Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1701887438854.png

Good morning Island Missfits! Hugz all around, passing left! https://www.mjp.com/attachments/big...//www.mjp.com/attachments/sunny-gif.18929197/

Cloudy with rain today, starting at 42F and predicted to soar to 47F during the sweltering part of today.

Jeeze Louise, discord in the air! The Portland Teachers strike settled, but we had a loud Gaza protest parade down the residential street in front of our house, replete with drums and loud shouting, though no property damage at either.

Breakfast out this morning at the Cadillac with friends and then I will be taking on the vendor billing me $900 for a $50 furnace part.

Last edited:
Soooo, I looked up the price of the $900 furnace repair parts and discovered they are more expensive than I would have imagined and actually costs $117.83.

I don't have a real problem with them marking up repair parts, but anything more than doubling them is usury.

Doesn't surprise me at all. It's ridiculous some of the shit these ppl pull to make money.
I worked at a Dealership that the parts were marked up 4 to 500% and sometimes more. Absolutely ridiculous. And their shop hour amounts weren't any better.
Exactly why so many ppl don't buy parts from parts departments at dealerships.
Independent is the only way to go on most repairs and parts

Doesn't surprise me at all. It's ridiculous some of the shit these ppl pull to make money.
The really short-sighted stupid part is that we own five furnaces and are looking for a go-to vendor for all furnace service. Sadly, a disadvantage of growing old, as the go-to vendor who installed all five has since retired, and his backup died of old age, without us yet finding a dependable honest replacement.

To my discredit I've usually been searching for one under failure conditions, which always of course only happen when the tenant seriously needs the furnace, and the repair shops are swamped because everyone else does too.

To avoid tenant crisis, I started this year off right by having the latest vendor inspect and service the four renters' furnaces in the summer, to insure there were no startup issues in the fall. Alas one of them failed anyway, though can be tongue in cheek, as the vent motor blower was operating when the service was done.

Tongue in cheek because I didn't see him check draft motor amp draw, after checking the furnace blower draw and replacing condenser.

Sorry brother. Finding good ppl anymore is getting harder and harder to do. Problem is all the good repairman and fairness is fading into the shadows of the younger generation who don't want to work and will screw you in a heartbeat.

Sorry brother. Finding good ppl anymore is getting harder and harder to do. Problem is all the good repairman and fairness is fading into the shadows of the younger generation who don't want to work and will screw you in a heartbeat.
You have that right Brother, now it's the quick fix for the highest price they can get.
I know people in the business who will quote ridiculously high prices not really wanting the job and get it,
They laugh all the way to the bank, not caring it will cost people their Holidays.

There's some instances I can see a wide markup, like a head gasket on a vehicle. The gasket is fairly cheap, but the hours of taking crap off to get to it plus the hours of putting it all back together are atrocious.

A motor on a furnace ain't that big of a deal. Pretty straight forward and simple. It's just a case of "gotcha". They know you need it, especially this time of year. Of course, a motor isn't gonna fail in the summer when you don't need it.

There's some instances I can see a wide markup, like a head gasket on a vehicle. The gasket is fairly cheap, but the hours of taking crap off to get to it plus the hours of putting it all back together are atrocious.

A motor on a furnace ain't that big of a deal. Pretty straight forward and simple. It's just a case of "gotcha". They know you need it, especially this time of year. Of course, a motor isn't gonna fail in the summer when you don't need it.
Either way one who does not know how to fix things themselves is at the mercy of the price gouger.

Latest posts

Back