LED light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentenced

Reaction score
Hi gang,

My buddy told me i should stop using my hps lamps as they are getting real hot.they are expensive and they are high on electricity.

he told me he is using this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...w-light-for-hydroponic/121917_1690878167.html

for both growing and flowering stage, he siad there is no heat nor high on electricity.

what do you guys think?
is this the future?

should i buy this?

thank you!

Just one of these is not near enough to grow weed. Yes, LED lights are the future of growing. I use two 300 watt LED`s to cover 21 sq. ft. Think this light you have is only 12 watt.

what about if ill buy 2 of those?

or maybe you can direct me to a store that sells your lamps?

Will that lamp work for "growing" and flowering?

thanks!

You will need a minimum of 30 watts per sq. ft. Now some sources say a minimum of 90 watts per sq. ft. Either way you would need many of these. The light you have is a spotlight, you need a fixture made for growing. Only thing to remember is that ... Good LED`s are not cheap and cheap LED`s are not good. Many LED lights out there. Google ...LED grow lights.

Will that lamp work for "growing" and flowering?

thanks!

Yes, it is a "full spectrum" light, good for both :aok:

You will need a minimum of 30 watts per sq. ft. Now some sources say a minimum of 90 watts per sq. ft. Either way you would need many of these. The light you have is a spotlight, you need a fixture made for growing. Only thing to remember is that ... Good LED`s are not cheap and cheap LED`s are not good. Many LED lights out there. Google ...LED grow lights.

I wouldn't go lower than 50w per sq/ft, but I believe PJ suggests 90w per sq/ft.

Many wonderful light options along with absolute rip offs. Keep doing research before pulling any triggers! :aok:

DGF....... would the watts per sqft recommendation of 50 to 90 watts per sqft be referring to the lights total output or the pulling watts of the light?

It is very important to always remember when talking LED grow lights, we should always try and talk draw power.

How many watts a diode is rated is irrelevant. That said, "most" companies feed off the ignorance of people thinking they are getting a 600 watt light if it says it is 600 watts. Most of the time, or lets say that a light using 600 watts called a 600 is normally around 350 watts or there abouts.

After several years, some companies actually list draw power.

I'd still suggest to anyone about to invest, to get a light and test it upon arrival to make sure it is what it says it is.

May be the best 20 you ever spent:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427725878&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=killiwat+meter[/ame]

You might also want to consider the weight of the LED fixture? I purchased a 750 actual a while back and the dang thing was too heavy because of the heat sink. The LED fixture weighed 52 lbs which was not practical for me to setup and hang in my tent alone or move it from point A to B so I returned the light.

I am running 27 watts per square foot, a little low but I am getting buy. I can't imagine what it would look like in there with 90 watts per square foot.

4 of the 700 watt Mars II hanging over my 3x3 eb table in my 4x4 room would give me the 90 draw watts per sqft........... gives me a hundred pounds of lights hanging over my plants at a cost of $1100.00 give or take a dollar. ........ seems like a heck of a lot of led lights.

Mars II LED Grow Light 900W looks good. PJ if you were gonna buy a LED light for a 4x4 area which one would you buy, and why?

Mars II LED Grow Light 900W looks good. PJ if you were gonna buy a LED light for a 4x4 area which one would you buy, and why?

He would buy 4x Mars II 400w fixtures. More fixtures, with less watts is the way to go. Large fixtures aren't are good as many smaller ones.

Ahh, I have not even began doing research on LED's, just know thats the next logical step for me.

I am running 27 watts per square foot, a little low but I am getting buy. I can't imagine what it would look like in there with 90 watts per square foot.

Keeping it real the 90 watt number is for sure the high side of things and crush HPS square foot for square foot. Most of my areas are at 60 watts PSF range and do at and above 1GPW.

MUAHAhahaaaa....

That's WITH the FLASH!

375w DRAW (just checked)
22" x 26" space

:48:

You should crush it if you can keep the heat down and them properly fed. Please understand at that wattage and size things will change real fast if you are out of range, so keep an extra close eye on your plant and look at it under some natural light each day. Magnesium issues are what I normally see happen first if not addressed.

4 of the 700 watt Mars II hanging over my 3x3 eb table in my 4x4 room would give me the 90 draw watts per sqft........... gives me a hundred pounds of lights hanging over my plants at a cost of $1100.00 give or take a dollar. ........ seems like a heck of a lot of led lights.

The 90 watts per square foot that everyone is starting to use is a little misleading, so please let me clarify. Lets say you have an area to grow in like a master bed closet that is 5 x 5 but you are only growing one plant. To allow for loss of light you need to be at around 90 watts per square foot, and what I had also previously stated is that one would equal of better HPS at twice the wattage. In other words, that .5 GPW that most achieve at 1000 watts of HPS can now be achieved at 500 watts of LED tech.

If you have more of an area to light and will be using several fixtures you really only need about 60 watts PSF, due to reflection and the overlapping of lights with no wasted coverage.

I'd rather people throw around the 60 watts PSF over 90 TBH.

I'd put 540 watts of power over that 3x3 and call it a day. You should kill it with the right strain.

I would just build 4 of my 180's and call it a day. I now engineer my own lights and have them made.

He would buy 4x Mars II 400w fixtures. More fixtures, with less watts is the way to go. Large fixtures aren't are good as many smaller ones.
That's what I would suggest to others yes. If I was to meet a hotdog like myself that likes to play with tech and take chances I have a new light design done on a COB style light rated at 460 watts with a new style lens to cover some serious area. I hope to be running some tests in the next few months and see if it is worth marketing. There's just no way to compete and most don't want to spend the kind of coin it takes to build a light of this nature.

Ahh, I have not even began doing research on LED's, just know thats the next logical step for me.

I started using the tech about 6 years ago and still am learning all the time. It isn't HPS growing for sure.

you should crush it if you can keep the heat down and them properly fed. Please understand at that wattage and size things will change real fast if you are out of range, so keep an extra close eye on your plant and look at it under some natural light each day. Magnesium issues are what i normally see happen first if not addressed.

the 90 watts per square foot that everyone is starting to use is a little misleading, so please let me clarify.
-snip-
i'd rather people throw around the 60 watts psf over 90 tbh.

This light is overkill in my little stealth cabinet space but @ that price, I couldn't turn it down.
(bought out both they had @ the time)

I will be using this light (plus possibly a Sol2) in a 3x3 tent in the near future.

You nailed the deficiency I struggled with on my virgin grow with that light.
(Magnesium)
And I bleached the very tip-top of the main cola

If I was to meet a hotdog like myself that likes to play with tech and take chances I have a new light design done on a COB style light rated at 460 watts with a new style lens to cover some serious area. I hope to be running some tests in the next few months and see if it is worth marketing. There's just no way to compete and most don't want to spend the kind of coin it takes to build a light of this nature.

Do you work with about the same size ... unit (for lack of a better term) as the other COB's
I have these Apollo's and also a few Sol lights and any of the DIY arrays I've seen:
such as http://www.dhgate.com/product/6pcs-.../216305282.html?recinfo=1,5,5#cppd-5-5|null:5
are about that same size.

I still live in a backwards state and have to hide all this
once I can play "out in the open"... maybe we need to chat PJ

:48:
here is (too big) a hint as to where I'm going with this...

View attachment cpuwatercooling.jpg

Yeah I had tossed around the idea of water cooling, but I am pretty sure there will be solid state stuff that actually works very shortly.

Right now coatings are starting to be used which dissipate heat more efficiently. LED's will just keep getting better and better as time goes by now that's for sure.

Latest posts

Back