mylar question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CowboyBudsky said:
Home Depot and Lowes carries sheets 4x8 or 4x10 of stuff called R Max. It comes in 1/2",5/8 ,and 3/4. I use the 5/8 for its thickness and sturdyness. You can cut it with a razor blade. One side is reflective. The great thing about it is ya can build light weight walls out of it. I used Black Masking tape to put together.

WHOA! No kiddin? Wow...that sounds fricking perfect. In which department at Lowes? I mean...what do folks use it for? Thanks!

LassChance said:
WHOA! No kiddin? Wow...that sounds fricking perfect. In which department at Lowes? I mean...what do folks use it for? Thanks!

It's an exterior wall insulation board I think. It's in the building materials I believe. This stuff is great man. I's made with foam. So ya can cut in anyway ya want. Easy to cut for exhuast fans,elec lines,,you name it. I use White and Black Duck tape to put it together. Purdy sturdy too.:hubba:

LassChance said:
This is a good point. Why waste light? Maybe you could hang the mylar from rods suspended just outside the space the plants take up, thereby making the grow room "smaller" while bringing the mylar close enough to be beneficial?
I would put small hook/screws in the ceiling, hang wires from them to hold up an8' length of PVC pipe or bamboo or whatever, then fold over each piece of mylar about three inches at the top and glue it to make a "hem", then run the PVC or bamboo thru the opening. let the mylar hang free unless your fan blows it around. Where there's a will, there's a way! Just an idea, LOL. My grow room is too big, too and this is my basic plan.

I recommend Panda film over mylar. Mylar is hard to hang evenly, does not wash well, tears easily, and is not light tight. IMO, Panda film is the better product.

CowboyBudsky said:
Home Depot and Lowes carries sheets 4x8 or 4x10 of stuff called R Max. It comes in 1/2",5/8 ,and 3/4. I use the 5/8 for its thickness and sturdyness. You can cut it with a razor blade. One side is reflective. The great thing about it is ya can build light weight walls out of it. I used Black Masking tape to put together.

Me likes!

The Hemp Goddess said:
I recommend Panda film over mylar. Mylar is hard to hang evenly, does not wash well, tears easily, and is not light tight. IMO, Panda film is the better product.

Once again i'm i nubi.. do you mean the large sheets of white plastic that you get at the hardware store?

ramigaicinda said:
Once again i'm i nubi.. do you mean the large sheets of white plastic that you get at the hardware store?

No. Panda film will most likely need to be purchased from a hydro store or online. It is white reflective on one side and black on the other, made specially for this application.

I have a 10 X 10 room and I went to Home Depot and got a 4 X 8 sheet of regular backer board and cut it in half, ending up with 2 sheets 4 ft. tall and 4 ft. wide. I used a corner of the room and 2 original walls, then made the other 2 walls out of the 2 pieces of backer board. I covered all 4 walls with Mylar from the bottom to 4 ft. high all around. I'm able to move the "backer board" walls in closer or out further from the plants. Seems to be working pretty good so far.

AG

I read a few replies to this post. I've hung trash compactor bags. They are very bright white. And a box of 30 bags cost 20 bucks or less.. You can double them up and make a nice reflexive room for a 1/3 the cost of Mylar.

For a false wall between rooms i've just got a few uprights to support the white sheets and plenty of tape to seal any gaps

Latest posts

Back