Jmans Nute study - part 2 in the works

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmansweed

Owner/Operator J and J Organics
Reaction score
Alright,

I've finally got round to it. I've been putting together some ideas for the next study and believe I'm just about ready to begin.

I'm thinking 6 different cycles this time spread among 24 plants. Included is a Plug and Play Organic soil mix I've been refining.

Developing the soil mix has really been whats holding me up. Many growers requested I test a "true" soil mix. I'm planning on a thread including the details on that subject first. None the less, the nute study can begin in about 3 weeks I'm guessing, gathered all the supplies are available.

Thanks to all of you who showed interest in my last study. I'm planning this with more interaction. In addition to my usual recorded info, I would love some opinions on what other things you might find interesting to monitor on a regular basis. Things that will help determine strengths and weakness of each schedule.

The following are the companies being compared :

Botanicare Pure Blend Pro
Roots Organics
Age Old Organics
Humbolt Nutrients
My Plug and Play soil mix - water only through-out veg and flower

You'll notice I only have 5 - I'm thinking Bio Bizz, but I'm open for suggestions. Preferably organic.

My regular cycle of Earth Juice will continue also, and serves as the standard in my book but will naturally be compared and contrasted like the rest of them.

Thanks in advance. I'll have some info out soon on developing the soil mix being used. :D

Peace

Jman

Looking forward to it JMan! Thanks!
Particularly interested in your comments on Humboldt.

BBFan said:
Looking forward to it JMan! Thanks!
Particularly interested in your comments on Humboldt.

i too am also interested in the humboldt line up... im an ej user myself but we shall see.. thanks jman

hey jman :) very interesting, i wish you could try my ferts compared with the others, however theyr 100% chemical i got them in parts seperate chemicals theyr working awesome i would love to see them compared with many other ferts, if interested check em out in my links below :) thanks

Is there any way you could work Blue Mountain Organics into the test?

I've never used them, but have heard good things and their price point seems to be right around the EJ line up.

Really interested in the 'plug-n-play' test. Right now, I have LC's Soiless Mix #1 cooking in the garage.

Went with that for several reasons, mainly because I have the peat moss and perlite in bulk and a worm bin in the basement, so all I had to buy was small bags of the various meals. I inoculated it with the MycoGrow Soluble.

I might do Subcools Super Soil in the future, but those bags of even the cheapest soil are just too expensive, especially compared to bulk peat moss and perlite.

It's also kinda hot for my taste since I don't keep different mixes, but only use the one for both mj and container veggies both. For sure, I would toast something with it.:cool:

Can't wait for the read.:watchplant:

DD

IMO. Supersoil should only be used on a known strain already grown by the grower. You need to know what it can handle for the ratio. Once that is known, you could have a sea of heavy yielders and not have to adjust anything. I just saw a supersoil running that had water lines running to the top on a set timer feed from Rez. He has had multiple harvest and knows exactly what it takes for soil ratio and nutrient feed.

Jman, you got alot of free time...GL

nouvellechef said:
IMO. Supersoil should only be used on a known strain already grown by the grower. You need to know what it can handle for the ratio. Once that is known, you could have a sea of heavy yielders and not have to adjust anything. I just saw a supersoil running that had water lines running to the top on a set timer feed from Rez. He has had multiple harvest and knows exactly what it takes for soil ratio and nutrient feed.

Jman, you got alot of free time...GL

I agree NC, this is the primary reason it's taken a little time to put the right soil mix together.

You guy's may have heard me mention Dr Reams before. He pioneered many aspects of the Brix methodology to growing. One important feature was only applying the nutrients needed - and very little extra. Reams found plants were most productive when the soil matched they're needs.

Rich soil often produced slower growth initially, while inconsistent growth occurred when not enough was added. Simply put, "supersoil" or any soil mix must be fine tuned like any other nutrient application to really get the most from your plant. Solid results can happen in soil. Incredible results can happen with the right soil.

The soil mix for my Buddha has more Ca/Mg included. Skywalker prefers mixes a little weak in N. It all depends on the strain and her needs.

That interesting your buddy uses drip lines in soil. I've always managed to over or under water using similar methods.

I hear you on the time issue. I view it as all part of the job. R and D.....:D These studies typically teach me allot.

thanks.....Jman

Droopy Dog said:
Is there any way you could work Blue Mountain Organics into the test?

I've never used them, but have heard good things and their price point seems to be right around the EJ line up.

Really interested in the 'plug-n-play' test. Right now, I have LC's Soiless Mix #1 cooking in the garage.

Went with that for several reasons, mainly because I have the peat moss and perlite in bulk and a worm bin in the basement, so all I had to buy was small bags of the various meals. I inoculated it with the MycoGrow Soluble.

I might do Subcools Super Soil in the future, but those bags of even the cheapest soil are just too expensive, especially compared to bulk peat moss and perlite.

It's also kinda hot for my taste since I don't keep different mixes, but only use the one for both mj and container veggies both. For sure, I would toast something with it.:cool:

Can't wait for the read.:watchplant:

DD

I'm looking into them DD. Blue Mountain Organics. Have you mentioned that line in the past to me? I think they r high quality nutes...........?

My soil was primarily peat based, perlite and home made worm castings. Sounds like a similar mix. Fairly cheap and extremely effective. I'll get the thread together asap.

Thanks for the tip DD....................Jman

jmansweed said:
I'm looking into them DD. Blue Mountain Organics. Have you mentioned that line in the past to me? I think they r high quality nutes...........?

My soil was primarily peat based, perlite and home made worm castings. Sounds like a similar mix. Fairly cheap and extremely effective. I'll get the thread together asap.

Thanks for the tip DD....................Jman

No, that wasn't me, but I've heard quite a bit about them. All mentioned the high quality.

The funny thing is, I found their web site researching batch worm composting. They also have a worm farm, BlueridgeVermiculture.com, which had a link to the BMO site.

Your mix and mine do sound very similar and I'm sure I'll be tweaking mine to fit the strain I am running. It is a pure, or nearly so, indica. Very potent (almost too much so:eek: ), with so little odor there is no need for odor control. It doen't get stinky till very late in flower, so at the moment, I'm not looking at any other strains. No $$$$ for a carbon filter.:D

DD

Droopy Dog said:
No, that wasn't me, but I've heard quite a bit about them. All mentioned the high quality.

The funny thing is, I found their web site researching batch worm composting. They also have a worm farm, BlueridgeVermiculture.com, which had a link to the BMO site.

Your mix and mine do sound very similar and I'm sure I'll be tweaking mine to fit the strain I am running. It is a pure, or nearly so, indica. Very potent (almost too much so:eek: ), with so little odor there is no need for odor control. It doen't get stinky till very late in flower, so at the moment, I'm not looking at any other strains. No $$$$ for a carbon filter.:D

DD

I was just trying to find the website........Thanks!

jmansweed said:
I was just trying to find the website........Thanks!

bluemountainorganics.com

Apparently the nute line is just done on eBay.

In eBay as blue_mtn_organics

DD

Thanks DD - I've been looking into them heavy today. Think they might fill the 6th spot. Really solid nutes.

jmansweed said:
Thanks DD - I've been looking into them heavy today. Think they might fill the 6th spot. Really solid nutes.

The work you have done has been unbelievable...I hope you don't mind if it's shared jmansweed ?:headbang2:

Hey Jman was you ever able to complete this part of your study.

Latest posts

Back