Male? Female? Intersex?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erwinsweeney

Reaction score
Hello all. I had one feminized bean from Barneys Farm, it is LSD strain. The first preflowers it put out look tyo be male to me, can't tell for sure. Since then all preflowers are calyx with pistils. They have been in flower for 3 days now. The original male looking preflowers showed up in veg under 400 watt mh on 24/0 schedule. Question is: Should I cull this now, wait, or what? First two pics are the male looking preflowers. Last pic is of calyx with pistils. Thank you ahead of time for any input or help.

DSC00213.JPG

DSC00215.JPG

DSC00214.JPG

PS. A lot of stuff I read says don't trust the first preflower, and to wait a little longer for more to show up. I just want to be sure it is intersex before I destroy a plant and the clones I took from it, afterall it was a $15 bean. But if it is definitely intersex, then it must go.

Yea man I don't see anything either. Last pic has the calyx with this pistil but that's all I see. Keep eyes open though they can sprout anytime.

erwinsweeney said:
Hello all. I had one feminized bean from Barneys Farm, it is LSD strain. The first preflowers it put out look tyo be male to me, can't tell for sure. Since then all preflowers are calyx with pistils. They have been in flower for 3 days now. The original male looking preflowers showed up in veg under 400 watt mh on 24/0 schedule. Question is: Should I cull this now, wait, or what? First two pics are the male looking preflowers. Last pic is of calyx with pistils. Thank you ahead of time for any input or help.

idk.. the first 2 kinda jus look like the stipules..not necessarily male parts.. the 3rd is def fem.. id say give it another week and if it is anythin (which i dont think it is) then go from there.. but as of rite now ur lookin like a daddy.. congrats on your lady:lama:

Here are a couple more pics of the same preflower as above taken in normal light, the above were in hps lighting.

DSC00216.JPG

DSC00217.JPG

i cant really tell wut the lil white thing is.. looks a lil blurry.. but other than that the 2 pointy things are stipules which is normal..

ozzydiodude said:
Intersex plants or so rare I dought it will be one. Hermie are more likely, when growing femmed seeds.

Thanks for the quick reply Oz. Question then: Would a hermie show a single male preflower, then afterwards show all female preflowers? Do hermies work like that sometimes? I've never had a hermie, so I am clueless, and thus asking questions.

flaboy88 said:
i cant really tell wut the lil white thing is.. looks a lil blurry.. but other than that the 2 pointy things are stipules which is normal..

Exactly where I'm at. The lil white thing is exactly what i'm in doubt with. I've never had hermie or intersex plant. Any time i've had male plants, it has been pretty cut and dry, easy to figure out. I guess give a little more time is what I'll do.

erwinsweeney said:
Thanks for the quick reply Oz. Question then: Would a hermie show a single male preflower, then afterwards show all female preflowers? Do hermies work like that sometimes? I've never had a hermie, so I am clueless, and thus asking questions.

i have only had 1 plant hermie on me and it was more towards the end close to harvest i realized i had a light leak..if your doin everythin rite you should b fine unless its in the genetics of the seed.. as of rite now i wouldnt worry

Of the 5 hermi's I have have 4 showed nanners in the 4th week and they were nanners in different areas on each plant. The other 1 hermied in the 6th week in just the top cola. All 5 where grown outdoors.

If it was male parts you certainly have time to let it develope into something a little mor identifiable...I don't see anything either.

When I see what i think are male pre flowers I group them together in my room, and wait a week or so...I've been doing this many yrs, and sometimes I get surprised and pistils pop out...the thing is you have alot of time before it will release pollen...so you don't have to be in a hurry.

I have alot of friends that use fem seeds...I'm not a fan, but thats mostly because I like to make some breedings occasionaly. Fems truely are usually fems, but the thing is that when rookies get their hands on them and do rookie mistakes...the little bit of stress can bring out the bad traits. If you know what you are doing I see nothing wrong with fem seeds...as long as your not breeding them.

Latest posts

Back