MH/HPS question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missabentley

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm changing a few things around. I have a 600w MH I want to use in a 1000w or 600w magnetic HPS ballast. From my understanding either will work. Correct? I just want to make sure. I say 600 OR 1000 bc I'm currently rockin 1000w and 600w HPS in my flower and have another 1000w HPS ballast not in use. Thanks everyone :D

NO. You have to have the right ballast either mh lamps in mh ballast or hps lamp in hps ballast.

Now, with Metal Halide Conversion lamps, those are MH designed to work in a hps setup(socket).

See, I ready that a reg MH can go in HPS but not other way around bc HPS requires an ignighter? Maybe I completely misunderstood or people were doing it but it's not completely safe :confused2: thanks for speedy response 7ge. Was planning to set it up tonight and see what happened.. Dangit

well thats just what I've been told by a few different growers through the years.

none were true electricians but made sense to me and I've never had one hot cable or browned socket.

I just follow that rule to stay on the right side of safe...

Oh I wasn't disputing ya 7ge. It wasn't a reputatable source so I figured I'd double check here since I got the spare equip

This is from the Kind Green Buds site:

"HID bulbs generally need specific ballasts, and any given ballast can usually safely and effectively operate only one type or a few types of HID bulbs.

The bulb wattage must be matched to the ballast. A smaller bulb will usually be fed a wattage close to what the proper bulb takes, and will generally overheat and may catastrophically fail. Any catastrophic failures may not necessarily happen quickly. A larger bulb will be underpowered, and will operate at reduced efficiency and may have a shortened lifetime. The ballast may also overheat from prolonged operation with an oversized bulb that fails to warm."

Which would indeed shorten the ballast's life.

Latest posts

Back