More DWC questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akhockey

Reaction score
I have been spending hours upon hours reading and soaking up some of the vast knowledge from some experienced folks on here. I have become quite fascinated by the DWC system. I have always been an avid gardener and looked upon hydroponics with envy, but have never really done enough research to not be completely terrified of killing plants. Lol.
My questions (to start with, I'm sure I'll have more) are; If I build a DIY system for say 6 plants will a couple of airstones be sufficient or should there be one under each plant? My next question is, should air be run constantly, or just during periods when the lighting is on? My guess is continuous but I haven't read any info in the scores of threads I've read.
My apologies in advance if someone has discussed these matters before, Ive been researching but there are hundreds or threads here and I keep getting sidetracked by other fascinating information.
I give kudos to The Hemp Goddess on her DIY scrog setup and the info she has passed on....I think reading that thread has finally given me the ambition to ditch soil and try hydro out for stealthy things as well as veggies!:hubba:
Im going to try some autos out so I figure I can do 4-6 plants in a roughly 2x3 foot system.

I use a 1 plant to a 5 gallon bucket DWC system and yes your air pump/air stone is running 24/7

For larger plants you want them to be spaced at least 1.5' on center, for medium plants 12" on center, for a clone garden 6" on center.
Air stones rum 24/7 I use a 100 galon pump for every 20 galons of water, the size of the air stone will depend on the size of the rez I have air stones that are 23" long and some that are 12" long, do not buy the cheapest airstones and or pumps they will fail, and try to use black tubing if possible.
Keep the air pump away from any heat, warm room, light, ballast, etc
Make sure water temp does not go bellow 60 F or above 75 F

I'll tell yea I'm a farmer by nature :hubba: :D grew up in a big farm in Europe reaped fruit and veggies from Mother Nature for 20 + hydro is a piece of cake and much cleaner than soil, BUT its a pain in the arse to learn and get it down to a T, if you do not have everything down to a T including proper nute feeding, PH, room temp, canopy temp, proper air circulation (air in + air out + osciliating fans) water temp dont even bother to try hydro because it will fail pretty bad.

When plants are grown hydroponacly they are 100 times more sensitive to everything, and anything, hydro is NOT forgiving at all, but once everything is dialed in you will never grow in soil again, at least I wount :D and if you can use pure untouched rain water, that is the best water you could ever use.

Pepper said:
For larger plants you want them to be spaced at least 1.5' on center, for medium plants 12" on center, for a clone garden 6" on center.
Air stones rum 24/7 I use a 100 galon pump for every 20 galons of water, the size of the air stone will depend on the size of the rez I have air stones that are 23" long and some that are 12" long, do not buy the cheapest airstones and or pumps they will fail, and try to use black tubing if possible.
Keep the air pump away from any heat, warm room, light, ballast, etc
Make sure water temp does not go bellow 60 F or above 75 F

I'll tell yea I'm a farmer by nature :hubba: :D grew up in a big farm in Europe reaped fruit and veggies from Mother Nature for 20 + hydro is a piece of cake and much cleaner than soil, BUT its a pain in the arse to learn and get it down to a T, if you do not have everything down to a T including proper nute feeding, PH, room temp, canopy temp, proper air circulation (air in + air out + osciliating fans) water temp dont even bother to try hydro because it will fail pretty bad.

When plants are grown hydroponacly they are 100 times more sensitive to everything, and anything, hydro is NOT forgiving at all, but once everything is dialed in you will never grow in soil again, at least I wount :D and if you can use pure untouched rain water, that is the best water you could ever use.

:confused2: I find DWC quite easy to use and understand. Only special equipment needed was a ph meter and some research. As far as everything else, a grower needs that equipment no matter what they grow in.

Thanks. I am not really certain as to the size of my res yet. I am going shopping for one tomorrow! Im basically going to find a very large tote and build it myself. I figure if I can build a viable hydro system for under 50 bucks then I am damn sure going to give it a shot. I need a hobby right now anyways. I thought of another question just now. Pot size? I am used to growing in soil where bigger pots mean bigger roots. Any recommendations on pots to use I will be using rockwool cubes to start seeds and hydroton as a medium. I was guessing that 5 or so inchers would be about right for dwarf strains.

akhockey said:
Thanks. I am not really certain as to the size of my res yet. I am going shopping for one tomorrow! Im basically going to find a very large tote and build it myself. I figure if I can build a viable hydro system for under 50 bucks then I am damn sure going to give it a shot. I need a hobby right now anyways. I thought of another question just now. Pot size? I am used to growing in soil where bigger pots mean bigger roots. Any recommendations on pots to use I will be using rockwool cubes to start seeds and hydroton as a medium. I was guessing that 5 or so inchers would be about right for dwarf strains.

Unlike soil the size of the hydroponic unit is irrelevant meaning the larger the rez does not equal larger plants, roots do not get root bound in a a dwc unit as they would in a small pot using soil.
You can use black 5 galon buckets with 6 or 8" covers, with 3 to 4 galons of water, or you can build a dwc unit out of a cooler using 3 or 4" net pots is all you need, and those are very nice because it is easy to maintain rez temps.

I bought my dwc units at home depot they are 27 galon heavy duty storage bins for 12 bucks 30" L x 20" W x 14" H black bottom with a yellow cover and I use 6 mil visqueen plastic to cover the lids and I put the white facing up towards the light, works great.

with a 5/16" bit drill 2 holes on the side on the bin as high as you can (for 2 air lines) I drillled mine right under the handles, on the top of the cover also drill a hole for adding water, checking ph, that can be a 1" or 2" hole just make sure that the hole is covered at all times, NO light in the water, you can cover the hole with a piece of visqueen, or anything else that will block 100% of light.

the size of rockwool cubes do not mean bigger roots b/c your roots will have the entire res to fill.

i think it would be a personal pref. but i prefer the small grodan blocks b/c the roots emerge faster.

In a 3 x 2' space, I personally would do 2-3 plants and either lst or scrog. However, if you are doing autos, you can probably get 6 in there if your res is large enough. I would try to get as large a res as you can fit into your space (within reason:D of course). I veg my plants in 3" net pots and then transfer to 6" pots to flower. However, I do not grow autos and some of my girls get 5+' tall.

I also run individual 5 gal buckets. I have a large commercial type air pump that puts out 110 liters a minute. This is connected to a 12 port manifold. If I have 6 or less plants flowering, each one gets 2 air stones.

Yes the grodan 1.5 is all that is needed to sart seed or clone. I'm switching over to rapid rooter myself, no more rockwool for me.

Rapid Rooter Plant Starter

The breakthrough technology used in a Rapid Rooter results in a unique matrix of composted organic material bound together by plant-derived polymers. Rapid Rooter is created through a scientifically controlled process which produces large populations of beneficial microbes in the plug media. These naturally occurring beneficial microbes colonize young roots and help young plants to maximize nutrient uptake. The optimal air-to-water ratio within the plug matrix causes explosive early root growth. Use Rapid Rooter for robust early rooting and explosive plant Growth! Replacement plugs are available.

Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I use it?
Place seed or cutting (be sure to secure it into the plug, rather than just setting the cutting into the hole loosely) into hole in the top of the plug.

When do I use it?
Use to germinate seeds or root cuttings.

What will it do for my plants?
The plugs enable roots to grow faster.

Where will I see the results?
The time required to germinate seeds or root cuttings will be reduced.

Why should I use it?
The media offers an ideal environment for starting seedlings or cuttings, aided by high oxygen-to-water ratios, as well as micronutrients and beneficial bacteria.

Hydro is the bamb. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe I just get a lot of good green mojo on this thread but I started my first hydro on a whim and BOOM! I'm growing like crazy. I've never had any problems, cloneing went great, in flower now with no problems, no bugs, no fungus, no die back (and that to me is amazing).

Hydro is the bamb. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe I just get a lot of good green mojo on this thread but I started my first hydro on a whim and BOOM! I'm growing like crazy. I've never had any problems, cloneing went great, in flower now with no problems, no bugs, no fungus, no die back (and that to me is amazing).

If you live in an area with hydroponic shops, go shopping for information and advice. Just don't express that you are going to grow pot or you'll be asked to leave the store. I purchased and use a Stealth Hydro kit. But you can use some very standard parts from the hardware store and pet store. Dark 5 gallon buckets, an air pump and air stone (aquarium stuff) water, pH strips, nutrients and flourescent lights. You can spend $50 or $500 depending on your budget and anticipated results. I highly recommend you get a medical marijuana card if you live in a state that supports it like California.
Once you try hydroponics, you will be amazed at the rapid growth. Like the rest of us, you will learn from your mistakes. Go for it!
greengenes

Man DWC is a real pain in the butt... ONLY if you have to lift your plant to change out the nutes. THG built a beautiful system to support the plants while you lift and change out your bucket. I suggest you do something similar. Make sure you have a support system for your top heavy plant. I have done numbers on my girls when lifting them up to change out the buckets... not the least of which included lifting a 3 plant bucket directly into my ceiling fan a few years ago... yes it was on high!!

*embarrassed* :clap:

Latest posts

Back