MH to HPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyGalaxy

Reaction score
I am going to flower what do you think os switching from MH to HPS now?

if your going to flower you should switch to HPS now, i kept MH running for first 2 weeks recently and noticed no difference.

you can switch now or in a week or 2

It's allways better to change them over right away, as hps has more lumen output then MH.

dman1234 said:
if your going to flower you should switch to HPS now, i kept MH running for first 2 weeks recently and noticed no difference.

you can switch now or in a week or 2

Hey Dman, did you do that test with the same strain? And was that strain BuKu?

Ya I would change the light at flower, because of the amount of light and the spectrum issues.

v35b said:
Hey Dman, did you do that test with the same strain? And was that strain BuKu?

I did it the last 2 times i flipped to flower, the first time there were 12 plants 5 different strains, one plant was Buku, the second time was this crop, i swithed to HPS at 3 weeks 9 plants 5 Larry, 4 Buku.

I owned a MH for my very first grow and ditched after that. HO T5's for veg and HPS for flower for me.

dman1234 said:
I did it the last 2 times i flipped to flower, the first time there were 12 plants 5 different strains, one plant was Buku, the second time was this crop, i swithed to HPS at 3 weeks 9 plants 5 Larry, 4 Buku.

Dman, I did the my current grow with the MH (400w) for the first two weeks after the flip, then 600w HPS.

Larry is a medium height plant..To me that means less then 5'.

BuKu is a small plant..Less then 3'

If you lookup Kushage from TH seeds they list that as a tall plant,however my Kushage is done with stretching and is still less then 4'.

Don't you need lumens more for penetration? How much penetration do you need for a plant that is only 10-12" when you flip em?

v35b said:
Dman, I did the my current grow with the MH (400w) for the first two weeks after the flip, then 600w HPS.

Larry is a medium height plant..To me that means less then 5'.

BuKu is a small plant..Less then 3'

If you lookup Kushage from TH seeds they list that as a tall plant,however my Kushage is done with stretching and is still less then 4'.

Don't you need lumens more for penetration? How much penetration do you need for a plant that is only 10-12" when you flip em?

I hear what your saying.

I use MH for the first two weeks of flowering, something I've been doing for the last three grows, and I notice a difference. It seems to limit the stretch. I'd rather use fluros instead of MH, but I can't afford to buy new equipment.

Alistair said:
I use MH for the first two weeks of flowering, something I've been doing for the last three grows, and I notice a difference. It seems to limit the stretch. I'd rather use fluros instead of MH, but I can't afford to buy new equipment.

Alistair, did you see any decline in the yield?

No, I didn't notice any change in yield, but I wouldn't necessarily notice anyway, because I'm not all that observant at times. If the buds look nice and big as per usual, I assume the yield didn't suffer. That's just my opinion, though.

15 days old Samsara Seeds 'Supersonic Cristal Storm' Automatic. 10182011109.jpg 10182011111.jpg 10182011112.jpgi currently use a MH bulb, i was wondering which bulb would be the best for an auto MH or HPS. or should i continue using the MH till the auto starts flowering or switch to the HPS right now and use that till harvest? 10182011114.jpg 10182011110.jpg

darocsfinest1 said:
15 days old Samsara Seeds 'Supersonic Cristal Storm' Automatic. View attachment 178410 View attachment 178411 View attachment 178412i currently use a MH bulb, i was wondering which bulb would be the best for an auto MH or HPS. or should i continue using the MH till the auto starts flowering or switch to the HPS right now and use that till harvest? View attachment 178413 View attachment 178414

Not sure about auto's.I've never grown them.

In my current grow, I did use MH for the first two weeks after the flip,and it did reduce the stretch by about 1/3.

Alistair said:
No, I didn't notice any change in yield, but I wouldn't necessarily notice anyway, because I'm not all that observant at times. If the buds look nice and big as per usual, I assume the yield didn't suffer. That's just my opinion, though.

Well put Alistair. If you're pleased with the results, that's all that really matters. :) Hope all is well with you.

Latest posts

Back