I am a Rookie and want to know how to sex my plants!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreasman

Reaction score
I have 3 plants that I planted on April 21(a day late I know). I read how to sex them and I still do not have a clue! What is a pistol and a nod? When I count the 4th nod do I count from the top of the plant down or from the bottom to the top? Any detailed info and even pictures will help! I want to raise my girls right! Thank You!

PuffTheMagicDragon said:
give it another week

Unless he is in 12/12 lighting he is not going to see sex.
If they are growing outside you have quite a bit of time before flowering, at least here were I live.

andreasman said:
What is a pistol and a nod? When I count the 4th nod do I count from the top of the plant down or from the bottom to the top? quote]

Hey dude,
A node is each point of the main stem where side branches come off of it. When vegging each set of nods line up with each other. When they begin to alternate ( on side higher then the other ) its time to flower. Nodes are counted from the bottom up.
Happy growing
cj

Once you get into the flowering stage, if you see what looks like "balls" on your plant it is a male. Here's a pic of what to look for on a male....courtesy of someone on this forum but I can't remember for sure who posted the pic originally.

b100f6cb.jpg

How long after the lighting switch? Thanx for the reply!

Growdude said:
Unless he is in 12/12 lighting he is not going to see sex.
If they are growing outside you have quite a bit of time before flowering, at least here were I live.

Hi im also a rookie, do i keep the lighting on 24/7 until they start alternating the nodes? then 12/12 can someone get back to me with some lighting advice ! sorry if im posting in the wrong place i hate forums! :)

I only left my lights on 24/7 for about 2 weeks and then I went to 18/6 for a while. I left mine get about 18 inches tall before I went to 12/12. They had alternating nodes at that point. I'm on 12/12 now starting my third week today.

Latest posts

Back