Is it too late to save them? (pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeThePot

Reaction score
These are what's left of my little guys. I had two more that already went outside before this ailment but they were potted in an area that gets flooded - so they're already gone. What I've got here is all that's left and I think it's too late to sprout anymore from seeds.

Pretty screwed up little crew. Is there any hope left for them? Can I still save them or has the damage been done. I have no clue what's causing the problem. First the tips started dying. Now they're curling up and the plants are turning yellowish. The plants are totally stunted as well. They haven't seem to have grown in about a month! The leaf tips dying really seemed to start right after I planted the two others that have most likely washed away. I put them all in a tupperware container (low air circulation) for about 2 hours while I went to plant them. While scouting out the area I dropped my GPS and froze it up so I could not back track to the location I found to be most desirable and brought back the other 10 to plant another day. The were all knocked out of their peat pots so I redid the soil (Miracle Gro potting soil with perlite) and replanted them. After that day symptoms became visible. Maybe it's a coincidence that they were cooped up in a container, or maybe replanting them had something to do with it?

I've checked out the nutrient symptons thread. I figure it could be one or more of the following. This is my first time growing which may explain why I have also used Miracle Gro fertilizer. :eek:
Nitrogen deficiency since I'm getting almost no growth.
Magnesium defficiency due to the yellowing.
Potassium defficiency due to the yellowing and dead leaves.
It could also be caused by over watering/fertilizing and/or not enough sunlight.

I understand Miracle Gro isn't organic, but if Cannabis is a hearty plant (weed!) shouldn't it tolerate it, if not love it?

I'd really like to know what the problem is, but foremost if they're salvageable. If not, is it too late to try sprouting some more? Thanks for any and all help, seasoned growers!

IMG_1331.jpg

OK so you have them in MG soil right? Were you also giving them MG nutes? How often are you watering?

:shocked: Don't you hate when that happens?!?

I think those little ones deserve a chance, they look like they have burn.

if this was a situation I was in I would replace the soil, give them a chance and also start a few more seeds.:watchplant:

Good luck! it's not all that bad! just keep on with it!:D

They are in MG soil with MG perlite fed tap water and MH nutes. Looks like chemical burn? Prognosis: death!?

If I replant them I'll be sure not to use any Miracle Gro product !:)

its not toolate give them flushhhhh first before u do anything,

If i'm not mistaken that MG perlite has nutes in it as well. You should transplant them asap into some fresh soil and perlite and not that MG perlite. MG soil isn't bad as long as you lay off the nutes.

I think repotting them is the safest bet (aside from any transplant shock they may experience?). Unfortunately the only perlite Home Depot has is the MG product I believe so it looks like I'll stick with that. I'll use non-MG potting soil, but the kind I have may be pretty low quality. It's the dollar store kind. Certainly no fertilizers in that!

When I replant them I was going to give them just a little water to help them settle in. Should I put some Epsom salt in the water to try to rid any existing deficiencies or is plain water and sunlight the best bet in bringing them back to health?

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I wouldn't put any of that perlite in your soil mix this time. Don't you have a Wal-Mart or K-Mart where you live? They have perlite. ;) I would give them just plain water.

FreeThePot said:
I think repotting them is the safest bet (aside from any transplant shock they may experience?). Unfortunately the only perlite Home Depot has is the MG product I believe so it looks like I'll stick with that. I'll use non-MG potting soil, but the kind I have may be pretty low quality. It's the dollar store kind. Certainly no fertilizers in that!

When I replant them I was going to give them just a little water to help them settle in. Should I put some Epsom salt in the water to try to rid any existing deficiencies or is plain water and sunlight the best bet in bringing them back to health?

Thank you all for the suggestions.

LOL--don't you have any other places that sell perlite and soil? You have some sick plants that you are trying to save. Buy quality soil, for goodness sakes. Go wherever you need (check out gardening stores) and buy perlite and top quality growing medium that has no nutes.

Im with TBG here guys i use the MG with non MG perlite in it and grow just fine ;) IMO give them a good flush and some time to recover and yes the epsom will help a bit but a shot of vinigar will help for now to lower the pH for them a bit. I think the mix is like a table spoon per quart of water or 4 per gallon. Good luck and keep us posted :cool2:

I say transplant into new soil and give them just straight water for a couple weeks. They may come out of it. I would probably just start new seeds also. They still have some time. Any harvest is better than none. Just my thoughts. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

I don't quite understand the whole chronology I just read, but I agree with taking those plants in the picture out of the peat pots. You will want some 4" plastic pots with 1/2" or so of gravel in them, new soil - just potting soil of some kind, nothing added, preferably without the time-release ferts as those apparently are mixed a little too "hot" on odd occasion. But you will want the containers ready with some soil in them. You'll probably want to cut open the peat pots and just gently take it out, letting whatever soil wants to fall through your fingers, you can gently encourage any loose soil to drop out of the roots - there may not be a lot of roots but the aim is to let the soil out without doing much bad to the roots. Pretend its brain surgery. You will need to do some careful light packing in of the new soil around the root/soil mass, and if there isn't enough you might need to use a pipecleaner to hold up the plant after its transplanted.
But your plants do look saveable. I think that peat pots lower the soil temperature and pull out moisture too quickly, I wouldn't use them. They are evil.

went out to get some mulch for the flowers out front and picked up a bag of MG perlite to see about their brands nutrients if any and get this MG brand perlite does have added nutes in it its N-P-K ratio is (N)0.04% (P)0.01%(K)0.06% :shocked: and thats in a product that shouldnt have any in it!

Thanks everyone. To the dismay of many they've gone back into peat pots with the MG perlite. My car is broken down at the moment so getting the good stuff is a little hard to do right now. A thorough going over in the shed out back I've discovered an assortment of supplements (though I won't be using any right now). I've found sulfate of potash, aluminum sulfate, iron sulfate, epsom salt, bone meal, bagged peat, and bagged humus & manure. So I redid the soil with that icky MG perlite and mixed some of the peat, humus/manure, and garden soil all together. That's the mix they're in now. It was a lot like brain surgery, GreenMan74! There was one unfortunate casualty. The roots had gently stuck to the bottom of the peat pot apparently so when I removed the seedling half its roots got torn off! It's the dead one in the photo. :eek:

I think half of them have a chance and I also have got some more seeds and expanding peat discs.

Here's the timeline again in case I wasn't clear the first time.
  • Seeds went into the paper towel and sprouted
  • Transplanted into peat pots with MG soil, MG perlite, and MG fertilizer (big first-timer's mistake!)
  • Seemed fine, albeit stunted
  • Went to transplant them and had to come back with 10 out of 12 due to unfortunate events
  • The day after their outdoor adventure they started looking sickly
  • Transplanted them into an MG perlite/humus & manure, peat, potting soil mix. Getting plain water
  • Now half of them seem to be getting by, but barely
In case anyone is wondering the seeds just came from some commercial bud. Nothing special but I'm pretty sure they're at least outdoor plants. This is my first time growing and I will definitely get proper seeds next season but I want to see if I can get through one season first before spending $50-$100 on seeds an who knows what on organic soil conditioners! This is my pregame game per se. :)

IMG_1332.JPG

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
If i'm not mistaken that MG perlite has nutes in it as well. You should transplant them asap into some fresh soil and perlite and not that MG perlite. MG soil isn't bad as long as you lay off the nutes.

YEs the perlite does have a small amount of nutes in it. I don't see any need for nutes with MG soil for the first 6 - 8 weeks.

OK, just give them time.. As long as they are green, your good...

FreeThePot said:
They are in MG soil with MG perlite fed tap water and MH nutes. Looks like chemical burn? Prognosis: death!?

If I replant them I'll be sure not to use any Miracle Gro product !:)

ummmm the MG soil is not your problem, The problem is you don;t udnerstand how to feed your plants. I don;t mean to be rude but don;t trash MG soil!

First off if you use MG Soil that has nutrients in it, why would you give it even more nutrients? The whole point of getting MG soil is it's rich in nutrients allready!

What you can do now ...

Flush you soil or re plant in some new soil. I would highly suggest that you not replant in new soil cause you might kill em due to stress, they look in pretty bad shape as is. Be sure to use exact amounts of nuts vs water. If you don;t know how or don;t want to do it properly, I would advise to not use nuts @ all

Next time....

Used MG soil, but DO Not feed nutrients @ least for the first month after you have planted. After that flush twice to make sure everything is clean and then mildy use nutrients.

Latest posts

Back