Is it Mold?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. GreenBrain

Legal Grower
Reaction score
Hello, I'm about a month into veg with some grape skunk. It's my first grow, and I noticed that there is a white/translucent powdery substance starting to develop on just a few of my leaves. At first I thought maybe it's a few THC crystals because when I rub my fingers on it it smells strongly of fresh bud. However, I was reading The Cannabis Grow Bible (Greg Green) and it seems that it could be mold. I live in an area that isn't normally very humid, but I don't have a real way to check the humidity of the room unless I get some kind of fancy equipment (inexpensive ideas?). Also, I have an active air intake and exhaust, and two fans to circulate the air. Anyway, take a look at the pics and let me know what you think. THC crystals or mold? Thanks.:watchplant:

powder.gif

powder2.gif

powder3.gif

grow.gif

you dont really get the thc crystals until flowering im pretty sure. im wrapping up my first grow, so dont take any advise i give until backed by others lol. i dont know if thats mole or not, but some of those leaves do show a bit of overwatering. might wanna keep up on the wet and dry cycle sticky forum. ive not seen molding weed yet so i dont know if thats what it looks like. the plants look pretty healthy, i personally would spray the leaves good with water before your lights go out, get those spots see if it comes off. it might just be trichomes, but my leaves didnt get them at all until i started it on 12/12, and its really only on the ones close to budsites that start growing after putting it on 12/12.

well good luck on the rest of the grow, if i were you i would also get another fan that blows right on them to strengthen the stems up more, they look about as thin as my stems lol(it cant support itself through flower, all stringed up), and probably push the pots closer together looks like they are growing towards the light weird lol, shouldnt really hurt it, just looks kinda funny.

hey how it goin? if you have an active intake/exhaust and 2 fans blowing air around it should not be mold.

it kinda looks like my orange tree outside that gets white flies all the time(but i think you would notice the little white bugs crawlin around)

it could also be a nute deficiency(turns leaves a white/pale color
if you go to greenmans page (the link should be under sick plants or general growing) the site gives a lot of info nutes.

heres the link replace xx with tt hxxp://greenmanspage.com/guides/nutrientdisorders.html
good luck

could be powdery mildew, may want to check your humidity, but then again, im just speculating

looks like a fungus..do you have a scope you can look closer at it? neem oil if its moving:giggle: But Im with jbonez on this one..good luck keep us posted..love the LST your doing..:aok:And the plants look good 2me:bolt::bong:

schoolboy420 said:
...and probably push the pots closer together looks like they are growing towards the light weird lol, shouldnt really hurt it, just looks kinda funny.

The plants are bent over. You can't see the other strings holding down the stem. Anyway, that's why they look so funny. Low Stress Training (LST) it's called, works well for people who don't have a lot of vert space. :)

You can spray it with a powdered milk and water solution or plain milk and water. It will help until you get stronger measures. The milk won't hurt anything if the problem isn't powdery mildew. My squash get it every year.

definatly PM take every precation with it..get a good organic fungicide and a sulphur burner bud dont waste time sulphur burner will sell for 117 plus 15 bucks or so for the sulphur..you can also raise temps to 90+ and lower humidity to 40 or below i am currently taking all these precautions

Yep, ya'll were correct. I took some clipped leaves down to my grow shop to get some advice (because they're cool like that), and sure enough they said it was more than likely powder mildew. Got two different types of treatments. The first I used about ten minuets ago (just before my lights went out) has sulfur in it. I sprayed all my equipment, the plants, and everything. The second I'll use a week from now to kill the stuff living inside of the plants. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

Also, since I had to clear everything out and spray all surfaces down, it gave me a chance to do some much needed maintenance on my grow space. With that came the opportunity to take a bunch of pictures. I'll be posting them soon to show people exactly how I built my small time grow room, but for now, I'm going to bed.

Have a great one!

I am 3million % positive that you have Powder Mold.

Remember: Pm = Weed Herpes.

Once it's there it's there.

Woke up and looked at my plants first thing this morning. They already seem to be responding quite well to the treatment. Everything is dry now too, and humidity is low (40%).

The Effen Gee said:
I am 3million % positive that you have Powder Mold.

Remember: Pm = Weed Herpes.

Once it's there it's there.

So are my plants a lost cause? I obviously don't want to smoke PM...or herpes for that matter.

(Anybody remember Cheech & Chong's Things are Tough All Over when Arabic Cheech is talking about how he used to have a hairpiece, but it sounds like he's saying he had herpes on his head..? :rofl:)

No, don't kill your plants.

Just kill the pm and keep it down. Lotsa good home remedies here if you don't want to buy anything.

Here's a little background on the product I use.
Just whatever you do, do NOT water it in. Spray only.

""Use Nutrilife SM-90 to prevent or treat bacteria, fungus and insect problems. SM-90 is prepared from natural plant oils - the organic composition of SM-90 is biodegradable and non-toxic to humans, animals and plants!

SM-90 is a good product to use from day one with your plants to keep them healthy and pest / disease free. Use as a foliar spray or root feed in both soil and hydroponics gardens.

Root Disease: SM-90 inhibits common anaerobic fungal and bacterial pathogens. Use for any root disease from ascomycetes pathogens including fusarium, pythium, rhizoctonia, phytopthera and sclerotinia. When added in small quantities to plant nutrient solutions, root disease infestations are inhibited and new root growth emerges. Treated plants develop greater root area and root runs and exhibit a generally healthier root development. Application rate: Apply 2 - 3 ml for each gallon of nutrient solution on a weekly basis.

Plant Infestations: Treat leaf or stem infestations by appying as a foliar spray. SM-90 eliminates many molds, mildew and leaf spot and is also effective for botrytis, blight, fusarium, leaf mold, rhizoctonia stem rot, sclerotinia stem rot and others. SM-90 also discourages and eliminates many common pests including aphids, thrips, spider mite, and whitefly. It is believed to act as a systemic to inhibit insect colonization and to deter reinfestation. Application rate: Mix 1 part SM-90 with 5 parts water. Spray directly on plant leaves and stems - be sure to spray entire plant as a prevention measure. Repeat every 3 days for up to 3 applications. Spray plants with water to prevent excess build during repeated applications.

An added benefit of SM-90 is an increase in metabolism and growth rate when used on a regular basis. A great choice for growers looking for a safe product to use on their consumable crops. Be sure to spray diluted solution within 8 hours of mixing. Keep away from sunlight.

NOTE: SM-90 will inhibit beneficial bacterial colonization. If you are trying to promote bacteria growth in your garden, this may not be a desirable additive.""

(hxxp://www.4hydroponics.com/grow_room/sm90.asp)

Thanks TEG, I was with you 100% until the last part about harming beneficials. Bummer, but thanks. It should help indoor grows a bunch, esp. hydro.

420benny said:
Thanks TEG, I was with you 100% until the last part about harming beneficials. Bummer, but thanks. It should help indoor grows a bunch, esp. hydro.

Yes thank, great info.

Latest posts

Back