Nitrogen Deficiency in seedlings? (PICS)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so you think they aren't getting watered enough? and I've done all my research on rock wool and to be honest i dont think the stuff is for me. it might have been easier to start with for my first hydro but id just rather stay away from the stuff but the humidity very slightly goes up when it floods, i say 35-60 because sometimes it gets as high as 60 when i have my humidifier maxed out but it usually stays around 45%

rockwool is common in flood and drain setup's for their ability to retain a lot of moisture for long periods of time. rapid rooters & hydroton drain much too quickly.

No problem my friend :) That's why I'm here, I enjoy helping new growers get going, and helping older growers who have forgot something that a fresh, experienced brain can see more easily. I used to be an electronics/mechanical technician. Analytical troubleshooting is my mindset, so now that I am unable to do what I used to do, I enjoy doing it for MJ growers. :)

Don't let the ppm trip you up though. It is important as it gives you information that you need to optimize the conditions of the grow, but it isn't always so critical as it is for seedlings. Its so important for seedlings because they have new tender roots that need to get established before getting hit with (chemical)nutrients, and there is no back up roots if they get burned up.

But once the roots have established themselves and get some chemical bath, they get used to it and are able to quickly ramp up the ppm (which is the concentration of the chemicals in the medium or solution). The littlest seedlings are still needing special care but the larger ones are good to go on ramping up the nutes.

You will see your ppm numbers rise many times, especially in hydro where you are continuously checking. But you will get the hang of knowing how far to let the ppm rise before having to change the water. many times, you will see the ppm rise and think the plants aren't eating but that is just the plants have drank more than they ate which caused the ratio of chems to water to rise.

well i appreciate it, it sucks having a question or concern and no one is trying to help out a bit, not that i ever have that problem with this site, I'm just saying but that makes sense, i just figured he slow rise in ppm could be from the water evaporating out of the res since my res isn't covered, thankfully i havent seen any nute burn (i don't think) but yesterday i got a 200gpd r.o system, not that i technically need it but i just want to have it, plus now i can use that instead of buying bottles of water from the store too and i bought h&g nitrogen boost (technically i got it for free off a $25 reward my hydro shop gives out for every $500 spent) but I'm going to try a res with r.o and see how i make out so i can add my own calmag and i know exactly whats in my water and hopefully that can stop my calcium problem. I'm probably going to start with like 150ppm of calmag plus and 350ppm of maxigro

rockwool is common in flood and drain setup's for their ability to retain a lot of moisture for long periods of time. rapid rooters & hydroton drain much too quickly.

yeah but i wash afraid of ph issues and mold and stagnant water and everything so i went with hydroton and rapid rooter, i just flood every 6 hours. its starting to work out, just took like a month to get used too I'm just happy i caught my mistakes quick enough before my mistakes killed the plants

I think that will work for you. They are coming around and you have learned a lot. :)

rockwool enf? ive done it, seems too wet, coco holds more air, but enf coco also too wet. switched to coco multi-drip and wowee we got a winner. dwc does fine, IF you can keep the water cooled below 70 degrees. I needed gal frozen jugs on 12 hr cycle. but it worked. im finding drip on coco/perlite my winner. lil less yield than dwc but easier for my brain. and lil less maintenance.

I use top drip onto coco coir but mine sit in holes of tote lids so that the top drip can thoroughly soak the pot of coco and allow all the excess to drip off back into the recirculating reservoir. I get great yield with this method.

Latest posts

Back