MP veterans please help...Is this a good start??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knowthyself

Knowthyself
Reaction score
I hear alot about replanting to ensure good root development but i need to know is it possible to start your seedling off in a large container lets say a 85 liter one, could you avoid the replanting hassle this way?????

I agree with mr.runbyhemp. It's not bad but it's much easier for you to water a smaller pot and let the plant develop a solid root system...yikes 85 liters thats like 21 gallons or something. Find something way smaller.

yup yup it is alot easier and if your inside or outside and got space requirments it allows you to grow more per square foot, alowing more plants.

Do not waste 85 litres of soil, it is expensive. Plant it in soil, in a plastic glass and as it grows transfer it to bigger pots.

I don't grow in soil but WOW!!! 85 liter pot, that would take your cities water resevoir to flush that baby out LOL....

Speaking from my own experience, I have had more trouble transplanting the plants from a smaller pot to a larger pot than I have just starting them out in a larger pot. I put my plants in a 1 or two gallon pot and just let nature take its course. The plants survived out in the wild earth, which is the biggest pot of them all, for centuries and did just fine so I think you will be alright as well. Your plants will tell you when they need a drink and if they aren't getting enough. You just need to learn how to understand them, which will come with time and experience.

Seattle Bong Ripper said:
jiffy pots or other brand bio-degradable pots. no mess no problem

Haha I just had an afterthought about that. Peat pots are excellent to start your plants in and then move them to a larger container. The more you water them the more they break down and the roots can tap through and continue to grow. Also kind of a timer in itself because once it has broken down to a certain point it is useless as a container so you know it is definetly time to put the whole thing in a larger pot.

gettinggray1964 said:
why don't you wait and see if your plant is male or female before you put it in a big poy?????

I have some feminised beans sorry I didn't mention that part....

Runbyhemp said:
I'd personally start in a smaller pot and transplant later. It would be difficult to control soil moisture in a pot that size.

Didn't mean to spell your name wrong earlier Runbyhemp, thanks again for the correction on my post.....

pussum said:
Speaking from my own experience, I have had more trouble transplanting the plants from a smaller pot to a larger pot than I have just starting them out in a larger pot. I put my plants in a 1 or two gallon pot and just let nature take its course. The plants survived out in the wild earth, which is the biggest pot of them all, for centuries and did just fine so I think you will be alright as well. Your plants will tell you when they need a drink and if they aren't getting enough. You just need to learn how to understand them, which will come with time and experience.

I'm about to grow arjans haze#3 and I've seen the greenhouse boys start most of their plants of in that size container, but I believe gallon pots should be perfect. Good looking out for the advice P.

85 liters = 45 gallons..

what if you have 6/12 seeds??

3/5 gallon pots/containers is all you really need for moderate size inside grow.

Greenhouse seed co uses HYDRO method.. im thinking a ebb/flow method.
Big difference.

MrPuffAlot said:
85 liters = 45 gallons..

what if you have 6/12 seeds??

3/5 gallon pots/containers is all you really need for moderate size inside grow.

Good call because when I watch the videos they suggest a ph of 5.6 which is good for hydro growing. It looked like a soil grow to me at first which should have a ph of about 6.5-7.0 thanks for clearing that up....

85 liters is not 45 gallons it is more like 22.5 gallons.

But yeah that is way too big to be growing in, imo. 1 gallon for every foot of plant. So if you want to grow a 4 foot plant then ending in a 4 gallon container will be great, but as most said, IMHO, it is always better to start in a smaller pot, so you can control the moisture levels easier, and so that you are not wasting nutes

85L pot? ? ?

were you planning on vegging it for years or something?

look man... if yer thinking about a pot that size... just plant the thing outside... the roots would NEVER consume that sized pot unless you vegged it for a VERY, VERY long time...

all that would do is... bring up the possibility of overwatering, root rot, soil rot, mold/mildew, and bugs.

listen man... start with a small pot, and transplant and work up to the size you are shooting for... (plant size, age)...

TRUST ME :cool:

Latest posts

Back