I set you all a challenge!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol Hippy, I had a J and sat down to have a go, every time that blooming buzzer went I jumped, took it for ten mins enough i say lmao.
Peace
Artfan

:hairpull:

Does this really have a solution? You just screwing with me?

Gave up! All i had left was one utility left for the last house but it gets stuck. Grrrrrrrrr

dmack said:
Gave up! All i had left was one utility left for the last house but it gets stuck. Grrrrrrrrr

SAME HERE!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
*&#@^#@*&#^@&*$^!!!!!!:holysheep: And double *&#*&@#!@#!(*!&@#@*(^!!!! LOL

According to the DR. Math website... It is unsolvable in a 2 dimensional plane.

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/57927.html

Getting All the Utilities to Each House

Date: 17 May 1995 08:43:27 -0400
Subject: Puzzle

I've been stumped-here's the problem: Draw 3 one inch squares representing
houses horizontally across the page. Draw three circles, one under each
square. Number your squares and put a G for gas , E for electric, and W for
water in each circle. Your job is to connect each utility to each home
WITHOUT crossing any lines. You may not pass a line through a house or
other utility circle. Leave an inch and a half between each house. Put each
circle an inch below each square.

Mr. Borstein.
Date: 9 Jun 1995 11:05:33 -0400
Subject: Puzzle

Hello there!

I'm afraid your problem kind of got lost in the shuffle of problems. Also,
I hope I can make you feel a little better about the fact that you couldn't
solve it, because there is no solution possible.

What's neat (and you might want to pass this along as a challenge to your
students) is that while the problem can't be solved in the Euclidean plane,
it CAN be done on the surface of a torus (a doughnut). See if your students
can figure out why.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Three Houses, Three Utilities

Date: 07/15/99 at 01:43:02 From: Chris Subject: Lines, etc. I know that you have answered this before: the question about the three houses and the three utilities (gas, electricity, water). Well, the guy who gave me this puzzle says there is a way of solving it in 2D, without any tricks. He says that it is simple, once you figure it out. I don't get it. Everywhere, it says that it can only be done using 3 dimensions. Can you solve it using 2 dimensions? How? Thank you very much :) Date: 07/15/99 at 12:38:34 From: Doctor Rob Subject: Re: Lines, etc. Thanks for writing to Ask Dr. Math! You can only solve this if you allow one of the utility lines to run through someone else's house, or through one of the other utility companies, which I suppose is possible, but is usually forbidden by the conditions of the puzzle. - Doctor Rob, The Math Forum http://mathforum.org/dr.math/ Date: 07/15/99 at 12:46:43 From: Doctor Peterson Subject: Re: lines, etc. Hi, Chris. He may not call it a trick, but any solution that's really 2D (that is, done just by drawing non-intersecting curves on a flat sheet of paper) has to twist the rules somehow. He might, for example, draw the houses as rectangles and say that it's legal to open the front and back doors of one house and pass a pipe through. I call that a trick. Another trick is to solve it on the surface of a donut (a torus) and point out that any surface is itself 2-dimensional, even though it exists in a 3-dimensional space. Or you can allow going around to the other side of the paper through a hole, which is essentially the same thing, as this answer points out: http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/tone.7.19.96.html When the problem is stated carefully in mathematical terms (continuous non-intersecting curves from each of three points to each of three other points), there's no solution; but presented in terms of houses and utilities (which are inherently three-dimensional), there are lots of ways to get around it. I'd like to hear what his answer is. - Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

I just spent two hours on that, and NOW you tell us there is no solutions....:holysheep:

:eek:

Well, HippyInEngland, if you worked it out, you will have to give us the solution and prove Dr. Math wrong. LOL:hubba:

I'm gonna have to work on this one using 3d. If I get it worked up and my idea works. I'll post up some images. The answer is in the Z plane being factored in with the X and Y plane.

EDIT never mind....has to be 2d huh.

:holysheep:
Mutt said:
I'm gonna have to work on this one using 3d. If I get it worked up and my idea works. I'll post up some images. The answer is in the Z plane being factored in with the X and Y plane.

that was what i was going to say but MUTT beat me to it! LOL..

It is solvable, im going away for a couple of days, i will post how to solve it when i get back lol
Are we allowed to give you bad rep if you're lying? ;):p

This is really hard, Hippy. but I am determined to figure it out . Please, please, please don't reveal the answer that soon. That only leaves me small amount of time in the evenings and in the mornings to figure it out. two days, crap!!!

Damn dude... I have tried every combination in the book... I want to know "the trick".

Damn, this puzzle, just kidding. I really want to solve this thing. Just imagine the feeling of accomplishment. Problem I'm having is keeping my lines straight. kind of hard to do with a mouse. I keep coming up short of one utility, even tried playing some Mozart thinking maybe with a couple more IQ points I might have the power!! I just get tired of looking at those damned houses.

Latest posts

Back