Miracle Gro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blue and green bag - Mositure control
orange and white bag - organic MG
green and yellow bag - prenuted 6 month (what i use)
blue/ green & white bag - seed starting
yellow bag - garden soil
orange/white - scotts brand - same as mg but lower end

so when i say green it means the majority of the color of the bag, the seed starting mix is mostly a light blue bag with green top/bottom

i could call the stuff i use the yellow bag i guess but that would be the garden soil

picture line up, these are the most stock stuff sure theres other bag styles but these are the most common, others take shopping around or at garden supply shops.

can see why i consider it the "green" bag (the back completly green compared to others) but i see where your coming from when most have green tops/bottom

Untitled-1.png

Lets face it. MG is pretty much the bottom of the barrel for growing mj. It is why it is cheap, and why it is carried by the big chains. Unless it is simply ALL that is available to you, there are better choices.

Why not use some Fox Farms Ocean Forest? Amend with some perlite and a dash of dolomite lime and you're golden. It's useful for up till 4 weeks, then all the Nitrogen gets absorbed and that's when u xplant to some freshys (strain dependant, mind you, some are heavy feeders :icon_smile: ). And I only use the Big Bloom throughout, so no ph adjustment is really needed...then during bloom I utilize molasses with my waterings after week 2 of bloom.:hubba:

You can also innoculate with Great White beneficials as well to give the rhizosphere a population boost..if ya want...

Hick said:
Lets face it. MG is pretty much the bottom of the barrel for growing mj. It is why it is cheap, and why it is carried by the big chains. Unless it is simply ALL that is available to you, there are better choices.

i have to disagree, there is so many other potting mixes prenuted and not which are wayyy worst than the MG.
the reason all the bargain places have it is cause its what people want, and what works, not for MJ, but for thier flowers and veggy gardens.

have to remeber about 2 years ago the MG line (green/yellow bag) was "new and improved" i noticed a big differnce, less bark, better texture, better drainage, and alot less time release.

in a side by side of clones, i grow much healthier plants than i did in the FFOF, why i switched back from it to the mg again. but thats just me, others could have oppostie result based on thier growing style.

heres a few i tried and i consider these the bottom of the barrel cuase plants just have issues and more issues, also tried many other mixes but cant find pictures, but the MG blows them all away, IMO its quality is right up there with FFOF just using chems instead of more organics.

premiu1.jpg

SRLB%20Premium%20Potting%2030L-1.jpg

ultimate-potting-mix.jpg

pso905-a.jpg

I heard MG was trying to come up with some soil for MJ. Any truth to that? :)

Has anyone else gotten an explosion of soil gnats when using Miracle-Gro soil? Ever since that happened to me (indoors, of course) I have used Fox Farm exclusively.

YYZ Skinhead said:
Has anyone else gotten an explosion of soil gnats when using Miracle-Gro soil? Ever since that happened to me (indoors, of course) I have used Fox Farm exclusively.

depends on if the soil was stored outside or not, i actually got gnats from a bag of FF also, just depends on where it was stored.

PuffinNugs said:
depends on if the soil was stored outside or not, i actually got gnats from a bag of FF also, just depends on where it was stored.

Yah that's the case but I can assure you that MG soil, especially the stuff most growers probably buy in the garden center at Home Depot, Walmart or Lowe's are always stored long term on pallets outdoors. Most reputable indoor hydro shops know that indoor gardeners don't want pests and get their soil supplies from large warehouse distribution points and any time outdoors for these sanitized soils is typically very brief. That's not saying stuff doesn't happen while using FFOF, Roots Organic or another brand carried by your indoor garden store but it's much less likely. I've used FFOF and/or Roots for my base soil for 15 years and I think I've had a gnat infestation once in all that time that I could plainly tell was coming from my soil mix...:rolleyes:

I've heard decent things about MG organic soil but I agree with the others that if there are better options available, its a worthwhile investment. With medicine ;) costing $15 per gram for top nugs even a few grams better performance will save you that much at the dispensary.:hubba: The pre fertilized mixes introduce way more problems to the MJ grow when I tried them many years ago. If you can get pro mix-BX and a handful of amendments you can build a better soil than MG and when you use your mix with a quality synthetic or organic fertilizer that you control the dosage you'll see your garden explode with glee! :yay:

Peace~!:cool:

Mine was indoors when I got it at my local garden store. No telling where it was before that though.
I just remembered, that's why I bought it. It was the only brand they had inside. :)

well ive been gnat free last 7 bags i boughten, *knocks on wood*

Fortunately my local hydro warehouse has always stored all their ferts indoors (probably because of growers' soil gnat lore). That being said, were I growing outdoors I would possibly add Miracle-Gro to the FF.

dirtyolsouth said:
Yah that's the case but I can assure you that MG soil, especially the stuff most growers probably buy in the garden center at Home Depot, Walmart or Lowe's are always stored long term on pallets outdoors. Most reputable indoor hydro shops know that indoor gardeners don't want pests and get their soil supplies from large warehouse distribution points and any time outdoors for these sanitized soils is typically very brief. That's not saying stuff doesn't happen while using FFOF, Roots Organic or another brand carried by your indoor garden store but it's much less likely. I've used FFOF and/or Roots for my base soil for 15 years and I think I've had a gnat infestation once in all that time that I could plainly tell was coming from my soil mix...:rolleyes:

I've heard decent things about MG organic soil but I agree with the others that if there are better options available, its a worthwhile investment. With medicine ;) costing $15 per gram for top nugs even a few grams better performance will save you that much at the dispensary.:hubba: The pre fertilized mixes introduce way more problems to the MJ grow when I tried them many years ago. If you can get pro mix-BX and a handful of amendments you can build a better soil than MG and when you use your mix with a quality synthetic or organic fertilizer that you control the dosage you'll see your garden explode with glee! :yay:

Peace~!:cool:

:yeahthat: :goodposting:

The mg organic is one of the worst soils I ever tried. It was all bark. Plants never grew

PuffinNugs said:
The mg organic is one of the worst soils I ever tried. It was all bark. Plants never grew

I agree....... I like to mix it with another kind we get around my parts ...... add some perlite...... some lime....... and a few other things including some recycled dirt.

PuffinNugs said:

Oh that is no doubt.....I tried that crap once myself. Thought I bought a bag of bark by mistake.:)

Hamster Lewis said:
Oh that is no doubt.....I tried that crap once myself. Thought I bought a bag of bark by mistake.:)

I have a piece of bag around..... when I get a chance to spread it out on a trap..... I'll snap a few photos of it and show everybody all the bark in it....... so far it has work good as a 1/5 mix of soil for my grows though...... i think all the pine bark in it makes the soil acidic.

another trick I have used to bring down the hot MG that feeds for 4 months is to flush it and let dry a couple of times before I planted in it.

I tried the moisture control once...... yall take some advice and don't even think about tring it.

Latest posts

Back