LST question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relentless999

Reaction score
Ive read all the threads on LST, but even with the pictures it is somewhat confusing because of all the branches..
This is what I got out of it..
Start at 2 weeks of growth. reposition stringes atleast once a week.
tie first string to base as an anchor
tie second string to top, but where it wont slip off, pull the top of the branche down basically horizontal.
Now, this is where I am lost on what to do..
Fill me in please!

Yo Ho Relentless999,

A most excellent question, In low stress training, you are causing your baby to lean over more and more, just don't try to bend a plant completly over right off the git, or you risk snapping a stalk, so small adjustments at a time are best. The idea is to allow the side branches to grow upwards now and each will grow much as an individual plant, so you can definitly increase your babies output. Say you have one top right now with your plant, by LST you might have 5-6 branches on the side that will now grow upwards, and give you them as your new tops.
Pretty cool to experiment with, but I'm not convinced that this will work with all the varieties.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna:cool:

Reactions: D3
heres what happens, the main growth tip (top of the plant) is full of hormones that are telling that main growth tip to keep searching for light (growing upwards). when you LST, the idea is to bring your secondary growth higher then the original main growth tip, this is why you gradually lower that main tip until its under basically all secondary growth. this diverts those hormones from the main growth tip to the tips of the secondary growth, thus telling them to search for light and becoming your new main growth tips. hope that helps.

cool. so once I pull down that main stalk at the top horizontal, I just keep repositioning the string on that one? I could have sworn ive seen people tying down the other branches..

CoolAsAFan said:
heres what happens, the main growth tip (top of the plant) is full of hormones that are telling that main growth tip to keep searching for light (growing upwards). when you LST, the idea is to bring your secondary growth higher then the original main growth tip, this is why you gradually lower that main tip until its under basically all secondary growth. this diverts those hormones from the main growth tip to the tips of the secondary growth, thus telling them to search for light and becoming your new main growth tips. hope that helps.
that does help, but I am still a little confused. I know there is no right way to lst, and most is basically preference, but I like to get an idea before I do something..

So I gradually lower the main branch until the other branches catch up, then stop lowering the branch? do I tie the other branches down too? when?

thanks guys!

you can tie others or all or none
most ppl use this for an even canopy so they let the plant gorw to a said hieght then anything over that hieght gets tied down
i see it as a kind of screen of green without the srceen you just use string to move any branch that is higher than you want or growing in a driection you want

If you follow the above procedures and tie the top of the plant over, and leave it tied for a couple weeks or so, and untie it, it will pretty much stay where it is. At least it won't spring back up straight, like before you started LST.

So, if the top of the plant grows 2-3 inches past where you have it tied off, you could untie your string, move it 2-3 inches closer to the top and retie it, thus keeping the main stalk growing in a horizontal orientation. (BTW, when you get to this point, you'll come to realise that pipe cleaners or some kind of stiff wire works a lot easier than string.) As the side branches get long enough that they're growing over the top of the plant, you could tie the side branches off the same way. Theoretically, you could spread one plant over many square feet and create a SeaOfGreen from just the one plant.

Latest posts

Back