LED light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would replace your 600, with 2 - 4 of the Mars II 400's, depending on the size space you're working with. If you're in a 4x4 area, it's 4x Mars II 400's hands down :aok:

2 - 4 of the Mars II 400's???? never mind that's super expensive,

if i have one 600W why wound i change for a cuple of 400w and not one 700w?

and why buy 2 and not one?

lol... I thought I've said in this post already.. going to go back and see if I did, and post again. One moment :p

What was your size space? Is it 4x4 or more? If so, your 600 wasn't enough lumens (or should I say "proper lumens") for the space. 1,000 is optimal, or two 600's (which is what I used to have in each of mine).

The 700w fixture is $290

The 400w fixture is $180, since you'd get a discount when you buy 2 or more fixtures. That's $360. So, $70 more for a more versatile foot print, better overlapping spectrum and heck, if one breaks, as least you have the OTHER one until you rectify the situation. Also, much better heat dispersion!

2 - 4 of the Mars II 400's???? never mind that's super expensive,

if i have one 600W why wound i change for a cuple of 400w and not one 700w?

and why buy 2 and not one?

Yes, LEDs are expensive....and I got very confused too when trying to figure out exactly what I really did need. Saying that you need 60W per sq ft and then saying that you can run half as much wattage was contradictory to me--none of us run 120W of HPS per sq ft. So if I was running 1000W of HPS I should be able to run 500W of LED. I have a long narrow space--3 x 6.5. I opted for 2 lights and this is my first go with them. I have a Mars II 700W and an Apollo Purple Sun 768W. So, I have replaced a 1000W HPS with about 700W (actual draw) of LEDs. We will see how I do...

Keep in mind that the lights do not run at full wattage. I think that someone said that the Mars II 700W tested at 330 working watts. So, it would take one MarsII 700W to replace 1 600W HPS (approximately). As DGF said, one 600W in 16 sq ft is underlit--however 2 is a bit overlit. You do get to a point where more light does not mean more bud. The plants are only able to utilize so much light. I personally found that I did not get any better growth with 2 600W than I did with a single 1000W in my closets.

I seem to remember that you said you had a fairly large space? I cannot remember the exact dimensions right now, but I think you have room to experiment and play and see how you like LEDs. You might want to do something like this: Purchase 1 700W Mars II or 2 400W Mars II and use one (or more) of your 600w HPS along with it. LEDs are fairly directional so the light does not spread that far. It is simple to make dividers out of PVC and panda film if you wanted to divide off spaces. I do believe that LEDs will be the light of the future. But they do keep getting better and cheaper as all electronic devices do.

however 2 is a bit overlit

No no no :) I ran 2 in each of my tents for awhile. Yes, you can be overlit but this wasn't really that case :aok:

*edit*
I read further along your post, and yes... it's "non-needed extra light" I agree there.

I would be for getting a taller tent if you could. LEDs need to be a ways away from the canopy. I think that Mars II lights are recommended at 18-24" from the canopy. Aso, the way that the LED hangers are, it makes them hard to hang close to the roof or ceiling.

DGF--you actually have 4.5 x 4.5 tents don't you--20.25 sq ft. I actually only use about 5-5.5' of my 6.5 space most of the time. It could be that your tent with its 1200W and my closet with its 1000W were getting almost the same lumens per sq ft. Though I have the entire 6.5 space in use with the 2 LEDs as I am using about 700W.

Ahhh yes, you're correct THG. :aok: They are 4.5x4.5 and is comparable to 1000 in 4x4 I agree... good call :)

With that said.. .I'd still rock 4x Mars II 400's in even a 4x4 :D

Oh, I agree. I was more for getting a feel for how light light per sq ft compared with your 4 400w and my 700w and 786 w. For a square configuration, 4 smaller light would be better than 1-2 larger ones.

Yeah I had tossed around the idea of water cooling, but I am pretty sure there will be solid state stuff that actually works very shortly.

Right now coatings are starting to be used which dissipate heat more efficiently. LED's will just keep getting better and better as time goes by now that's for sure.

Yes hioptix is running a water and coolant additive radiotor giving the led chips 200,000 hour life .

Latest posts

Back