My first hydro system!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im beggining to think that your like Dr.dolittle but with plants SB!:batman

I think im gonna wait until ive got some roots showing on all seedlings then put them in the system. I'll keep ya'l posted. Thanks for all the help! :)

:48: Thanks stoney bud hey by chance do u use a dripper setup because im looking for the thing that the pump pumps water to and it has a few different setups like 6 8 10 12 hoses then u connect ur hose to that hose along with a spike?? i hope u know what im talking bout..:confused:

BushyKush420 said:
Thanks stoney bud hey by chance do u use a dripper setup because im looking for the thing that the pump pumps water to and it has a few different setups like 6 8 10 12 hoses then u connect ur hose to that hose along with a spike?? i hope u know what im talking bout..
No, I don't use a drip system. I use ebb and flow. Start your own thread in this area and just ask about it. You'll get lots of answers.

Hey, another question im afraid! Im having troubles finding something that will completly stop the light getting to my reservoir, Any ideas? i know you said paint, but any particular paint thats more effective than others??

Offspring_36 said:
Hey, another question im afraid! Im having troubles finding something that will completly stop the light getting to my reservoir, Any ideas? i know you said paint, but any particular paint thats more effective than others??
Depending on the type of plastic the container is made from, paint adherance is a trial thing.

What you could do is get some sand paper. Scuff the entire container so that it's nice and rough. Then rinse it and dry it.

A pint of paint should do it easy. Get a 4" roller and just roll it on. Let it dry real good before using it. Test the paint for adhesion by trying to peel it off the plastic after it drys. If you can't peel it, you're good to go.

Use black paint. That should stop the light well. Tell the guy at the paint store you're trying to paint a plastic tub as a flower planter that will be outside in the sun. He should be able to tell you the best type of paint.

Good luck man.

Thanks SB again! I'll see what i can find. The other choice is to do what you suggested and get some longer pipe and keep the reservoir out of the grow area. i have a feeling i may end up doing that, then you can i say " i told you so" lol thanks again

Offspring_36 said:
Thanks SB again! I'll see what i can find. The other choice is to do what you suggested and get some longer pipe and keep the reservoir out of the grow area. i have a feeling i may end up doing that, then you can i say " i told you so" lol thanks again
I would never say "I told you so"!

Your grow chamber also looked like it is clear. You'll have to paint it as well unless you move it out of the grow room to. Wait, you can't move it!

Hahahahaaha, I told you so! (I crack me up)

If you are going to paint plastic u'll be lookin for "Krylon Fusion". Typically used for tinting a persons vehicle lights.... it sticks like... well.. dont let me start. But it is good stuff!

Hello again! well i decided to cover the grow tray with light proof white sheeting in the end, looks a bit scruffy but does the job i think. I may yet put a lid on the tray and cover that also, then just cut some holes for the plants. My reservoir is filled to 60L and drops to 50L when the grow tray is full. I left the system running for a couple of hours last night to check for problems. There was a couple of very minor leaks but sorted them by tightening the clips and it flooded to roughly 2" below the surface. Im still a little confused about how often to flood the tray for and for how long. I have Jorge Cervantes grow bible and in that it says if you flood for more than half an hour you could kill the roots because of a lack of Oxygen? Im a bit unsure of his hydro section as its so much smaller than the soil sections! maybe he doesnt like hydro?? Are those roots developed enough to be put in the tray yet? i think i may have stunted them a little by watering a bit too often :(. ANyway any help/guidance is welcomed!

Pics 009.jpg

Pics 010.jpg

Pics 012.jpg

Sup Offspring. I'm not a hydro guy but i seen your post and tried to catch Stoney Bud this morning before work but missed him. :mad: Maybe someone else can jump in. I sent Stoney Bud a PM so i'm sure he will reply when he gets home from work. ;) By the way man everything is looking good. :aok:

Hey TBG, thanks for the help. I was just wondering while iv got your attention , why do you prefer to grow in soil? there must be good reason:confused: Thanks

Hey Offspring, you shouldn't need to put a cover on the grow chamber. What purpose would it serve?

I've been using a 24/7, one hour on, two hours off watering cycle for a long, long time with great results. If it was going to harm the root system, it would have by now.

Yes, you can put that rooted cube into the system now. Very Gently.

Looks like your getting a handle on things now.

Good luck to you man.

Latest posts

Back