New Grower Looking for Professional Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im new to this but I am very into my grow. Ive boughten different strains from various clubs and people for the last 4 weeks, and now have about 10+ strains and 20 plants. I have them in Foxfarm Happy Frog Soil and some perlite mixed in. Also I have FF's Grow Big, Tiger Bloom and Big Bloom. Im using a 600 watt. metal halide bulb and balast. I will take some pictures soon, I would just like to get some advice from professional growers so I can learn more ideas and perfect my plants. I also have some growers in my area helping me out, but I am always willing to try new ideas. Thanks in Advance.

welcome monument skater to the site to learn how to grow. sounds like you have already done a bit of research.:)

research is the key to a sucessful grow. there is a great amount of this here. having some buds in your area can be a bonus also, just be very careful who you let know about your grow. there are rippers in sheeps clothing, if you know what i mean.;) .

the number one grow rule - tell no one...

Hi skater...

Welcome to MP! :eek:

You definitely got the goods! If you came on here and asked if someone could suggest a great setup that will yield top quality buds they would recommend all the stuff you bought... good job!

Even after 15 years of growing I sure wouldn't consider myself a pro but I've learned many ways to grow dank bud and probably more ways to screw it up! ;) Do you have good ventilation and air exchange in your grow room...? Fresh air is very important to plant health and temps should preferably be kept in the low to mid 70's and not warmer than 80º for flowering if you can avoid it. Strong fans in the grow room are a must. They strengthen plants, help them transpire and will help keep problems from starting at the soil level. Make sure you water thoroughly and then let the top inch or so of your soil to completely dry out between waterings. This will keep help prevent pests, fungus and pathogens from getting a foothold in your garden.

Your 600w MH is ideal for vegging. I suggest you buy a HPS conversion bulb for flowering though. Keeping you plants close to the light will encourage more compact, tighter growth but it's going to be hard with that many plants in your grow... 20? That's quite a bit for 600w unless you're going to just use this space for veg growth. It's going to be way too crowded in there for a 600w light. I would flower 4-6 plants at the most when they are about 15-20" tall. Plants grow 2x - 3x or more in height when flowering.

FFOF is a very high quality organic soil and your plants will be fine without any nutes in that soil for 4-6 weeks. If you feed them any Grow Big mix it at 1/4 or 1/3 strength to start with because the FFOF is such a rich organic soil and has everything they need for vigorous growth. When you flower also start with very weak 1/4 strength mix of the Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom nutes and slowly ramp up the strength until week 4 of flowering and then slowly ramp down the nute strength until a week before harvest and then only water until you give them the chop chop. In a soil that rich you'll do better to feed them nutes only every other or every 3rd watering or you'll risk overfeeding them. I've seen very dank bud grown in FFOF without any added nutes so use them sparingly.

Have you thought about odor control? Strong ventilation and a carbon filter are the way to go... It's the best investment you can make in your grow next to a quality light. One plant can really stink up an entire house when you're late in flowering if you don't have ventilation. Stagnate air is your enemy because odors will build and build until they come out of your grow room, down the hall and throughout your home. It WILL be an unwelcome conversation topic if it's not kept under control... :rolleyes:

Like Irish sez... don't tell ANYONE. But even if your grow is very stealth, without odor control everyone will know about your hobby the second they step into your doorway if not before...

Peace!:cool:

Welcome to MP Skater;

Read, read and read more.
Try reading the " GROW JOURNAL" threads and look for similar set ups as yours to compare.

Sounds like you spent some money on your plants, most new people practice on bagseed incase they mess up, you appear to be ahead of that curve, good for you.

Try posting pics for the most accurate advice.

Peace......................

I would recommend beneficials and amendments.

Here is a list of many beneficial organisms (and pests):
hXXp://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/main/search_crop.htm#beneficial

for some info on amendments see:
hXXp://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/GARDEN/07235.html

I would definately maintain soil at the best condition (temp, pH, aeration, etc...) for the micro and macro organisms. Look into composting temperatures.

hXXp://www.planetnatural.com/site/xdpy/sgc/Soil Care/Soil Amendments

hXXp://www.planetnatural.com/site/red-wiggler-worms.html

hXXp://www.planetnatural.com/site/beneficial-nematodes.html

hXXp://www.planetnatural.com/site/fossil-fuel.html

also... look into terra preta

good luck.

I was wondering what i should do with my light situation. I baught these clones over a two week span, so some are bigger and others. And two of my bubba kush plants are close to 2 feet tall. and My stragglers are around 8 -14 inches tall. Sho0uld I just cut the light to 12/12 now or should i i try to give the straggler plants more light in addition to the 12/12 cycle? Also , what are some tricks to producing a bigger yeald, better taste, nicer nuggs, etc. Thanks In Advance.

Ohh and I forgot to add that Im working on getting pictures up, I tried to take pics on my phone but they didnt turn out well, so im gunna borrow a camera sometime this week. And thanks again for the advice so far. Keep it up.

Just changed my light cycle to 12/12. My plants are looking beautiful. Sorry for the picture delay, my gf's camera is broken, so I need to buy a new one. Any tips for better taste in buds??

Over nute them towards the end...then flush for 2 weeks. For taste, kinda depends on the maturity, strain, dry time, and cure time.

Good Luck! And get them pics up!

Latest posts

Back