I need Electrical advice????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the red wire you have is not ground wire connect that as + positive (do you have a power tester ??) switch them around just remember i told you you will have 3 wires hahah sorry
in europ red means hot in us is black one , put black and red as plus and white as minus if its not workin put white and red as plus and black as minus and let me know whats up

brouli said:
the red wire you have is not ground wire connect that as + positive (do you have a power tester ??) switch them around just remember i told you you will have 3 wires hahah sorry
in europ red means hot in us is black one , put black and red as plus and white as minus if its not workin put white and red as plus and black as minus and let me know whats up

my bad i didnt even realize there was a second page, btw i am in the u.s i dont know why they used a red wire. but theres a black a white and a red. so put the red and the black on the hot and the white on the white of course?? and then nothing on the green screw..??:ccc:

Actually in the US, white is the hot, black is the ground. (Make sure you don't plug any polarized equipment into this outlet if you don't believe me lol). The green you can usually bolt a wire to the electrical box, or the redneck way, which is just attach a wire to the outlet, then let it touch the inside of the box. Thats how my neighbors house is set up.

If you have a switch controlling a light from two locations, you have a 3-way switch. there will be 2 wires comming in, white, and black (of course a bare one too). Then there will be 3 wires leaving. Black, White, and Red which will go to the switch in the other room. If you want an outlet in your closet instead of a switch, but want to use the switch and light in the other room this is what you need to do. Look at the wires and decide where they come from. Attach the wires feeding to the receptacle. Black to brass, white to silver, and the bare wire to the green. Make sure that bare is still around the screw in the box. Then attach the black wire going to the other room to the other brass screw and the white to the other silver. Make sure the ones going in with power are on the top, and the ones leaving on the bottom. (green screw goes down, thats how you tell the right way). The red wire will no longer be used. Marrette the end just in case something else is feeding that wire. Also, make sure the bare wiring going to the other switch is also under the screw in the box (not on the receptacle). Go to the switch in the other room and take that switch out. Put a marrette on the red wire again. Now you will need a single pole switch. you can no longer use that 3 way switch. put the switch so that when it is in the "off" position, the toggle (part u flight up and down) is facing down. Put the black wire comming into the box on the top brass screw. Then put the black wire going to the light on the bottom brass screw. The two white wires dont go to this switch, and neither does the bare ground. You must marette the two white wires together so they continue on. The ground (bare wires) will probably already attached to the box.

Sounds complicated, but it's really not. I can try to video tape it and upload it if you want a demonstration.

If you open it up and there isnt 3 wires, it's not a 3 way. Come back and post again and I'll figure it out. Maybe take some picutres of it for me.

IMPORTANT: Turn the power off! Plug a radio into the outlet and turn it up high. turn the breakers off one by one until it shuts off making sure to turn back on the other ones. You can go to homedepot and get what is called a greenlee gt-11. It detect electrical current in the black wire only. Turn it on, stick it over the black wire. If it buzzes you didn't get it turned off. This costs about 20$ and the switch will cost about 85 cents.

Holy crap. I just looked at the picture you have. You're lucky you didn't blow up your receptacle and blow your breaker to ****.

A) white is not hot, it is called a "neutral" but in some cases "an identified conductor". It carries the imballenced load, and also completes a circuit.

in your picture you have the red wire (hot) on your ground screw. Other then that it looks like your wiring is correct. Dont use the red at all. Put the bare where the red is. Now to get your switch working put the other black on the same side as your other black, and the other white on the same side as your white. Also change the switch in the other room as I told you above.

Actually, good new is. Your receptacle should be working right now LoL and as I realize, the red isn't carrying anything, So it wouldn't have done any harm. Just take it off and cap it off and get your ground on there.

not finally got it working either... just the paintjob but its a link instead of a thumbnail.

my outlet is not working yet

and there is only one set of ( 3) wires for each box. they all are in the same caseing white black and red. NO BARE ones...

so just use the black and white in the closet and cap the RED ???

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I love advices in your post
let me know when you got it to work

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No still nothing Brouli its been a hellion i dont know maybe theres to much power drawing from the computer room... :confused:

no that got nothing to do with amount of power :(

oh ok.. and how do u get reputations? are those the green dots ?

yeaaa go to your User CP and on the bottom you see who give you some i see you got 2 boxes now :)

Man, without a bare ground, I wouldn't touch the thing. You could plug in something that needs a ground like a drill and get yourself electrocuted. Can you take a picture of the box for me? like take out the switch/receptacle in the closet and let me see the whole thing. and do the same for the other switch.

The problem is you have a 3 way crkt and the power wire can be fed to the light first or any of the 3 way switches.

From your pictures I only see 3 wires at each switch so the feed wire is in your light fixtures box.

There the white wire will be going directly to the light.
Here is your problem, you have no neutral wire in your switch box, you only are switching the hot wire beetween the 2 switches.

You need to take the light fixture down and see if you have a hot feed in there, it will be a 2 conducter wire.Also there should be the 3 wire from each switch for a total of 8 wires in there.

Do what WrEkkED said and put a single pole switch where you want the switch and wire the Hot to go down to that switch and back to the light.
(Ex. use the black wire that goes to the switch and wire it to the Hot then take the red one from the switch and wire it to the light.)

That should make the light work.

Then take the Hot at the light and wire it to you new outlet, you will have to take the white wire and connect it to the neutral wire at the light.

And the outlet should be Working.

Here is a link to a picture of a 3 way switches wireing. http://www.handymanwire.com/articles/3wayswitch.html
This picture is how I believe yours is wired.

Man this is confusing as all h*ll, but ill try this and see what happens... :(

(qoute from GROWDUDE)

Do what WrEkkED said and put a single pole switch where you want the switch and wire the Hot to go down to that switch and back to the light.
(Ex. use the black wire that goes to the switch and wire it to the Hot then take the red one from the switch and wire it to the light.)

So i need to change the switch in the computer room ( where the light is located) or just change the wirings?

BushyKush420 said:
(qoute from GROWDUDE)

So i need to change the switch in the computer room ( where the light is located) or just change the wirings?

If you wire it to just the common and one pole or terminal on the switch it will work.

Ok...

After studying these pictures over and over, and writting this instruction about 3 times and erasing it each time, I have come to the conclusuion that only one thing can save you, a complete rewire.

I'd stick that old switch in and leave it be. You don't have enough wires for that receptacle. point blank, it's not possible. I kept thinking I could, obviously going against all safety codes, but the laws of physics won't allow it either.

They have the neutral go right to the light and doesn;t go through either box. I'd bet you 1000$ it's in the ceiling and totally unaccessable. The black "hot" goes into the switch and has a white (now known as an identified condutor, and in this case a traveler) and the red is a traveler too. They go into the 3 way switch in the other room and the black "hot" will then go to the light at that point. They don't do new homes for reasons like this, but unfortunatly, that's the way it goes. You could get it working, but you have have to cut some holes into your walls and repatch them. Wouldn't be hard, just time consuming. I don't know if it's worth it to you or not.

Sorry about the bad luck! I would just run an extension cord from another location if you need power in your closet.

Latest posts

Back