, as you are rewarded for your efforts with good smoke... but, nevermind me...cuz I was thinking... how are you going to automate the system to notice deficiencies on the plant and when to correctly increase nute strength for maximum yield/potency... mind you, if you wanted to automate all the "normals", but still were active in the grow all the time, you could change all your variables as needed... yet, that seems like a hell of a lot of work as compared to changing as said variables as needed.

quite a lot to think about with your project... (I'd turf the idea myself....)

I would definitely need to adjust variables as I saw fit. But after awhile (maybe a couple of cycles), I would find the optimal numbers for everything and could leave the grow for increasingly longer periods.

I would more do this to further the hobby as I have grown weary of the 'grunt work' that was once satisfying. I simply want to analyze data, create some graphs and charts and create some REAL info that can help everyone. But like I said, this is a pipe dream, we'll see if I actually decide to go through with it.

if you can set this up for 2000 it would be lit by candles.i do not have an elaborate setup and i have close to 4000 in my setup.it sure as hell is not automated,unless you call me waking up and staggering over and making sure everything is working.if i did have an automated system,i would still have to check it more often than i do my andy contained system.jmo

Look For Those Super Big Buckets That Trees Come In Get Ur Self A Couple Bags Of Ff Oceanforest A Couple 1000watt Hps Npk Nutes And All Those Lil Side Micro Bacteria Feedin Nutes And U Could Probably Get The Pounds U Need

after you've got ur automated setup going you might setup a couple webcams in the room, one looking at the plants so that you can see any deficiencies and one at ur thermometer, hygrometer, other sensors. u could check up on your plants from a computer anytime, anywhere. would give you some peace of mind about your investment if you are away from the room for a few days

There was a bust a little while ago in outback Queensland where a bloke ha done just that Greenfriend.

He had the perfect setup, fully automated.

He only got busted when it caught fire.

Weezy said:
What I'm saying is the $150 6" Vortex that I have is (although overkill for me) not enough for a two room setup. I spent almost half of the $2000 on my personal 400 watt cab...that is organic.

I just do not see it feasible unless we have a different opinion on what a "two-room setup" is. Hell, I guess I could buy all the DWC stuff and another cab and put them in two different rooms and call it a two room setup and get it all around $2000 but it sure wouldn't be automated. I just cannot picture something costing around $2000 that would be that big and do everything automated so you just sit there and pay the elec. bill.

On a side note: I do enjoy spending time with my "hobby" and giving all the TLC I can but then again im a "hands-on" kind of person. I like to do everything myself without much assistance with labor

It also bothers me that this "setup" would cost only $40 for seeds...unless you start very small and work up. It just seems to me that a legit setup would hope to incur more of a variety of seeds...

You spent 1000 USD on a 400 watt HPS cause your gullable:p

Nice! I am currently working on completely automating my hydro rooms.

for timers check these out. they work great. you can set up to have each module turn "on" 4 times and "off" 4 times. The control module can be placed anywhere in the house. You can control up to 8 modules per controller. You can turn any module on or off at anytime from the controller or turn everything off at once.

homecontrols.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/163/prrfnbr/3126/X10-Lighting-Control-Kit

if you use those timers you might wanna go with the grounded modules for better protection.

homecontrols.com/cgi-bin/hci.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&strfnbr=2&prrfnbr=3079&sesent=0,0&search_id=336919
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have: all (veg & grow) lights, heating, air circulation, exhaust fans, CO2 and watering all automated with these timers and they are working great!

CO2:
I set up my CO2 system using pretty much just what i had laying around other than the cylinder: and old computer power supply, 12v solenoid valve and CO2 regulator. **Picture below**. I used the power supply to get 12v to the solenoid valve, the timers turn on and off the power supply to open the valve 3 times a day for 1 hour each time. At that same time the timer is set up to turn the exhaust fans, circulatory fans, and heater off.

i was looking for CO2 meters for my system so i could measure the ppm and found a unit at mcmaster.com part # 39035K69. its a little pricey but maybe worth it in the long run. that'll be the next thing i buy. it also ready temperature.

HEATING:

for the heating i wired in a generic digital thermostat so that i can keep my temps around 70deg F, but being that the heater has a fan i had to also use a timer module to turn it off when i want it turned off.

WATERING:
for watering i purchased one of these units: atlanticwatersystems.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=18&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4

Using this unit i ran a "tee" from my refrigerator water line to the unit through the attic. The water system is set up on a float switch that fills a "dummy" 40gal reservoir (rubbermaid trash can) so the water can get to room temperature before it ever gets to the plants. The actual reservoir, another 40gal trash can, also has a float switch that turns on a submersible pump in the "dummy" reservoir to keep the level topped off. Being that my nutrient solutions are different for both veg and grow i also put a float switch in the grow reservoir (15gal trashcan).

The pumps that feed to the drip systems is on have their own timer modules and also have an unplugged "tee" at the bottom to act as a "bubbler" to keep the nutrient sediment from settling at the bottom.

With all this automated all i have to do daily is check my pH (which is usually right at 6.0 in the dummy reservoir), add nutrients to my watering reservoirs, and raise or lower the lights.

i also rigged all my lights on a pulley system so i can raise and lower them from one location in the room rather than having to deal with chains and what not.

IMG_0179-smaller.jpg

oh yeah also, i spent about $3000 to set up 300 sqft of total grow space. Not too bad only $10 per sqft. thats including 8 600watt HPS lights

HydroManiac said:
You spent 1000 USD on a 400 watt HPS cause your gullable:p

I spent ~$92 on a 400 watt HPS and wired it together..its coils and not digital but it still works well... :).

The soil, variety of beans, pots, pens, cabinet, etc etc all came to about a grand...

Not sure if GT got this going or not, but here is my 2cents.

Do not automate your nuit mix. Hand make your Nuits every week. You will have a ph flucuation, but that is normal, and as long as it is within limits, you need not worry. I have seen a few auto nuit/PH mixes, and it caused the most problems. Of course you can automate the feeding schedule, just not the actual nuit mix.
As far as the DWC levals, that is easy enough, no fancy equipment man, just commen sense and gravity will work fine, that along with a $15 float valve.

So, if you can make your own nuit mix, the rest will be EASY.

Use a C.A.P. Controller, one with Fuzzy Logic for your Co2. You will not be disappointed at all.
Ensure that your grow room is completly airtight. Your intake should have a dampner on it also. Completley seal your lights and aircool them by drawing air from outside the grow room, thru the lights, exausting out of the grow room.

I ran automated rooms with little issues. I also used CO2, but it got old quick changing those bottles man. I perfer to be forced to check on the room every few days, rather then depend on auotmation, but auotmation is great.
Just don't consider it "turn-key" and expect it to run itself and produce like mad. You get what you put into it.

If you wanted to do something like that on the cheap, I would start with a left-over PC. Add an A-to-D card to get the input signals into the PC and add a D-to-A card to control outputs. Then write a program in Quickbasic or Visual Basic to control the cards. Keep it as simple as possible. Use simple programmable timers to control everything possible, like the lights, and the ebb-flow pumps. You wouldn't need to automate so much; like, temp control could be done with a sensor that turned on fans when required. The program woud have to sense pH and adjust it by turning on a dosing device for up, or one for down, depending. But there would be a lot of programming and testing required. Personally I would just automate everything possible using simple timers and sensors and leave the rest to the good old human brain.

you should make your own 5 gal dwc system grow some hydro green monsters simple just buy some buckets order some net lids hydroton get a cpl good pumps nutes ph/ppm meter and your good to go gotta think smaller with bigger plants you get cought your going away for a long time you know alot of people cant handle that and start yappin away at the mouth but thats bad for peoples health so you wouldnt want that

NorCalHal said:
Not sure if GT got this going or not, but here is my 2cents.

Do not automate your nuit mix. Hand make your Nuits every week. You will have a ph flucuation, but that is normal, and as long as it is within limits, you need not worry. I have seen a few auto nuit/PH mixes, and it caused the most problems. Of course you can automate the feeding schedule, just not the actual nuit mix.
As far as the DWC levals, that is easy enough, no fancy equipment man, just commen sense and gravity will work fine, that along with a $15 float valve.

So, if you can make your own nuit mix, the rest will be EASY.

Use a C.A.P. Controller, one with Fuzzy Logic for your Co2. You will not be disappointed at all.
Ensure that your grow room is completly airtight. Your intake should have a dampner on it also. Completley seal your lights and aircool them by drawing air from outside the grow room, thru the lights, exausting out of the grow room.

I ran automated rooms with little issues. I also used CO2, but it got old quick changing those bottles man. I perfer to be forced to check on the room every few days, rather then depend on auotmation, but auotmation is great.
Just don't consider it "turn-key" and expect it to run itself and produce like mad. You get what you put into it.

ya what he said. dont skimp on ur equipment. my setup uses CAP fuzzy logic controller, CAP MLC-8 lighting controller, and CAP environmental controller, cept i use a GEN-2 propane Co2 generator so i dont have to replace Co2 bottles - i highly recommend these products. if u dont cut corners during setup and buying equipment, automation is not that diffucult. HOWEVER, the complete setup set me back bout $9000. also agree bout adding nutes and pH by hand. good luck!

thanks a lot guys! loving all the ideas! christmas put a hiatus to this setup/grow but the seeds arrived a couple days ago and we should be purchasing everything really soon and have it all up by mid january. still undecided on just how much will be automated...

i am a programmer and i have mastered the automation part here are the things my creation can do

lights
fan
cooler
temp
ph
ppm
orp
co2
water level control with laser eye
basically i set up the parameters of all these listed (i might have missed a few) and the computer controls it all, to much heat it can turn on cooler or fan, if still to much it shuts of lights if you specify, the probes are all in the water and it turns on co2 when needed, if it needs dosing it also dose that as well i can even add a motor too the light so it can lower it or raise it all automated, basically you set all the parameters and the system functions exactly as you tell it to, the beautiful part of this is that you can check everything live on your iphone or smart phone, it can email me if anything is outside of parameter, only after it has followed all the inputs i have specified, i am thinking of calling it hydronix, oh also you can turn on and off everything that is programed with your phone also manually, ill post later when i figure out what else i need to set up to control, if you pros out there have any advise i would love it, all the materiel i have used has cost me about $1400 so far, once i know everything that is associated with growing i am sure i can finalize my system and have it on its way to hydro shops.

oh and also it logs every condition so you can look back and see what worked best and fine tune it, automatizing is not because people don't want to spend time with plant its purpose is to grow the optimal product with optimal condition

i know it resurrects this old thread, but you can definately automate your grow much cheaper than most people think. i will have a grand total of about $250-$300 in a computer controlled room -- NOT including grow gear, only for the controller system itself. part one is making a device that controls the power sources for the room (I posted that in the DIY forum) and part 2 is controlling it with most normal Win/Linux/Mac/DOS computer that can run Perl scripts.

i'll be posting that part 2 in the DIY forum within the next couple of weeks. even though this thread is 3 yrs old there's still validity in the goal... heh...

Latest posts

Back