Light wiring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

widowmaker

Reaction score
Ok, well i got a 150 w hps light that I wanted to rewire. My question is, what kind of wire do i need to hook the light socket to the balast? I just want to seperate the bulb socket and make it longer. That is it, im gonna go to lowes and pick it up as soon as one of you all tells me

Becareful that rewiring won't void the warrentty, but more importantly, I hope you have some experience. You'll have to undo alot of factory connections and split the wire to see what kind it is, probabaly copper. You'll have to use a guide to measure the gauge of wire. Get the same gauge and make. Are you going to sauder or just tape it?

Just don't burn your house down...If you havn't done it...find a electrician make him your friend...says it for outside lighting and tell him its a remote ballast. Good luck man. be sure before you take the next step. Some steps are irreveresible.

Im not gonna rewire the balast, im just gonna lengthen the socket wire from the balast and that is it. I was just wondering what kinda of wire i should use. Or does that require an electrician.

You can use a #14 SO cord, its the black cord used alot for extension cords.

Yeah, this is no prob.. Just cut the old wire and bring it up there with you..

Take a piece of wire that you are replacing to the hardware store and go one size bigger--that way you know it is heavy enough gauge. If you have to make any connections with wire nuts, make sure they are ones for high heat applications.

The larger awg wire will be able to carry the current load for sure, but trust me when I say you do not want arching to take place during start up!

Make sure you get something that can handle the high voltage pulses used to start the lamp!!! See my previous post.

You can do what I did, cut the original cord in half. Strip it back to expose the wires on both ends and wire one side to a outdoor female connector and the other to a male outdoor connector. Then either make your own heavy duty extension cord the exact same way or purchase one of the appropriate length. My light is a tight fit in my closet and a pain in the *** to move around so I did this so I can move the ballast at a moments notice if I need to, and it provides me with extra cord length as well.

Latest posts

Back