Hydro Grow - First timer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.N.T.

Reaction score
started an indoor grow...2x morning dew (cind99Xendless sky, 2x hazeXskunk... got them germ'd though two were planted outside because they were either damage/dead/or slow.

I'm gonna to be using this hydro system when it arrives.
5 gallon 1 plant aero hydroponic system GROW garden

Can anyone give me an initial advice or feedback :D

I've ordered ferts...
-Advanced Nutrients Mother Earth Super Tea Bloom - 1L
-Advanced Nutrients Mother Earth Super Tea Grow - 1L

INITIAL LIGHTS
-Prolights 6500K 26W CFLs (6 of them hanging currently)

im hanging the cfls now, suspended above the seedling... i inspected the growing seedling and it looks like another day or two it will be breaking the soil and popping up! Same with the upstairs one under the higher fluorescents.

I hope the power cords are strong enough to hang the fixtures and light bulbs... you think im good? I had no special rigging in mind.

I started with soil as my hydro gear may not be here for another week! Will either transplant to hydro or move outside these plants. PICS! ->

My phone's camera is better than my digi haha, took these with my cell.

7. Please post all of your pictures on this site. Linking to other sites has inherent risks involved that should be kept to a minimum if at all possible. We have both a Gallery and the ability to post as many as 3 pictures with each post you make. Please post your pictures here, instead of linking to them. Also we discovered that quite a number pictures hosted on other sites gets deleted after some time making the threads worthless on our forums.

T.N.T. said:
I hope the power cords are strong enough to hang the fixtures and light bulbs... you think im good? .

Sounds like a great start and those beans sound really good...but this part above scares me. I would get some thin chain from a home improvement store or a place like Walmart or Kmart. The thin link chain with some S hooks and you are good to go. If you need to raise or lower anything just use a pair of pliers on the chain to adjust it. The chain I use is 20 pound test. I have used the hi-low hangers, but all 6 of them I have ever used do not work properly and only give about 2-3 feet of string on each one. Since I use cool tubes they are really light and I guess the hangers were built for more heavy lights because no matter how hard I tighten the nut on them the cord will not stay out, it wants to roll back up. Only way I coud get em to work was to tie a knot around a nut so that the cord would not retract, but then adjusting the lights was a pain each time so a I went with the chain.
But this is just how I hang my HPS lights. I veg under fluros and CFL's. If you go to a home improvement store (I have seen them at other places as well, even the grocery store), you can find the little plug in light and clamp with a reflective little hood for like $5-10...pic below..... My vegging plants sit in pots with stakes in a box with fluro tubes on the walls and top of the box. If the plants start to get too large in veg and need more light I add these clamp light CFL's to the stakes that hold the plants. I can get them wherever on the plant I need more light this way.

Jack Herer cat 001.jpg

YESSSSSS....
good call man, thanks for reminding me. I found a few of those reflector lamps in an upstairs closet! Forgot we had those. So now i have two more CFLs with reflectors in the room.

Ill have to see about the lights either rope or metal chains like u said, i dont want to have to worry.

the setup minus the marlar film screening, fans, timers, carbon filters, hydro gear, etc
since i cant post pics yet u can go here to check em out...
mjp.com/ic/showthread.php?p=2418981#post2418981

Seedling coming up! Also a second pot next to it with one coming up as well, just moved it down to the CFL room because under fluorescent that were about 12 inches high on an orchid growing rack it was growing too slow.

As I said this is the very early stages... i starting growing some soil-potted seeds as I didn't want to wait for the hydro gear which should be here next week. Waiting up on mylar filming, 5-gall hydro setup, organic hydro nutes, and a few other things.

Only took a pic of this first plant... other one is barely above ground yet, still trying to find its way
hXXp://www.mjp.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=13209&stc=1&d=1244762075
hXXp://www.mjp.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=13210&stc=1&d=1244762075

Order waiting for...

Hydro System Includes
1 - 5 gallon bucket reservoir either green,yellow,purple or blue
1 - 6 inch net pot heavy duty
4 - Rockwool cubes
1 - Air pump good for 5 gallons
1 - Large 6" air stone for lots of bubbles
1 - Air tube 2ft
1 - Easy to follow instructions
1 - Plenty of Hydroton

-Advanced Nutrients Mother Earth Super Tea Bloom - 1L
-Advanced Nutrients Mother Earth Super Tea Grow - 1L
-Mylar 2-mil - 10ft , and 1-mil polyproplyn (lower quality mylar)
-FloraMist Plant Misting System (cause im too lazy to borrow or find a sprayer at the store)

So as you can see I'm waiting up on a lot of stuff! Was also considering getting the Home Grow XS box but i cant afford it right now.

Here are pics of current setup. Only using one 6500K 26W CFL right now, no need for overkill with the lights just yet. Two organic soil based plants both seedlings above ground now (dumped the reg. old soil I was using and switched in all organic plant food mix).

hXXp://www.mjp.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=13226&stc=1&d=1244770555
hXXp://www.mjp.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=13227&stc=1&d=1244770555

Anything im missing here? Anything you think I need to immediately change or get? I know I might need a timer eventually but I plan to leave it on 24/7 to start.

m afraid i might have killed the seedlings...
trans. to organic outdoor plant food which i think was rated 5-5-2, i thought it would be better then the outdoor soil but trans. on day 1 above ground prob. a really bad idea... plus there isnt really any real dirt its all the moist/soaked (dryer now) organic mix.

Latest posts

Back