Mr. Bubbles - Producing Seed - WW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Bubbles

Reaction score
I thought I would start a journal to document the method I am currently using to produce seed. Of course if you have any questions feel free to ask, additional input is also greatly appreciated.

First I start out with male that has been sexed in flower, this is our donor for this experiment;

MalePlant.jpg

After roughly 10 days from being sexed I can see the male pollen sacks growing larger. I remove the male plant from the flower area and top the plant leaving myself 8-10 inches of plant. The more tops you take the more pollen you are going to produce.

Materials needed at this point.
A few small coffee cups with lids
A few sheets of thick photo paper
A Knife
A Pair of scissors
Scotch Tape
And Water

Using the photo paper, scissors, and scotch tape I create small 5"x5" trays. You will want to cut and bend the paper to form small sides to create the trays. Once you have the tray finished you will use a knife to stab the tray two times to form an "X" where the plant will be inserted.

Fill your coffee cups with water and ensure there is a hole big enough for the stem in the lid. Place the tray you created on top the coffee cup lid and insert your male top through the tray and lid into the cup of water.

Here is a picture of where we currently are;

MaleTops.jpg

I then move the tops back to my veg area. The tops will continue to flower normally under 24/0 or 20/4. I assume this is the case because they have not had enough time to adjust to the new light cycle.

Here are some shots of mine growing;

MaleTopsGrowing1.jpg MaleTopsGrowing2.jpg

After about 10 days and one refill of the coffee cup with water the tops will begin to drop pollen in the trays. After about 14 days I harvest the pollen. Its a good idea to flick the top lightly with your finger to shake loose any remaining pollen from the top. I collect both the pollen and the fallen pollen sacks from the trays and place everything in a small film case. I place the film case inside a ziplock bag and put it in the fridge to be stored.

To pollinate the female I dump a small amount of the pollen and sacks into non ziplock baggie. I twist the pollen up in a corner and seal with a twisty tie like so;

PollenInBag.jpg

I take the bag with pollen and a second twisty tie to the flower area. I cover the bud I want to pollinate with the baggie and use the second tie to secure the bottom half of the bag.

Here is a poor shoot of the bud before;
FemaleBudBefore.jpg

Her is a shot of the bud with baggie on top and second twisty tie securing the bottom of the baggie.
FemaleBudAfter.jpg

When you are ready untwist the pollen side of the baggie shaking it on the plant and leave everything as is. I would also like to suggest you turn off all of your ventilation. It might be a good idea todo this before the night cycle so you can leave your fans off.

That brings us current 1/29. I will post pictures as the bud hopefully takes and begins forming seeds over the next 2-3 weeks.

Mr. Bubbles

I cant wait till time and space allows me to breed!!! What genetics r u workn with?? N E Way Best of luck 2ya!!!

gangalama said:
I cant wait till time and space allows me to breed!!! What genetics r u workn with?? N E Way Best of luck 2ya!!!

There is no additional space required for this. Instead of taking the tops to a Veg area as I have done you could just place them under a single 23w CFL anywhere but your flowering area. The whole process to collect the pollen was roughly 14 days.

To answer your question, this is White Widow from Nirvana.

Mr. Bubbles said:
There is no additional space required for this. Instead of taking the tops to a Veg area as I have done you could just place them under a single 23w CFL anywhere but your flowering area. The whole process to collect the pollen was roughly 14 days.

To answer your question, this is White Widow from Nirvana.

I`m to nervous of destroying my sinsemillia:bolt:

Today is 2/1 day 3 for this project.

I removed the plastic baggie after 24 hours and I think everything looks good. The white hairs are starting to react and are noticeably different. Looks like a good sign to me.

BudPollenAfter.jpg

this is a nice post Bubbles...It should also be a sticky if all works out well..I know I would use this method If I couls find it later when im ready for seed production..Thanks Friend

gangalama said:
I`m to nervous of destroying my sinsemillia:bolt:

As long as you have the pollen away from the flower room, be aware of how the airflows in your area, you should be fine. Also please wash up after every peek or everytime you go near your males. Pollen can travel on clothes. And like Mr. Bubbles said, you don't need much light or space for males...plus it's fun.

Well I am upstairs preparing to capture some pollen from my current grow thinking "I should take some pictures.". Thats when it dawned on me I had a journal going.

Here is two Skunk #1 males I am working now.
Skunk11.jpg Skunk12.jpg

Back on topic here ;)

Not the best photo but here is where we are with the WW bud. Sorry I will not be able to get any better shots for a few days. The photo is not bad, take a look. I put some lines in there as to where it appears seeds are growing.

CIMG0012.jpg

I subscribed to this thread so i do not lose it again...

And we are done. Here is the last day of life for this bud;

Living1.jpg Living2.jpg

Honestly at this point I was still a little skeptical. In its final weeks the seeds were near impossible to spot.

Here are the last two;

Final1.jpg Final2.jpg

Sorry the last pictured sucked, but you can see seeds. I counted roughly 25 great looking ones with maybe 5 under developed and lost maybe 3.

In conclusion, TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. One other observation I made was the pollen off the plant FLYS. Pollen out of the camera case in the freezer dried out for 20 minutes not so much.

Best of luck

you cross the males you just happen upon? how many males have you grown out? i see nothing in your post about ways to find a quality breeding mate... just a few gaps there is all...

how do you decide on females?

and i have to say man that method is a disaster waiting to happen. what happens if a noob goes to shake the bag and something happens and the entire crop is seeded?

i would have to say that seperation is a must if u use this method.... and also use the lower less dense popcorn nuggs if possible. i would mist the plant before it is reintroduced to the garden as well as soon as the fans kik back on residual pollen will blow everywhere.

i just would not recommend this method when you could pluck the male bannanas, let them drop pollen in a film canister then take a detail paintbrush and dust what ever buds EXACTLY where you want to impregnate. i mark my branches with colored zipties loose arond the branch by the main stem with a label to which strian is what color- that way you can make many crosses. i have a thread on pollinating the easy way if anyone needs it it will be in my sig tonight.

nice thread mr bubbles, get back to me :cool:

**btw, you can lightly squeeze a ferted bud to feel the seeds inside to be sure.

trillions of atoms said:
you cross the males you just happen upon? how many males have you grown out? i see nothing in your post about ways to find a quality breeding mate... just a few gaps there is all...

I was simply showing how I produced seed. Let each his own pick their mates, its kinda like standing in front of the slurpee machine in 7-11. Mine have a sad story involving Nirvana but I cant go there.

I am excited you are going to start a journal on producing seed, the more information available the better. Happy stalking. This again is journal on how I produce seed, not a thread for any "mine is bigger than yours" childish crap. :fid:

well its not even that bro...i am just saying that this method if done by a novice can be harmful if there not shooting to fert the whole crop. dont be mad that im pointiong out a weak point. youve had sucuess with this method which means yer expierenced and nothing more. sorry if im coming across **** but im just tyring to help someone who has no expierence at making seeds. i thought that was whats important.... sorry man.

We are good dude, I have no hard feelings. There is a degree of risk in everything we do including producing seed. You wouldn't be doing your part if you didn't warn the community thinking there was problem.

IMO the most dangerous part of THIS current run through is the collection process. Despite in my case the collection taking place in different rooms on different levels of the house. We KNOW the pollen in this state will FLY as it was meant to.

When the ziplock with a film case is removed from the fridge or freezer nothing is flying. At this point it even appears you have lost much of your substance. When the pollen and sacks are dropped onto the bud they are still very much in this frozen state IMO. Its usually during the night period I believe they dry out and pollinated the plant. At least it sounds reasonable :)

I know now your thinking how do you get that thing off without pollinating everything. After the dark period ends comes the light and some science stuff happens. The bud with an infinite supply of water enclosed in a clear baggie with lighting shining on it. I really wish I had some pictures but if you have not guessed it rains ALOT inside that baggie. I believe it is this moisture like the suggestion to mist that prevents spreading while removing or after to other plants. For the record I had no idea this would happen when I first tried to seal the baggie on the bottom.

Latest posts

Back