I dont get it - is it legal to grow MJ in Amsterdam?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toni Montana

Reaction score
In which countries is it legal to grow MJ?

Besides that, a lot of people in Amsterdam maintain seed banks and alot of varieties are grown within Holland.

I take it that MJ is legal to grow there then? If it not legal then how do they grow it to maintain the supply of seeds or supply to coffe shops?

If it is legal to grow in Amsterdam I might consider moving there.

Thank You

It's not legal to grow under artificial light. You can grow up to 6 plants (no matter how big they get) in or under sun light, wether in a greenhouse or outside. In the winter you cannot grow because of the light cycle is too short.

It's legal to trade cannabis seeds in Holland.

Coffeeshops can sell cannabis and hash but they cannot have more then a certain supply within their shops.

Then the question arises how do the coffeeshops get their stock?? haha good question, nobody wants to know about that one.

the way I know it from people, and tourist that went there and told me..
in amsterdam, if you are living there, you are allowed to grow 5 plants per roof.. and all legal there yes.. even law in there says kids can smoke and drink under parent s supervised.. very intz!!

actually amsterdam is a home of marijauna you can sleep with weed there in nice swiss bed and have a break from law madness lmao

MarPassion said:
It's not legal to grow under artificial light. You can grow up to 6 plants (no matter how big they get) in or under sun light, wether in a greenhouse or outside. In the winter you cannot grow because of the light cycle is too short.

Coffeeshops can sell cannabis and hash but they cannot have more then a certain supply within their shops.

Then the question arises how do the coffeeshops get their stock?? haha good question, nobody wants to know about that one.

opps, thanks for clear that up for me... no grow light oh okay.. marpass know more than I do that what I figured that answer ur question MY BAD

well....if there is a place where we can grow under the arf. lights, or outside, no matter how many plants, can stock unlimit... and can carry in running vechile .. let me know!! I would love to know where that country that can do these... I would consider go there..

papabeach1 said:
well....if there is a place where we can grow under the arf. lights, or outside, no matter how many plants, can stock unlimit... and can carry in running vechile .. let me know!! I would love to know where that country that can do these... I would consider go there..
there are 13 states presently, right here in the U.S. of A. that say it is perfectly legal, with your medical provision.

MarPassion said:

...strange. Why does artificial light make it illegal?

I saw video on youtube from Greenhouse seedback where they demonstrate growing the WW and they specifically said they were cutting back the light to 12 / 12. It was a link provided by one of the members here.

They say that cannabis plants are the number cash crop in the US - I take it they mean hemp and not MJ?

MarPassion said:

Hi

I was just doing some digging around and apparently people do grow lots of marijuana although it is illegal to do that in Holland on a mass scale but the cops turn a blind eye.

There is no way people are maintaining seed bank by growing 6 plants - they obviously have factories otherwise they would not be have any seeds left.

So without hard fact I can only conclude that have been running factories to produce MJ even though it is illegal the cops are cool with it. This in turn helps explain how they maintain their seed banks and are able to grow new varieties.

If I got it wrong then please do correct me.

Thanks

a passage from erowid.com http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_law.shtml

Netherlands #
Although cannabis is technically illegal to possess and sell in the Netherlands, the government does not prosecute individuals (over 18) who smoke cannabis. Possession of less than 5 grams or growing of less than 5 plants will not be prosecuted. Certain cafes/coffee shops are allowed to sell cannabis and hold 100 grams behind the counter and another 500 grams in the back. Paradoxically, we have received unconfirmed reports that coffee shops are not allowed to legally purchase cannabis. In March of 2003, the Dutch government changed the law to allow doctors to prescribe cannabis for medical purposes through pharmacies. BBC Sep 2003.

On Jan 1, 2008, Dutch police will officially be disallowed from smoking cannabis while off duty. Dutch police complain it is their right to smoke cannabis while off-duty, Dec 15 2007, DailyMail.

From what I understand through my forum experience on seedbank websites, major seedbank dealers (dr chronic for instance) get their seeds from a variety of places and just not from locally grown sources. for instance, a guy from Spain ships seeds to dr chronic as well as a man from Australia (it is legal in spain to sell seeds and in australia weed has been decriminalized depending on your state. my friend who visited australia said people smoke weed everywhere though it is all homegrown "dirt" weed varieties due to the analness of customs with their agricultural scanners in preventing foreign contamination of their ecosystem)

A friend of mine was caught 2 or 3 times can't remember, around 100 plants with about 6 X 600 watts lights. Ofcourse this is commercial growing but what happened is that they didn't do anything with it. they don't give you a criminal record or anything. Maybe when you have a few hundred plants they do.

What the cops do is, when they hear a complain about smell or anything they have to act, and remove the grow room, that's there duty. They might also check on rooftops etc.

There are a lot of growrooms in Holland and most of them steal electricity and that's a crime you will be sentenced by doing that.

With the coffeshops, it's just a grey area. But lately a lot of them are closed, so it's getting tougher here. Here we go backwards and in the USA it seems to go forward. So let see what happens.

A good place to go is Puri in India, you can smoke for all day long legally and it doesn't cost much ;-)

Looks like I have to get my *** out of the UK and see what is going on in the world with regards to MJ.

You say Puri India - who are the seed banks there?

I was in Punjab beginning of the year and the stuff is everywhere - but obviously that is hemp I think.

By the way - how seeds on average do you get out of a MJ plant?

I would be almost 100% sure that the "artificial light" thing is **. Walk into the Hemp Museum, or the Bulldog cafe. The Hemp Museum has at least 7 plants growing under artificial lights. The Bulldog has a couple themselves. Ill try to find my photos and post one in this thread.

Pot IS illegal in holland, but tolerated. its a tough concept for us to understand in the states. My understanding is that any nation that is part of the UN has to make it illegal. (thanks to the good ole US of A) Thats why its illegal in Nepal and India, but no one cares. Its a law, its just not enforced. Like this one, believe it or not. In South Dakota, if 3 or more native americans assemble, they are considered a "war party" and can be legally fired upon. Dont believe me? Look it up, its a law that is still on the books. Would anyone actually enforce it though? Would it hold up in court?

Latest posts

Back