How to Smoke a Joint Properly (I learned A LOT!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i still like joints, rolled with joker rice papers. the proper way to smoke one is to put it to your lips and take a hit, either big or small. hold it then exhale, repeat and repeat till you feel something cold on your shoulder. that should be the floor, then you know your there. enjoy.
Damn - Ive been doing it all wrong.
I thought you were supposed to inhale, hold it in, then take another hit inhale ,hold it in, and repeat until you almost pass out.
then youre supposed to exhale and if theres any visible smoke youve been doing it wrong and you have to repeat.
This is really only practical if youre smoking solo.

Thanks - but im still fumbling.
very gratified to be finding a few more misfits - and really pleased to be finding people who know their music.
Im part of a big family but one of my brothers was lucky enough to nick all my albums in early 1970 (I went to sea in 1969) - he's 6 years younger than me but that set him off to a lifelong love of what we call music. He's probably the brother im closest to and GETS music in the same way I do (to me its of over-riding importance.
we have a simple code-word when talking about other people who claim to love music.
The word is FAN"- if youre a FAN music is of primary importance in your life.
If youre a fan, then you like music but its not really of major importance to you.
Hope that makes some sort of sense - most people dont seem to get it
I think a lot of us who were around in the 60's or early 70's are still influenced by the music of that time. I loved early rock. Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, Frankie Valley....exc. Then the British Rock invasion was the beginning of a major change. I have ove 200 albums from the time and they are in perfect condition. I see on collector sites that some are worth $$$. I don't care. I will take them to my grave.

Disco ruined music for me in that time I switched to country and Southern Rock. IMO that was the death of real rock and roll. Today I listen to the 60's rock and Outlaw Country. I have my own radio station I put together on Pandora. Listen every day while in my grow......sometimes 5 hrs a day.

I think that qualifies me as being a music lover. Never was interested in learning to play any kind of instrument....I was to busy chasing women in the day.

Last edited:
i still like joints, rolled with joker rice papers. the proper way to smoke one is to put it to your lips and take a hit, either big or small. hold it then exhale, repeat and repeat till you feel something cold on your shoulder. that should be the floor, then you know your there. enjoy.
Many years ago I was living in Durban & had a buddy who used to come round most night and we'd open up my tupperware cake box and roll a few fatties to smoke while playing chess. but we used to get through em fairly quickly and one night we had a bright idea.
we took a sheet of A4 paper & cut it down the middle length-ways, than we tipped a bunch of bush onto it and rolled it up (with some difficulty) Then we glued it shut along the seam with Pritt (a popular paper glue back then).
We fired it up and, at first, the lit end flared up - but it settled quickly. however the paper itself just turned into an intact charred black cylinder and we had to keep breaking chunks off and re-lighting. Musta gone through a book of matches. It did the job (cant remember if we smoked the whole thing _ but we never repeated the experiment.
You live - and sometimes - you learn.

That was in the days where i learned what commander codys song "Down to seeds and stems again blues" meant

I think a lot of us who were around in the 60's or early 70's are still influenced by the music of that time. I loved early rock. Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, Frankie Valley....exc. Then the British Rock invasion was the beginning of a major change. I have ove 200 albums from the time and they are in perfect condition. I see on collector sites that some are worth $$$. I don't care. I will take them to my grave.

Disco ruined music for me in that time I switched to country and Southern Rock. IMO that was the death of real rock and roll. Today I listen to the 60's rock and Outlaw Country. I have my own radio station I put together on Pandora. Listen every day while in my grow......sometimes 5 hrs a day.

I think that qualifies me as being a music lover. Never was interested in learning to play any kind of instrument....I was to busy chasing women in the day.
Blues scene is still very much alive & kicking & in my opinion that's where good rock is still to be found

I never really got into a lot of Blues. More of a Led Zep, Stones, Walsh kind of person. We had so many great bands in the late 60's and up until about 73 imo....then went to h e l l. Today my favs are Cody Jinks, Arron Lewis, Rebel South ....exc

I once had seeds early mid 70's that were from a Durban Poison , it was a sagebush looking pot plant even at 12 ft.
Extremely powerful even for me and at that time and I had been paying the xtra $20 bucks for a lid of Gold, oaxacan and thai sticks ..

Well I'm no connoisseur of anything. I tend to view weed in the same way I view wine.
With wine all I can tell is wether I like it or not. With weed all I can tell is if it gives me a good hit or not. I like beer more than wine but it's the same there - as long as it tastes OK, and gets me flying - thats all I need. If it tastes really crap, I'll switch to something else.
As I've said elsewhere, I'm just a peasant. I get all the complexity I need from tech stuff.
Listening to Mark Knopfler - Our Shangri-La & enjoying a doobie.
Never thought I'd get to enjoy this side of life in my seventies - perhaps I'm Dead ?? 😊

I never really got into a lot of Blues. More of a Led Zep, Stones, Walsh kind of person. We had so many great bands in the late 60's and up until about 73 imo....then went to h e l l. Today my favs are Cody Jinks, Arron Lewis, Rebel South ....exc
I'm a bitooblitzedt at the moment & trying to write this o my phone
. But trying to say blues is a massive and broad field.
Like the stuff you've mentioned.
Can send some blues suggestions based on bands you've mentioned if you like.
Dang this is hard I keep mistyping.
Listening to The Notting Hillbillies now " Please Baby" - I'd guess you'd like it.

I wanted to share this video from The Ganjier. I am not an affiliate, and I don´t have ties to them, but I thought this was a really awesome and informative video. I tried some of the tips like taking a half-hit and chasing it with air, and you can definitely taste the difference. I´d love to read what people think about this:

Really excellent - this is a non-bullshyter who's really thought about this and knows what he's talking about. I loved the logic about your lungs especially.
I habitually do most of the the things he talks about here but was not aware of it - just something that's worked out over the years.
My daughter-in-law has never been a cigarette smoker and has some of the biases that the anti-smoking lobby has planted over the years - she is convinced you must never inhale a joint and only take the smoke into mouth & nose - then exhale.
Yet she'll still somehow get "high" (at least she'll say she is high) I suspect she's never been bombed enough to really appreciate the difference.
Full marks for this vid.
Where did you find it.?

good video for the newcomers to the ganja world

something to think about for those with health issues , sometimes I will roll several hooters , depending on how many people are in the sesh , so everyone can enjoy their own , no passing , no germs , do your own thing with that hooter , caress it , stroke it , play with it all you want.
I don't believe in Germ Theory but...
I'm no purist and probably like to believe I'm thinking ahead (who cares?). So my habitual pattern for smoking is to grind up a whole small jar of bud (probably a couple of ounces or so) then roll up a dozen spliffs or so and stick'em in a jar (I find spice jars are ideal as doobie storage - the small one is for single skinners).
I'm of the opinion that, in most places where it's still illegal, your home grown is mostly better than the street weed at any given time.
I smoked my last prerolled doobies last night and am about to make a batch.
This way I can smoke to my hearts content (but often one - or even half - a J is enough) on the rare occasions a buddy comes round I have something to offer him.
I know it might sound heretical to some - but as an ex engineer I only really pay attention to the results and don't worry if I'm following 'approved' practice or not.
It works for me.
Keep in mind it's hot here most of the year, temps up to 45°C quite often (conditions which you might think would degrade the weed) I don't worry about it and, as with most things in life, I approach it from the point of view - if it works that's OK - if it doesn't, then fix it.
So far I ain't had to fix it. Having a bunch of ready-made means you can bogart your joint and enjoyit to the full - I'm gonna pay close attention to the tips in the video - perhaps I can maximise my enjoyment of this god given plant even more.
IMG_20210910_130631.jpg

Just my perspective

Really excellent - this is a non-bullshyter who's really thought about this and knows what he's talking about. I loved the logic about your lungs especially.
I habitually do most of the the things he talks about here but was not aware of it - just something that's worked out over the years.
My daughter-in-law has never been a cigarette smoker and has some of the biases that the anti-smoking lobby has planted over the years - she is convinced you must never inhale a joint and only take the smoke into mouth & nose - then exhale.
Yet she'll still somehow get "high" (at least she'll say she is high) I suspect she's never been bombed enough to really appreciate the difference.
Full marks for this vid.
Where did you find it.?
He had a show called High Rollers I binge watched He appears to be a well known grower.

Yea he puts out great content I love High Rollers. Just search Ganjier

Damn - Ive been doing it all wrong.
I thought you were supposed to inhale, hold it in, then take another hit inhale ,hold it in, and repeat until you almost pass out.
then youre supposed to exhale and if theres any visible smoke youve been doing it wrong and you have to repeat.
This is really only practical if youre smoking solo.
Me too! Been abusing my lungs all these years. I just ordered a butane lighter too

Latest posts

Back