Marijuana Research Programs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonesman51

Old hippy
Reaction score
I am wondering if there are others out there that have been subjects in Marijuana Research studies? I would love to hear other peoples' experiences.

I was involved with a study at the UCLA Medical Center in West LA, back in 1974.

It was a 3 month stay at the Medical Center, with 5 others. We were all admitted staggered, so all tests could be done at the same week of your stay.

For the first 2 weeks, you had to STOP SMOKING! Then, they had us smoke 3 joints in a row, while taking blood samples for testing the drop in testosterone. It dropped like a rock.

We had pulmonary tests, where they found that it dilated the bronchial tree, better than any available asthma medicine.

The eye test saw a drop in IOP (intra-ocular pressure) of 30% (in me). That is what makes it so good for glaucoma. :hubba:

We had our brain waves measured also. My Alpha waves (relaxation) were increased. On another participant, it raised his Delta waves.

They tested our hearts, had pictures of our retinas taken, had Aura photos taken, tested our lungs.

We could smoke at Noon, every day. Then again at 3PM to 11PM (an 8-hour workday, no?). On the weekends, we would do 4PM to Midnight.

All afternoon we could earn money by using a calculator to add up rows of 6-digit numbers. Or, we could complete a foreign language workbook. Each correct answer was worth 10 cents.

The dope was TERRIBLE. Grown in Mississippi by the government. UGH! It was about 3% THC!!!! (now I am smoking Skunk, with about 20%!!! yippee!) :p :ccc:

Each joint came in its own "nickel bag", small manila envelope. Each one was signed out by the consumer. Each one cost 25 cents. :eek:

I would usually smoke about 12 or 13 a day (remember only 3%). They would take our pulse before and after, and ask us to grade the high, from 1-7 (7 being the highest). :holysheep:

Now here it is 35 years later and I wish they would call us all back for review. We had a lot of fun. We would get a state car and go to Venice beach with a staff member. 6 freaks and 1 nurse.... :cool:

If any of you that were there are reading this, send me a PM. We can have a reunion.

Davey Jones (my handle during the program) :D

Sounds like quite the interesting experience, I would imagine if they had those today, the signup list would be rather long!! :cool:

Latest posts

Back