Hunter turns in growers in MI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the hunter is lucky he was'nt the hunted. how did they not see, or hear him stumble upon thier patch? must not had thier game faces on...

Maybe they should legalize and tax the stuff.....that is a "rescue" plan I could get behind. I know that we could use the income, especially in Michigan. Their economy is in the toilet.

It would have been nice if someone had copied,and pasted the story.

Tip from hunter led to marijuana camp, arrests
Posted by Associated Press September 23, 2008 08:56AM
Categories: Courts and cops

GLADWIN (AP) - A tip from a hunter led to the discovery of 4,011 marijuana plants in Gladwin County and a camp for growers who took care of the pot, investigators said Monday.

Charges were filed against seven people in federal court in Bay City.

"There have been some large seizures on public land throughout the country. But 4,000 plants in Michigan - that's a large grow operation," said agent Richard Isaacson, spokesman for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration in Detroit.

At the camp, there were tents, 100 pounds of flour, cooking oil, a tortilla press and instant noodles, the DEA said.

"I believe the supplies could have fed seven people for approximately one week," DEA agent Robert Derocher said in an affidavit filed in court.

On Sept. 17, a day after getting a call from a hunter, state Trooper William Arndt said he found hundreds of plants on state land in Gladwin County. By the end of the day, the final count was 4,011.

"They did an excellent job of keeping it hidden. The area has very, very light foot traffic," said Arndt, who estimated the street value of the marijuana at $4 million.

Three suspects were immediately arrested and another three were captured in a forest a mile away with help from Enzo, a police dog. The seventh defendant was arrested Friday about five miles east of Gladwin.

dang snitches.i would never turn no one in for almost anything.i do not like the commercial grower,but i'm still not a snitch.old school

the only time I would turn the crop in is if it was on private land of a friend, and I'd tell them 1st ;) on public property, I'd just fertilize em and move along after the game I'm after :woohoo: Here in the UP, there is alot of public land and easy places to put a crop :hubba:

Reactions: SFC
BlueSmoke said:
At the camp, there were tents, 100 pounds of flour, cooking oil, a tortilla press and instant noodles, the DEA said.

"I believe the supplies could have fed seven people for approximately one week," DEA agent Robert Derocher said in an affidavit filed in court.

Ya gotta laugh 'cause these growers musta been smokin' the stuff right there! How else are you gonna eat that many tortillas in a week??? That's almost 15lbs dry weight of flour per person. By the time you add oil and water it probably doubles to triples the actual weight (guessing). That's 4 to 6 pounds of tortillas a day... minimum... PER PERSON!!! (If that don't seem like much, check out just what a 2lbs package looks like next time you are at the store) Not to mention the instant noodles. No wonder those growers couldn't run from the cops.:rofl: And since when did they start claiming plants to only be worth $1,000 a pop??? Ha! I think this cop's been sampling the evidence and got his self all mixed up!!!

I believe we know more than DEA does...over marijuana facts....

Either way, If I was that hunter I would not hunt there anymore. Not only that but his snitching ways have made that place dangerous for everyone else. Good job snitch! People need to learn to mind their own business.

good snitch is a dead snitch.they do need to do some time,then they turn from snitch to btch

Maybe I am the one that just doesn't get it, and if so... I surely don't wish to take a verbal ***kicking from you guys but.... I am not sure I am following the animosity torwards this hunter. I mean I know snitching is snitching but let's look at this thing a little closer. Even though they never came right out and said it (in this article) there is a fairly strong arguement from normal folks like us that these guys were probably of the 'Mexican cartel' ilk. That is something I do have an issue with. When it comes to the pratices of imported mass growers (Mexican or otherwise), wether it's 4,000 or 40,000 plants, go grow them in your own back yard! Frankly I think all they do is bring more (anti drug funding) heat for the small time guys. Even if these guys were 'local Joes', they are slightly out of their reccomendations. Now I am not about to suggest that most folk don't push that boundry, or even that they shouldn't. My opinion here is mute. Seems to me though that when those boundries are pushed far beyond, it gives the anti drug activists/legislators plenty enough ammunition against any ground we have gained thus far. As for myself, if I walked into a garden that was 10, 20, 100, 150 or whatever plants strong, I never saw nothing and don't know **** about **** and kindly say "Have a great day" and walk out. But if I were to walk into a garden with, say, 55,000 plants and tortilla presses and empty salsa bottles lying everywhere... I dunno what I would do. (note: The previous statement in no way was meant to be offensive to my Latin brothers, it's merely a 'cartel' thing..) I mean is it cool that these guys are doing this??? These guys aren't breeding, politically activating or even keeping grow logs to do their part in helping anyone. They don't give one flying **** about you or me or the land they're pissing on. Why are we for it again??? Not only that but if you are going to grow a huge garden then you should expect that someone is going to see something sometime. It's inevitable these days. That hunter is going to be there. We know this. At least most of us are paranoid enough to know it is true. My biggest grow was 120 and I was certain there were people in my garden every single day. I was almost never without that 'someone is watching' feeling in me. (by the way, that was almost 25 years ago) I dunno, maybe I need to think on this more. I am not saying I would snitch, I am just saying if the circumstances were right I would have to think long and hard about it. Comments are welcome. Some one help me see this 'light'.

I am not sure that the hunter had immigration or cartel views when they turned the grower in, but maybe.

Either way, that is a big grow.....and I think I am preferring to get better quality, home grown stuff. Also, if I can support my local economy by purchasing supplies and such....even better for the Michigan economy.

Reactions: SFC
You make a good point Nv, and I don't want Mexican growers on our turf either. But I doubt this guy knew they were Mexicans. The Mexican aspect of it does muddy the water a bit, but I will still come down on the side of keeping my mouth shut, unless of course I was sure.

these fricken' beaners (for those of u who r goin bash me as a racist I hate all races) are gonna mess up prop 1 in MI by giving a worse image of mj. hunter should of plucked em off & continued the op. no one would of missed em!:eek: crappy thing is only 6 miles from friends property on tittabawassee river!

I am betting that you will see more busts being highly publicized between now and Nov 4th.

(Hope this is not too political for the mods.)

snitches get stitches.

i hunt and would never turn in a plot. ever. mind your own buisiness and move along on public land. on private land at least check with the landowner and make sure your not tipping over someones life for a personal grow. idk what in the world i'd do with 4000 plants besides sell it but 250 yeas ago apparently i could haul it to the county courthouse to pay my taxes with.

For those of you that are from Michigan, don't you wonder why everything has been so quiet about Proposition 1? You would think that there would be some ads opposing it. I know that the latest polls favor the proposal 3 to 1, and in the past couple of weeks both the Detroit News and the Free Press have written favorable articles, calling on Michigan to be compassionate in the voting booth...we just might win this...I may soon be legal!! I discussed this with my doctor just the other day and he said its about time, so I'm quite sure that he'd sign my recommendation.

Peace...j.b.

That is funny. Probably most politicians think they couldn't swing popular opinion on that one anyway and at 3 to 1 it would probably appear to be political suicide to even try, imo. I dunno, times they are a changing...

Latest posts

Back