I don't know how to germinate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullcandy

Reaction score
:holysheep:I just got some seeds critical kush, pinnapple chuck, & blue lemon thai all seeds are fem thing is I have one seed of each, and really need them to survive, I have never germinated. the blue lemon will grow out doors spring is starting where I live the other two will be DWC in a tent. what would be the best or easiest way to start all three and how big do I get them before I can transplant them to the dwc and the other to large pot planter out doors :hubba:

Hi skullcandy,
this is my favorite way to germinate: hmmp://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Germination-Guide

I enjoy using Rapid Rooters or rockwool when running my DWC. I do it having 2 trays, one holds water the other holds the plugs about 1/4" above water level. I transplant as soon as a bunch of roots start poking out

For soil, I use soil, planted about 1/4" down.

pcduck said:
I enjoy using Rapid Rooters or rockwool when running my DWC. I do it having 2 trays, one holds water the other holds the plugs about 1/4" above water level. I transplant as soon as a bunch of roots start poking out

For soil, I use soil, planted about 1/4" down.

can I start the soil in say a solo cup does in need drain holes at the bottom

Rosebud said:
Hi skullcandy,
this is my favorite way to germinate: hmmp://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Germination-Guide

my seeds say barneys farm will this make a difference. I know silly question sorry I think I am nervous

You should have holes in the bottom for sure, many germ techniques work, i just drop them in water for 24 hours and then into cups of soil, GL

skullcandy said:
my seeds say barneys farm will this make a difference. I know silly question sorry I think I am nervous

No, thats a good germ technique Rose has given to you, will work for all seeds.

I have had great success with that way. Don't be nervous, they grow alongside the road and germinate with out us...you can do it.

I have holes in the bottom and sides of a Solo cup.

i drop them into a glass of water---set them on a warm surface like the cable box---usually crack in a couple days---drop into 1 gal soil pots with the tail pointed down---water and patiently wait for them to break ground

good read rosebud thanks.

what type of soil can be used for germination a potting soil or a fertalized one like FFOF

Try this method.

Put seed in glass of water. Allow to germinate. Place in soil after germinated.

See how easy that was? :hubba:

Thought that this might be a little help to your grow.

Germination:
This is the initial stage of growth and occurs when your seed’s embryo cracks open and the seedling produces a root. This root fixes itself into the soil and pushes the newborn seeding up and over the soil surface. Following surface contact two embryonic leaves open outwards to receive sunlight, pushing the empty seed shell away from the seedling. It takes anywhere between 12 hours to 3 weeks for seeds to germinate. Once the plant has reached this stage it goes into the seedling stage.

Seedling Stage:
After the first pair of embryonic leaves are receiving light, the plant will begin to produce another small set of new leaves. These leaves are different from the last and may have some Marijuana characteristics such as the three rounded finger shaped points. As the seedling grows more of these leaves are formed and bush upwards along with a stem. Some stems are very weak at this stage and need the support of a small thin wooden stake tied to the seedling with some fine thread. The seedling stage can last between 1 and 3 weeks. At the end of the seedling stage your plant will have maybe 4 – 8 new leaves. Some of the old bottom leaves may drop off.

Vegetative Growth:
The plant now begins to grow at the rate which its leaves can produce energy. At this stage the plant needs all the light and food it can get. It will continue to grow upwards producing new leaves as it moves along. It will also produce a thicker stem with thicker branches and with more fingers on the leaves. It will eventually start to show its sex. When it does this it is time for the plant’s pre-flowering stage. It can take anywhere between 1 and 5 months for the plant to hit this next stage.

Pre-flowering:
At this stage the plant slows down in developing its height and starts to produce more branches and nodes. The plant fills out in the pre-flowering stage. During this phase of the plant cycle your plant will start to show a calyx which appears where the branches meet the stem (nodes). Pre-flowering can take anywhere between 1 day to 2 weeks.

Flowering:
During this stage the plant continues to fill out. The plant will show its sex clearly. The male plant produces little balls that are clustered together like grapes. The female plant produces little white/cream pistils that look like hairs in a pod. Each of the plants will continue to fill out more and their flowers will continue to grow. It can take anywhere between 4 to 16 weeks for the plant to fully develop its flowers. During this time the male’s pollen sacks would have burst spreading pollen to the female flowers.

Seed:
The female plant will produce seeds at this point if she has received viable pollen from a male plant. The seeds grow within the female bud and can take anywhere between 2 weeks to 16 weeks, to grow to full maturity. The female pistils may change colour before finally bursting the seedpods, sending them to the soil below. (Breeders like to collect their seed before the seedpods burst.)

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna:icon_smile:

everyone's given you such good info, I'll throw my germ technique which really isn't much of one.

Put seed in individual cups of water or shot glasses of water until it sink (around a day)

Once it sinks, Presoak Miracle Grow Seedling Starter Mix. Put 1/8" to 1/4" inch deep hole and drop in seed. 5 daze later they'll be popping their heads up.

Most ppl don't put them under light right away but I do to keep it nice and moist and warm, so as soon it sheds its helmet and shows it's coteyldon's, they'll be able to take in that beautiful light.

your right they all have including you 7green eyes I am just going to try a few of them till I find one I like

Some of the deeper Skinny,

Soaking seeds in water/wet paper towels is a method which can be used for old seeds (3+ years) that are drying up and losing germination power; and for pure land race equatorial strains such as from Africa. Fresh seeds have a healthy embryo whose cells are filled with water, but excess water causes the cells to bloat, depletes oxygen and leads to the tissue rotting away before the seed embryo can germinate.

Old seeds have lost water in the cell tissue, the embryo starts to shrivel, which is why germination rates drop the older the seeds are. Therefore, old seeds (ie. 3+ years) can soak up more water before adverse conditions cause them to rot. This is one of the main reasons why various seed stock reacts differently to pre-germination methods.

Some growers make the mistake of soaking seeds in water for up to 1-2 days because it may have worked in the past with other seeds. This does not mean, however, that this method can be used for all seeds. In fact, old stock or equatorial cannabis seeds should only be soaked in water for a few hours at the most.

Warm heating pad, sterile non bleached, no color, and no pretty patterns using coloring at all for using paper towels.

I have seen lots of folks try to sprout beans using this method, but they all forget that those plates get cold.

Remember that beans dropped by the mother plant outdoors have to go through a dormant time, (winter) usually.

Then the spring warm up of the ground trips the beans into sprouting. The conditions have to be pretty much correct for this to happen in nature.

Go slow, and set it all in place first before you introduce the beans. For the beans early life I prefer to use distilled water, but as soon as the bean is established in soil I start to use my aquarium water. The young plants love the small amounts of nitrates from the fish excretions, and the uneaten food.

Timing for the introduction to light is also important.

A new start pokes it's head above the soil, and starts utilizing light immediately...

You do not want to use a 400 watt HPS on newborn's ya know ?. A soft grow cfl will work for a week or two until baby starts to toughen up a tad. Only after baby has a good start then you want to introduce stronger lighting, and a fan for plant movement to help toughen the stalk. As with all plants easy does it...

Good luck and let us know how you are doing on your project won't you...

smoke in peace

Just dropping off my $0.02.

First time germing, I tried a cup of water, did it for 24 hours... after the first few hours I "tapped them" to get them to sink to the bottom. I only got 3 of 5 for my first go at germing.

Since then, I've used the paper towel method and not only am I 100% for germ rate, they've germed SO fast every single time.

I put a double paper towel down, in a saucer type dish... soak it so it's fully wet. Place the seeds, then put another double paper towel over and pour water on that until fully soaked. Next day, tap roots. Next night.. plant them.

I'll never stray from the paper towel method again.

Also, random note... I think I want to deal with seeds for the rest of existence. Clones just die on me, and I KNOW I'm doing the process perfectly! I'm quite sure heat stress was the only reason I haven't done only but 2 successful clones out of about 20 :confused2:

Beans popping,

yessir that is good to hear. So skull, now in the end run of germinating what do you hope to have that is viable and growing ?. Pulling up a small chair to watch, Hope you don't mind an audience...LOL

smoke in peace

Latest posts

Back