Is it too late? spider mites

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Greenbud

totus gnarus
Reaction score
Against my better judgement i allowed a friend to give me some clones, i put them into my grow tent 6 weeks ago.
I only check them when i water once a day, i did notice yellow spots on the leaves but ignored it, #$%^&*( i know, i'm an idiot).
Yesterday i noticed cobwebs and looked very closely, i then saw the little things moving.
I jumped on this site last night and found out they were spider mites.

I'm a newby grower, so i guess i did not realize about these til it was too late.

What i did last night;
I took a spray bottle and put about 10 large tablespoons of dawn dish liquid into it and filled it with water, i soaked the plants, especially the bottom of the leaves.
The plants were dripping with suds, i then left them overnight.
I just checked on them prior to this post and they did not droop or wilt at all.
Also the temps in my state are low at night and the tents reach 50 degrees at night, i understand this slows the reproduction rate.

Later today i plan to buy some rubbing alcohol and mix it 50/50 and spray them again, i'll also scrub the tents with hot water mixed with bleach and vacuum the carpets in the room.

PLEASE, someone, help me out, i grow for medical reasons and i cant afford the time to start over, any suggestions/advice would help.

P.S. One of the plants was an auto flowering i got free with my order, it was 2 weeks into bud and was the one covered with webs, i cut it down, sprayed it with a little of the dawn and water and will allow it to dry, will the smoke hurt me with dead mites? It's only about 1/2oz.

The other plants were just put into flower about 2 weeks ago and are just starting to show white hairs, they are power kush and blue widow plus the outdoor ones my "friend" gave me. these plants have yellow leaves and mites on the bottom of the leaves, can these be saved?

I use foggers myself if the borg turn up.Bob Martins flea and tick foggers for pets.I don't even knock the fans off,just place in the grow and hit the button on the can,works a treat and the stuff is rated for use in unvented domestic environments and breaks down in light.

Treat twice in 48 hours and weekly thereafter.

Or,as I've just found,you can treat plants with the stuff you put on a dog or cats fur to treat for fleas and other boogers our pets get.

I've got the borg in my grow so placed a few drops on fan leaves and the stems and the stuff works so well the next plant along had it's borg killed by a treated plant next to it! :eek:

It's purely vapour so nothing settles on your girls really and costs about £3 to treat a 6-12 plant grow.

When it comes to the borg,this stuff is mustard!:holysheep:

Vapona pest strips do the same job.

I guess I have been lucky, never had spidermites ever.

Hello Dr.Greenbud :)

First off, never accept clones and put them in your grow area, put them somewhere else for 10 days checking daily to make sure they are parasite free.

Second, if you see a plant showing any signs of abnormal behaviour, it is telling you there is some kind of problem.

Rockster has given you great info, it is harmless to humans and I use it myself for my cat.

Also you can make home made solutions.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29472

(Excellent post by Bud.Uncle)

Also you can use ISO/Water 50/50 mix.

Also you can make your own Neem Oil spray.

5ml Neem Oil, 2ml liquid soap, 1lt water.

Shake well and spray the plant soaking it under the leaves.

It is best to alternate different methods when attacking spidermite, the different solutions seem to work better than just hitting them with the same spray.

:peace:

I think my next step is bleaching the veg tent as it's empty now, then i think i'll take all the plants (12 ) to the bathtub while i bleach the flower tent ( 25% bleach to the rest water ?)
I'll then rinse the plants as well as i can in the tub then spray with 50/50 alcohol/water and let fan dry in the tub.
I'll alternate from soap and water to alcohol and water every other day?
I think i'll also lightly spray the carpet outside the tents with some 50/50 alcohol mix as i don't think it will hurt the carpet.

I may run an air conditioner in the room to keep the temp. as low as possible as the mites hate the cold.

Any other advice or suggestions?

Once damaged they are damaged.

They may die and fall off, do not cut them off, if the plant wants them removed, the plant will do it itself, while the leaf is still on the plant it is still feeding the plant.

HippyInEngland said:
Once damaged they are damaged.

They may die and fall off, do not cut them off, if the plant wants them removed, the plant will do it itself, while the leaf is still on the plant it is still feeding the plant.

thanks, i'll post updates and maybe pics after i'm done.
Hope this works.

Im a bit late here sorry...

I treat all my clones I get from Buddy as if they are infected..I use 50/50 iso/water..mist plant good...use this to wipe walls down as well...IMO...you need to have an Arsonal of weapons..and mix it up..and when applying the solutions be sure to do when lights go out and to get tops and bottoms of leafs...and like HIE said let the plants leafs fall of naturally..the plant is still pulling resources from it..Hope this helps...take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

I just got back from the store and bought these.
Any comments?

100.JPG

Dr.Greenbud said:
I just got back from the store and bought these.
Any comments?

That is a good start, but I'm with 4u2--you need an arsenal of different treatments to get rid of spider mites. I get a kick out of Rockster calling them the Borg--I cannot think of a better description.

Why has Dr.Greenbud got so many red bars?

I have seen nothing untoward in any of his posts.

HippyInEngland said:

gee, i'm honored,lol.
I was always told as a kid i would rise through the ranks quickly, now it's finally come true.

HippyInEngland said:

:yeahthat: I agree. Let's hope that was a mistake on someone's part. For some weird reason, it takes a whole bunch of good reps to offset one bad rep. Here is a good rep to get you going back to the land of green.

AAhhhhh.

Yup, could well be that Pcduck :aok:

Maybe that message needs to be put on the joining page and people have to click that they have read it.

Or something similar.

The Hemp Goddess said:
it takes a whole bunch of good reps to offset one bad rep.
My Grandpappy always told me it took 3 atta-boys to make up for 1 oh crap!

Latest posts

Back