Need help with PH Tests!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MercyEternity

Hi ladies and gentlemen; I need your assistance please.

How does one test a water nutrient solution? How does one test a soiless/soil medium or compost? (I am looking for a test kit and not electronic meters.)

I can understand the method of testing from the instructions but what kind of kits do you recommend for each criteria and where can I find them? I am in search of an inexpensive and effective method. Thanks for any suggestions/help. :)

GH makes a simple PH test kit for $6. you can use this to test your water, feed & run off.:D

I am in search of an inexpensive and effective method
\

You won't find one. The cheaper the test kit the lower the accuracy and since each .1 on the ph scale is 10 TIMES more acidic or basic depending on the direction of the variance the most accurate you will get with test strips or pretty much anything outside of a electronic meter is give or take 1.0 on a ph scale. If you want to go cheap look in the DIY section for massproducers diy ph tester made from red cabbage, it will be just as good as anything you buy in the store. If you want to dial in your grow you are going to have to bite the bullet and buy a good meter otherwise you will always be guessing.

halzey68 said:
GH makes a simple PH test kit for $6. you can use this to test your water, feed & run off.:D

I am guessing you use this kit? Pretty reliable?

Tater said:
\

You won't find one. The cheaper the test kit the lower the accuracy and since each .1 on the ph scale is 10 TIMES more acidic or basic depending on the direction of the variance the most accurate you will get with test strips or pretty much anything outside of a electronic meter is give or take 1.0 on a ph scale. If you want to go cheap look in the DIY section for massproducers diy ph tester made from red cabbage, it will be just as good as anything you buy in the store. If you want to dial in your grow you are going to have to bite the bullet and buy a good meter otherwise you will always be guessing.

Well the electronic meters I have seen require a calibration solution and it just seems like a lot to keep up with when I only need to check my few veggies and herbs that I consume.

I am not saying really cheap but around 10 GBP or 20 USD and one that does not require a lot of maintenance but one that is reliable and works. Is there such a thing or is it a pipedream?

:holysheep:

You only need to calibrate your meter once a month if that. Look on ebay I'll bet you find one in your price range.

Tater said:
You only need to calibrate your meter once a month if that. Look on ebay I'll bet you find one in your price range.

Hello again. I do not purchase electronics from eBay due to some bad experiences but I see what you're saying to get a good deal and all. I have been checking them out and how often do you replace electrodes? Can you just purchase any kind or does it have to be the exact brand for that model?

I can understand why somebody with a hydroponic system would need to test often but I use a soil/soiless medium that is pre-mixed.

I'm a soil grower and I highly recommend buying a digital meter. I used the General Hydro test kit with the drops for my first grow and after biting the bullet and purchasing a digital meter, I compared the readings of the two methods. Turns out I was watering my first grow about a full point under what I was going for...
I still had a decent grow but this one is much, much better since getting my ph dialed.
Those GH kits are cheap and all but you will need to buy more drops in a month or so, theres 10 more bucks on top of the original $16 for something that doesn't really work all that great.
JMO

Dr. Manny Bowles said:
I'm a soil grower and I highly recommend buying a digital meter. I used the General Hydro test kit with the drops for my first grow and after biting the bullet and purchasing a digital meter, I compared the readings of the two methods. Turns out I was watering my first grow about a full point under what I was going for...
I still had a decent grow but this one is much, much better since getting my ph dialed.
Those GH kits are cheap and all but you will need to buy more drops in a month or so, theres 10 more bucks on top of the original $16 for something that doesn't really work all that great.
JMO

Hey Bowles how do you test your soil?

Dr. Manny Bowles said:
JMO

I can understand that but don't you also have to purchase the calibration solution, electrodes, and probe replacements? In the end that is quite a bit more too although the precision is very important I agree for optimal performance in anything that we are trying to be the best in. How long on average does a digital meter last?

There are inexpensive <ten dollars or so> PH test probes for soil, available at most good garden centers. They're much like moisture meter probes, and though not pinpoint accuate, will certainly put you in the ballpark. By testing your soil, you can adjust your solultion...B

i_love_amsterdam said:
Hey Bowles how do you test your soil?

"They" make soil ph testers that are way less expensive than the digital kind that test liquids. I think I paid around $7 for mine. It's like a metal prong with a meter on the top that looks something like an old speedometer.

MercyEternity said:
I can understand that but don't you also have to purchase the calibration solution, electrodes, and probe replacements? In the end that is quite a bit more too although the precision is very important I agree for optimal performance in anything that we are trying to be the best in. How long on average does a digital meter last?

I'm not sure how long they last. I just got mine a few months back and it has stayed calibrated since the first time I calibrated it. I would imagine the electrodes etc will wear out eventually but hey it's a precision instrument and a necessary tool. Tools are invaluable in your quest for the perfect smoke:hubba:
Look at it this way, for around $90 (that's the meter and 2 small things of calibrating solution) you are positive that you are feeding your babies at the correct ph.
If you are just growing "a few veggies and herbs" then you might not need to be dead on with your ph. For cannabis, in my rookie opinion, you need to be right on for optimum results.
The digital ph-meter is the one thing I didn't buy from the beginning and probably the first thing I should have bought. Again, just my opinion.:ignore:

Weigh the cost of the meter against purchasing a good high quality bag of smoke in the streets and you will soon realize that the price of the meter is negligible. If you take care of your probe it should last anywhere from 6-12 months at least. Most of the time the probe dosen't wear out the user breaks it by mishandling. I've done this twice already but it was totally my fault.

Tater said:
Weigh the cost of the meter against purchasing a good high quality bag of smoke in the streets and you will soon realize that the price of the meter is negligible. If you take care of your probe it should last anywhere from 6-12 months at least. Most of the time the probe dosen't wear out the user breaks it by mishandling. I've done this twice already but it was totally my fault.

I completely understand what you are saying but this is my first grow alone without assistance and I am worried about my success rate as well. If I spend so much on something that ends up not to be worth it I will be beyond disappointed. That is my reasoning.

Is your login name "Tater" because that is your favorite snack? Completely off the subject I know.

Brussels said:
There are inexpensive <ten dollars or so> PH test probes for soil, available at most good garden centers. They're much like moisture meter probes, and though not pinpoint accuate, will certainly put you in the ballpark. By testing your soil, you can adjust your solultion...B

Yes I have seen those but I had a feeling that it would not work very well. Maybe I am being biased against plastic and needle dials.

These are important opinions to me and I thank you all. You probably use hydroponics and I can see why the meter would be vital. Although I am learning how to make compost tea and I really need to test the actual compost and the water nutrient solution as well which is my main concern.

MercyEternity said:
That's an important opinion to me and I thank you. You probably use hydroponics and I can see why the meter would be vital. Although I am learning how to make compost tea and I really need to test the actual compost and the water nutrient solution as well which is my main concern.

heh, I'm a dirt farmer:farm: I don't think I could handle a hydro system at this point, I'm still very green.
As far as I know, if you are testing soil and nutrient solutions you will need 2 different instruments. Maybe somebody will correct me on that.

I have one made by rapid test its got metal prongs that you only have to wash and use permanent connections and it takes a one AA batt. cost about 30 bucks and works fine measures pH and how fertile your soil is ;)

Doc Manny,

Yes I have seen that the nutrient water solution needs a certain kind of tester and the substrate uses another. I know that the electronic high-end meters test both. I am trying to weigh the cost to the benefits and if in the long term I will end up back to the basics - looking for another PH tester!

Dubbaman said:
I have one made by rapid test its got metal prongs that you only have to wash and use permanent connections and it takes a one AA batt. cost about 30 bucks and works fine measures pH and how fertile your soil is ;)

LOL are you sure or is your soil just always dead on! Have you checked the rapid tester in other substances with known PH ratings like vinegar or baking soda/water solution? I am not trying to be overly skeptical but I am by nature when it comes to the financial factor. :holysheep: ;)

Latest posts

Back