If you get 1 seed per plant is it female?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amaethon said:
...not trying to contaminate the gene pool or even do any breeding, just curious more than anything. I'm sure I will plant a few to see what happens anyway but that is few weeks away yet....

Please do not plant these. If you are truly sincere about not wanting to contaminate the gene pool, you will throw these seeds away.

:yeahthat: If you plant and the pollen from a male gets out it can seed plants miles away. IT is better IMO to not use any seeds with the Hermi characterics.

Unreal. Does the weed get u high? Are u a breeder? A few seeds. Chance, some pollen got em. They're female that got a some male pollen on em. Bet ya those seeds u replant will not be hermi. Hell, in the old days all weed had seeds, now we're talking about "destroying" the plant and seeds?Let it grow-JR

sorry 2dog-missed your post. Totally same situation has happened to me with same results. The seeds produced very good weed and were seedless second time around. IMO -try the seeeds, -indoor, as u say, controlled, don't see u " screwing" up the entire gene pool, or like others said throw em away and pay for some more seeds that mite or mite not be female-JR

Please do not plant these. If you are truly sincere about not wanting to contaminate the gene pool, you will throw these seeds away.[/QUOT

Its not a heart transpant from a monkey

aplaisia said:
I think you may have some neighbors letting their plants pollenate the air...

otherwise I think you would have had more seeds if you had a flower pollenate.

Do you use a fan?

If you have a fan I think you would have a lot more seeds if you had one of your plants flower in the room.

This is what it sounds like to me also. :D

Even with no fan, the amount of pollen from just 1 nanner would have produced a boatload of seeds, not just 1 or 2.

Really sounds like you caught some stray pollen from a neighbor.

DD

Johnnyrotten123 said:
Unreal. Does the weed get u high? Are u a breeder? A few seeds. Chance, some pollen got em. They're female that got a some male pollen on em. Bet ya those seeds u replant will not be hermi. Hell, in the old days all weed had seeds, now we're talking about "destroying" the plant and seeds?Let it grow-JR

Whether the weed gets you high or not is immaterial. Hermies procreate hermies. There is a proliferation of hermies these days. Caused, IMO, because of attitudes like this. All seeds from hermies should be destroyed!

There seem to be certain strains that hermie, I've noticed over and over that "White Widow" comes up a lot. Just as dog breeders track genetic defects in pedigrees, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a 'report hermie' category on the site so that everyone who gets a hermie simply reports it there, then we will soon be able to see whose genetics produce hermies?

leafminer said:
There seem to be certain strains that hermie, I've noticed over and over that "White Widow" comes up a lot. Just as dog breeders track genetic defects in pedigrees, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a 'report hermie' category on the site so that everyone who gets a hermie simply reports it there, then we will soon be able to see whose genetics produce hermies?
:yeahthat:

THAT sounds like a plan!

I've had next to zero problems with hermies, but I've also only grown pure indica, which seem to resist this.

Many years ago, I had 1 clone (out of several), throw a nanner due to light poisoning, due to a hurricane. I think the barometer had as much to do with it as the light and only 1 clone out of 5 or 6 IIRC, threw 1 nanner.:holysheep: The strain was Williams Wonder, a very stable indica.

Hurricanes cause plants to do weird things, like kick into survival mode.:cool: Not only the wind and the rain, but the wildly fluctuating barometric pressure also.:holysheep:

DD

Droopy Dog said:
:yeahthat:

THAT sounds like a plan!

I've had next to zero problems with hermies, but I've also only grown pure indica, which seem to resist this.

Many years ago, I had 1 clone (out of several), throw a nanner due to light poisoning, due to a hurricane. I think the barometer had as much to do with it as the light and only 1 clone out of 5 or 6 IIRC, threw 1 nanner.:holysheep: The strain was Williams Wonder, a very stable indica.

Hurricanes cause plants to do weird things, like kick into survival mode.:cool: Not only the wind and the rain, but the wildly fluctuating barometric pressure also.:holysheep:

oh, hey, i agree, I think i must know the wind one, if you point a stationary fan at a plant for weeks it can pop a nanner, i guess it's the wind thing in action? Don't let your konked out fan not get replaced for a week or more is what i learned-forgot-relearned. I did it twice.

Johnnyrotten123 said:

...;) "in the old days.."... is right. Back when, 'according to statistics', weed held 3%-5% thc content. Compared to the ultra potent weed of today, boasting in excss of 20% in some cases. These goals weren't reached by allowing hermie genetics to dominate the gene pool.
They were reached, in fact, by dedicated breeders employing very selective tactics. One of which is/was to eliminate, or at least minimize hermie tendency.
The "kicker" here, is he really doesn't know where the pollen came from. The chances of it coming from a "good" male selection, a winner, is probably about as good as my "chances" in cripple creek..or vegas :rofl:...;)

''The "kicker" here, is he really doesn't know where the pollen came from. The chances of it coming from a "good" male selection, a winner, is probably about as good as my "chances" in cripple creek..or vegas''

Seeds aside...

I won/took home after taxes $32,000 on a pick six horse race when i was 19, it was a fun two dollar bet on a whim out with friends... ya never know Hick :)

i have found one seed on a plant on three seperate harvests,
thats one seed on a 3 ft plant 3 seperate harvests so they were months apart, i just threw the seeds away but i dont think the plant was hermi was it??
the smoke was excellent just like the ones beside them and no sigh of hermie at all, they were indoors btw.

dman1234 said:
i have found one seed on a plant on three seperate harvests,
thats one seed on a 3 ft plant 3 seperate harvests so they were months apart, i just threw the seeds away but i dont think the plant was hermi was it??
the smoke was excellent just like the ones beside them and no sigh of hermie at all, they were indoors btw.

That's what this whole debate has been about, like this thread, yours might have been a selfed seed, it might have been a neighbors pollen, might be a great seed, might have been a born-to-hermie. Kinda hard to guess over the internet, and most people are strongly opinionated in one direction or another, usually people just throw out the selfed seeds because the odds are that it was a hermie, but usually you get a bunch of seeds from an open nanner and not just a couple... so who bloody knows. I can debate all day, but i woud throw out any seeds i didn't count on just because... :)

I won/took home after taxes $32,000 on a pick six horse race when i was 19, it was a fun two dollar bet on a whim out with friends... ya never know Hick
congra'ts!!.. and I agree. You "never know" where or [/i]when[/i] a super pheno will show up. And I'm not in disfavor of 'controled' or at least somewhat controlled seed making. Make your own crosses. Grow 'em out and enjoy it. It's fun growing hybrids.
My only problem lies in the fact that these are "more likely than not", from hermie pollen.

Caused, IMO, because of attitudes like this. All seeds from hermies should be destroyed!

Ok, goddess, since i've at least not knowing ever had a "hermie" ty for letting me know they just produce 1 or 2 seeds period . Somewhere i thought hermies produce more than a few seeds. I'll work on my attitude too. Agin ty for letting me know if i find 1 seed on a plant its a hermie and to destoy/burn it!! And crush that "hermie" seed to powder

Hick, bring your azz on up tp CC-business slo my friend! I think i saw a Hermi up there today matter of fact! They're everywhere!! Don't know my hermis too well but top part female!! Hey thanx too bro- -good job as usual! peace

Johnnyrotten123 said:
Ok, goddess, since i've at least not knowing ever had a "hermie" ty for letting me know they just produce 1 or 2 seeds period . Somewhere i thought hermies produce more than a few seeds. I'll work on my attitude too. Agin ty for letting me know if i find 1 seed on a plant its a hermie and to destoy/burn it!! And crush that "hermie" seed to powder

no no thats not rite at all.

Johnnyrotten123 said:

I have had hermies that I never saw a nanner--I just figure that they were hiding in the buds. I have had a crop of 8 plants entirely seeded--thousands and thousands of seeds (this from 1 bagseed plant). I have had plants that only had a seed or 2 in the whole plant, breeder seeds. I destroy all these seeds with equal ease. Quality genetics are cheap. I will never again risk an entire crop by trying to save a few bucks growing with "suspect" seeds. They may or may not hermie, but any plant that has shown ANY predisposition to hermying does not stay in my garden.

I'm not sure theres a "true" answer to this question. I just know i found a random seed or 12 actually in buds from 4 plants. And at first i was " how this happen' and i concluded i didn't get the male out the garden fast enough so abit of pollen got my girls. I saved the seeds and planted them the following summer. Had 6 females out of the 12 and was more diligent at ridding garden of the males. These girls had no seeds. Hick, if reading this, these were my #1 thru #5 plants for that summer(last year).
This summer, bought some WW seeds and was gifted some clones as well. I've read many post from folks who buy seeds from the various seed banks. And have the plant hermy on them, another thing fem. seeds herm or male on them too.
So imo, its a gamble anyway you approach the seed world. Once you'r able to grow a female plant u really like, clone from it-or produce your own seeds with a primo male and tasty female may be the best answer or "experiment controlled" if in doubt or like goddess and others, in doubt-rid garden of potential problems.
I'm only 3 years into this. 3outdoor grows 1 indoor-i grow lots of stuff(veg/flowers) and its a great hobby and lotta fun:)

Latest posts

Back