lights when sexing plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BGrimey420

Reaction score
What is the best type of light to sex plants? does it matter between soil and hydroponic? i have T5's for Veg. and 2-250w MH will one work better than the other also have 2-400w HPS and 2-1000W w/Changeable ballasts. i would say to use the T5's because it will not stress as much as the bigger lights but what is faster in and out of 12's.

Plant will show sex in Vegg stage if left long enough, watch for alternating nodes then check for pre-flowers. Alternating nodes mean the plant is sexualy mature. But if you want to induce flowering to check sex of the plant then I would go with either of the HPS you have. If your grow space is under 3x3 area then I would use the 400 watt HPS if it is larger than a 4x4 then I would use the 1000watt HPS. Just to control heat issues. But the HPS is the way to go to flower plants...take care..

Oh and 1 more thing flowering is done by changing light schedual from 18/6 to 12/12...take care..

To actually sex the plant, your light does not matter. The plant will preflower in veg if left long enough or flower once put into bloom and is sexually mature. The HPS light is useful for bud production and I believe more specifically, resin production. But for sexing, light spectrum matters not.
There will be varying opinions about soil and hydro.
IMO, hydro if done right gives you a greater potential to maximize your plant and it's potential.
Soil is easier... harder to screw up and much less forgiving.
The size of your lights will not stress your plants. The more light better, especially when in flower. What stresses the plant is the heat from lights being to close or the temps being to high from improper venting for a perhaps oversized light. Pick what fits your grow best and tinker. If you can vent and cool a 1000w HPS, run that bad boy.
Good luck and good smoke

thanks i am pretty impatient and i have always grown from Clones. so how long should I 12/12 them to sex them before i can reveg. them?

Latest posts

Back