HPS Price Spectrum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moto-Man

Noli urinae contra ventus
Reaction score
Hey gals 'n guys,

I was wondering why there is such a large variance between lower and higher priced HPS bulbs.

Why should I pay almost $100 for a 600W Hortilux bulb when I can get a GE (made in Hungary) facsimile for less than $10.

Inquiring minds and all that...

Thanks!

Most of the time it is a brand name thing but there are some that differ in lumen output. I have a hortilux ultra spectrum 400watt hps bulb that cost me $95 but puts out about 10,000 to 15,000 more lumens than a $20 to $30 bulb. The more expensice ones could last a little longer too but I have came to the conclusion im tired of paying that much for a bulb so I just buy a few $25 bulbs and replace more frequently in stead of spending $100 at one time. Now I do have to admit I liked the results of my hortilux ultra spectrum bulb over the cheaper brands. Now a regular hortilux bulb is about the same as a cheaper bulb but the ultra spectrums are nice.

Yeah I think its partly brand name pride that jacks the price, but also there is a bit of "you get what you pay for" as well. That is why I try to find the middle priced bulbs to see if I can get better quality equipment that will perform better than the cheap stuff, but not be exclusively priced. I have used the Hortilux, Digilux, Ipower, and Lumatek. I have found that the Digilux perform the best for the price IME, and they have come down in price since they first came out. :)

i also believe its the brand name which comes with better quility that we pay more for , i used too always go for the lower priced more affordable, till i got fed up with them not performing the way i wanted them too. once i spent more and got better results i now put an effert to get the high quility pruducts mostly cause i get the results i seek from them . jmo

I look for the most lumens for the best price. No on has ever shown me anything that has made me believe that more expensive bulbs are better.

I look for the spectrum that I want and the cheap bulbs do not have what I am looking for, so I go with the Digilux.

Hemp goddess is right...it does not matter on the price of the bulb but the lumens of which the bulb gives out. I like the hortilux ultra spectrum bulbs but they run about $95 but put out about 10 to 15,000 more lumens than other brands and seem to last a little longer. What I like to grow by is "What you put into your grow, is what you will get out of your grow". You do not want to cut corners and try to be a cheapskate with your crop. Go big or go home! You will usually triple what you put into it.

!000bulbs.com is my best friend. Like dman I buy cheap and change a lil more often. I am happy with my yields so I won't be changing things. jmo

Latest posts

Back