is a cutting taken from a pollenated plant going to seed later?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom thumb

Reaction score
I'm still trying to determine where the pollen came from in my room, If a cutting was taken from a plant that had been pollenated then rooted and started to bud could it go to seed (does the pollen change the whole plant or just buds while they are growing)

tom thumb said:
I'm still trying to determine where the pollen came from in my room, If a cutting was taken from a plant that had been pollenated then rooted and started to bud could it go to seed (does the pollen change the whole plant or just buds while they are growing)

First buds get pollenated not plants.

So if the cutting had any bud, most do not and are in vegg stage, then yes it would make seeds in the bud that was pollenated, but not the rest of the plant.

Chances are if you found seeds in your bud it was hermi.
(plants with female and male gender.)

:yeahthat:

In addition, if it was a hermie, you have a good chance of the clone going hermie. Was this by any chance a bagseed?

no I started everything from clone, I've been looking for a hermie but I don't see one, pollen may have come in an unfiltered air vent, but it' ongoing because I have some younger plants that I've noticed some seed in it looks like the seed started growing at same time as bud (it's large for size of bud) so I'll have to clean the room, I took some clones from lower branches to make sure I had some for later but I don't want babies that start to seed

I dont know what the chances are of stray pollen from a vent, seems very unlikely.

It only takes one male flower to pop and they are hard to spot.

yeah like i didn't check closely for that, I'm not using a little closet like you, I've got a room so i have a rather large fresh air vent and I live in one of the best outdoor growing locations in Canada so the probability of male pollen floating around is somewhat high, thanks anyhow

Odds are you had a hermi..... You can easily have a plamt throw a male flowe that is almost totally encapsulated inside female buds...... That is not too terrible of a thing though.... most of the time it will only pollenate that one bud and chances of pollen contaminating the rest of the room would be minimal....(which is what I think went on here from your description).... However, I would still decontaminate the room and then try to figure out why the plant went hemie...

Light leaks, rough handling while in flower...erratic light cycles.. could be several things..... Maybe even a wide variation in temps.... Anything that can cause stress can make it happen.... Or it could just be genetic too..../shrug...

tom thumb said:
yeah like i didn't check closely for that,

Was this a strain you have grown before? where did you get the seeds or were they from clone?

Latest posts

Back