In the absence of THC...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to me, this is a physical addiction, Long-term regular users of marijuana may become psychologically dependent. They may have a hard time limiting their use, The drug can become the most important aspect of their lives. Your body physically wants to drug. To me you cant be mentally addicted to somthing, and not be physically addicted as well. Even though i dont think as physical addiction as a necessity, its all in the brain,

yeah man, it`s deffinately an "in the head" mental addiction, although as you said with long-term users it becomes a part of your life and stopping WILL cause you irritability,anxiety etc-in the short-term.
i smoked for a few years then quit for 3 without too much trouble-but then again i`m smoking again now.... but the difference is i choose to.
i love it, there`s a deffinative love there.

but then you learn what it doest to your whole self rewards system, it mess's with it. This is why i believe its more than just mental.

Because addiction is a disease, and you dont choose to have the disease.
This is where it is involuntary, you physically cant fix the problems just by putting mj down and just by stopping. Its going to take time for your body to release dopeamines regularly how it use to. This is not vo

so your saying a disease's are only mental??? i dont think so.
I BELIEVE ONCE YOUR AN ADDICT, ITS A PHYSICAL ADDICTION. THE PHYSICAL ADDICTION TO GET F-UPPED. isnt it?

no-one said diseases are only mental, that`s just silly-but MJ use is deffinately not a disease

you dont comprehend, its ok to disagree so stop your sillyness. An addiction is a disease sorry to say, read.
. I like the feeling mj gives me. like anyone on this site we all do. and yes i have a hard time putting it down. leme rephrase my self, mj is addicting and physically changes you. Obviously we all love marijuana here, im just opening peoples eyes who were in my shoes years and years ago. IT mess's up your head , believe it or not.

if it "messes with your head" then don`t do it.
each to his own...

i saying that with every one, in easier terms, it mess's with our self rewards our bodys gives us, that feeling. It ruins it. In everyone.

i see what you mean dude, don`t get me wrong i don`t dissagree on all your saying i.e addiction is an illness, although i believe you can`t draw comparisons from this as it`s puttingMJ in the same class as "hard drugs"-heroin etc, which can harbour a dangerous addiction with dangerous withdrawal side effects.
it may be an "addiction" of sorts, and effect everyone in differing ways-maybe some ppl can just deal with it better than others.
i don`t dissagree for the sake of dissagreeing.

yea mary jane is nothing like the grip, cocaine or H, im jast saying, the buds do things is your head, which some people arnt aware of. I had to tell some one that drugs kill brain cells and thats why they make you stupid. I dont understand how someone wouldn't know that, anyways. I believe marijuana iis still a drug, and when used properly, can hellp some people. Like me. Also I know its a toy, and i played with the toy. I did if for fun, now I get migraines, I smoked weed for that, Its the only thing that helps me now. Ive been prescribed many many painkillers, for my migraines, which are even more addicting. I guess some people have more addictive personalities too, but pillls are bad.

headband said:
i think when you mess with your body using drugs, it can change "you" even if it is marijuana. I used medicinal marijuana for minor back pain, and insomnia and mostly for migraines. This is a prescribed drug for me, as before i would be on lots of other drugs. Ive even abused these drugs as well. I have found that no matter what the drug of choice, it is a drug and drugs are physically addicting. When we mess with our bodys dopeamines and endorphins, we are really setting our selfs up for disaster.. its harder and harder the more you use to get that happy feeling, when the bodys releases dopeamines and endorphins. now normal tasks as before, normally your body would release these, like for instance after taking a run, a sense of accomplishment. When you use marijuana, you lower the bodys ability to release our bodys natural way for making us happy. We pretty much have to use, to get that feeling again. The high happy feeling you get right after a toke. Once you mess with this, you mess with addiction. Your body needs that drug to release these now, cus normal everyday things which use release, are not enough to any more. How would that not be a physical addiction? It physically changes the body, it physically changes the way a person thinks and their decisions. The release of dopeamines and endorphins is now all screwd up, from using, and the only thing that can fix it is time. Lots and lots of sober time.. sorry to say. take some drug class's, like the government makes me..

:holysheep:Sorry Dr. Phil, but you have no clue as to what you are talking about. MJ is NOT physically addictive, PERIOD. Proven by the medical profession and well documented. By reading your post you seem to have addiction problems but that doesn't mean the rest of us do. Don't push your abuse thinking on us please. I think you are using the fact you get it legally and are addicted that it's OK for you but the rest who smoke do so because they are addicted to it and it's not OK. Rubbish I feel, nothing personal towards you, but you're not a doctor and if you're going to say something , say the facts not something you made up, it's OK for you to feel that way but not to state it as fact or you open yourself up for to be responsible for your statements.

:holysheep:"When you use marijuana, you lower the bodys ability to release our bodys natural way for making us happy. We pretty much have to use, to get that feeling again."

This statement alone shows your addiction problems.
Sorry man but this is absurd, I'm happy with and without (don't puff everyday). I have a handle on my life with or without, and I take oxy as well for more than lower back pain, I severed my spine and have rods holding it together with a vertebrae removed.
I'd like to know why you have to take drug classes?
Again nothing personal towards you but know the facts before you state them as facts. :D

thestandard said:
Marijuana is a drug like Aloe vera is a drug. It is NOT a narcotic, CBM receptors in your brain may serve the purpose of specifically recieving chemicals like THC, sorry HB you make some good posts but this is not one. It is MENTALLY addictive, not physically. Look up "addiction." Sleep loss and irritability and would probably ensue if you beat off twice a day every day for a month than stopped short, doesn't mean your addicted to whackin it.
This is the most sensible statement I've seen on this thread, excuse me, got to go, I'm feeling a tad randy...:rofl::rofl:

what ever. im just no going to respond any more, you people just dont see it. Read, read and read. Go sign up for some drug class's, you'll learn a lot more from people that study this stuff and dont smoke pot rather than anyone on this sight. whats the validity on here?? Emotional marijuana addiction is the more powerful. The reason for its power lies within the addict's emotional well-being. What occurs when an addict smokes the marijuana is they are placed in a euphoric state. Once they are placed in this state their marijuana now controls their emotions. If they are "happy it is because of the marijuana". Is something they might think to themselves. What this begins is the cycle of getting high to become happy and when they come down and begin to feel less than happy they might use again. They will continue this cycle until their emotions are completely ruled by marijuana. This is emotional marijuana addiction. And what makes this form stronger is that when the addict tries to get sober they will feel very depressed. This depression might drive them to use again. This is with every user, it does this to your head if you realize it or not. I havent said anything mean to anyone on this thred, even though some dont agree, it doenst mean you guys have to be complete jack az about it. ill carry on nicely... just some others might not

headband said:
what ever. im just no going to respond any more, you people just dont see it. Read, read and read. Go sign up for some drug class's, you'll learn a lot more from people that study this stuff and dont smoke pot rather than anyone on this sight. whats the validity on here?? Emotional marijuana addiction is the more powerful. The reason for its power lies within the addict's emotional well-being. What occurs when an addict smokes the marijuana is they are placed in a euphoric state. Once they are placed in this state their marijuana now controls their emotions. If they are "happy it is because of the marijuana". Is something they might think to themselves. What this begins is the cycle of getting high to become happy and when they come down and begin to feel less than happy they might use again. They will continue this cycle until their emotions are completely ruled by marijuana. This is emotional marijuana addiction. And what makes this form stronger is that when the addict tries to get sober they will feel very depressed. This depression might drive them to use again. This is with every user, it does this to your head if you realize it or not. I havent said anything mean to anyone on this thred, even though some dont agree, it doenst mean you guys have to be complete jack az about it. ill carry on nicely... just some others might not

Dude, again nothing personal but you are not stating facts. I love peanut butter, can eat it 30 days straight, on day 31 do I need a fix, hmmm...
Anything you do a lot of can make SOME people want it more once it is removed, it depends on that person's psychy and them alone, not the rest of the world. You have your own issues, that doesn't make it mine or anyone else's issues. I'm HAPPY either with or without, MJ is not the CENTER of my happiness when I'm high, yes it's enjoyable, that's why I smoke, but my happiness comes from within me , not the MJ. READ READ READ.

PS, The title of this forum is: Drug Testing & Marijuana Effects (Facts), so they should be facts stated here, not opinions.
I'm not to go into all of my qualifications because it's too much info, though for this I will share is that I do have a degree in psychology...I used to give drug classes and speak from expereince. NO BULL.....:D
Sorry Smokin Mom but information is good when correct and can be harmful when it's not. I'm done with this thread as I'm not trying to cause problems, I'm just trying to get the facts straight. Watch Dragnet? :D

PPS, Sorry Headband, maybe I was a little harsh with you and didn't mean to be, guess my blood boiled a little, no hard feelings man... Peace.

I just want to make note that generalizations cannot be made about the effects of drugs on people as a whole, a drug's effect on a person is as unique as the individual that uses it. Also the phrase "you people" is rather demeaning. Just my two bits

im speaking to the people in this thread, not the site as a whole. Pretty much what i said from the beginning, i think drugs no matter what it is are physically addicting because once your addicted, you have that trait, addiction to a mind altering substance. i said earlier, long-term regular users of marijuana become psychologically dependent, and tthey may have a hard time limiting their use. when you have a hard time limiting use, to me its physically has a grasp on you. I think tthis is where you could argue my point where its not physical, cus yes it depends on the person and their habits.

Guys, guys what's with all the fighting. I figured it out, football season is over. haha. Cause of all worlds problems.

SSwest said:
Guys, guys what's with all the fighting. I figured it out, football season is over. haha. Cause of all worlds problems.

Not fair, still upset about the Pats...:D

:holysheep:I'm going to say sorry in advance, but I had to get the facts out after researching a few of my books, just in case you may want to know. I also had to answer some erroneous statements made here that I just couldn't let go. I hopefully did this tastefully and without malice though when you feel someone is totally off base it may seem otherwise but this is not the case. I feel we have to be responsible for our words and also be reminded when we lack that good judgment. Peace, and I promise this is my last word on this post.

Headband quotes:
sweetnug, we are good people here, we dont want **** talkers like you. you must be young. This Is All My Opinion so calm down. And trust me, im a lot more educated than you. Please read all posts and decide.

take some drug class's, like the government makes me..

Hmmm...

You might realize how hard it is to be happy. This is proof that you ruined your endorphin receptors and you physically either need this drug to recreate the feeling or some serious time for your body to fix it self. To me this is physical addiction, Since now you physically need the drug to create the feeling that the body normally does without. Now it needs the drug to get that feeling. How is that not physical? this is when relapse happens cus it takes many many years for these endorphins and dopamine's to function properly, so the person use's, its a viscous cycle.

MJ has no effect first of all on endorphins, and secondly it has no effect on the proper function of dopamine or it's time frame..."many years?", totally wrong.

I get irratated very easy feel like all I need is a bowl its not good.

I'd smoke one if it helps.

When you smoke it release's dopeamines' fact sorry to say buddy. how do you ever thing marijuana is going to be legal with people like you, who dont think its even drug. What is it if its not a drug? Its only beneficial to people who have a probem that benefits from the use of marijuana, its the people like you who use it for fun, and thats why its so hard for the federal government to recognize it.
Herb, I think I need to smoke some more. See first quote.

ok as for endorphin receptors, i mean opioid receptors, which includes enkephalins, endorphins, endomorphins and nociceptin/orphanin. so yes there is endorphin receptors. abuse of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol produces behavioral and metabolic signs of frontal cortica dysfunction . Not one of these terms mentioned above have anything to do with cannabinoid receptors. Frontal cortex dysfunction generally is associated with antipsychotic drugs and treatment with cognition and schizophrenia. Areas where THC concentrates are the nucleus accumbens, caudate nucleus, hippocampus, and the cerebellum.

im speaking to the people in this thread, not the site as a whole.
I speak to all...

Pretty much what i said from the beginning, i think drugs no matter what it is are physically addicting because once your addicted, you have that trait, addiction to a mind altering substance.
Yes, as you said earlier, you have this trait, it doesn't mean any of us do.

i said earlier, long-term regular users of marijuana become psychologically dependent, and tthey may have a hard time limiting their use. when you have a hard time limiting use, to me its physically has a grasp on you.
Wrong, psychological is just that (in the mind), physical is, well just that (in the body), completely different, please look up definitions in the dictionary.

I think tthis is where you could argue my point "where its not physical," cus yes it depends on the person and their habits.
Got it right this time...I think...

Just The Facts as researched with documentation:
Cannabis
The sensations of slight euphoria, relaxation, and amplified auditory and visual perceptions produced by marijuana are due almost entirely to its effect on the cannabinoid receptors in the brain. These receptors are present almost everywhere in the brain, and an endogenous molecule that binds to them naturally has been identified: anandamide.

Anandamide is involved in regulating mood, memory, appetite, pain, cognition, and emotions. When cannabis is introduced into the body, its active ingredient, Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), can therefore interfere with all of these functions.

THC begins this process by binding to the CB1 receptors for anandamide. These receptors then modify the activity of several intracellular enzymes, including cAMP, whose activity they reduce. Less cAMP means less protein kinase A. The reduced activity of this enzyme affects the potassium and calcium channels so as to reduce the amount of neurotransmitters released. The general excitability of the brain’s neural networks is thus reduced as well.

As you can see, pot does not bind with endorphins, just opiates do, similar idea but incorrect information. It does bind to anandamides, which are NOT endorphins, just trying to get THE FACTS correct.

THC binds to THC receptors (magenta) on the neighboring terminal and this sends a signal to the dopamine terminal to release more dopamine. Again, it is probably a presynaptic receptor on GABA interneurons that controls dopamine release.
Increased cAMP produced in post-synaptic cell In a closer view, show how this affects the function of the post-syanaptic cell. Since there is more dopamine released, there is increased activation of dopamine receptors. This causes increased production of cAMP inside the post-synaptic cell which alters the normal activity of the neuron.
As a result of THC actions in the nucleus accumbens, there are increased impulses leaving the nucleus accumbens to activate the reward system. Scientists still don't know how the continued use of marijuana alters the reward system. Indicate that this is an area of intense research by neuroscientists.
Yes, MJ does have an effect on dopamine release, but scientists still don't know to what extent.
The fact that MJ does have an effect on neurotransmitters is why medical marijuana is used for various medical conditions with very good success. It's not a bad thing, it triggers the natural release of these transmitters to help with pain, appetite, sleep and many other disorders. Oh, and it's NOT physically addictive like opiates.

biopsych.jpg

addiction.jpg

Latest posts

Back