Not looking very good

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SmokinMom

My plants looked beautiful 3 days ago, all green and perky. Today they look like this. I will admit they were pretty dry, so I gave them a drink of spring water. I just have them in organic soil, and I haven't used any nutes yet. Perhaps it's time for nutes??? They have been under lights 24/7 for exactly 2 weeks 1 day.

mj079.jpg

mj077.jpg

Any advice?

Thanks. :)

hey smokin mom! yeah, it looks like your babies needed some water! Is the soil that you have them in with fertilizer or is it just a mix of peat moss and spagnum. if you soil has ferts, then I would say you should be fine. if not then you should give them a little. I think it might be from not watering. Also, how is your air ciruclation in the cooler? Has your husband put a hole in the side and do you have air? Your babies are young and probably just needed a little water. They will be fine!

They are cring for some water. Nutes couldn't hurt. Still young, they'll be fine.

Oh no! :(
I'd stay away from giving them nutes until you've eliminated water as the problem. I've had sprouts that looked similar to that (yellowing from the tips, bottom leaves first), and the problem was the soil mix itself.. I'm quite certain it was a nutrient lockout, the soil PH was likely wrong. I was testing the water PH, so it must have been the soil.
I'd go looking for litmus strips, or the under-20$ ph testers.
In the mean time, I'll send some good vibes in their general direction.

i would say they are crying for water. how much do u water them? could be a heat problem too what kind of lights are you using and do u have a fan on them? anyways they should be fine if u keep watering them its nice to let them dry a little but not to much. also i would wait on the nutes for a little longer cause ur soil probably has it in it. as for the leaves they will probably die on u if u see them getting worse cut them off. but if more leaves start getting like that then there is another problem good luck smoken

If I was you I would ditch that soil. I have just tested the same soil (assuming that is the stuff you mentioned in another thread) and it was 325ppm and the pH was 5.2 w/ reverse osmosis water that measured pH 7.0 and 004 ppm. Without adjusting that soil for drainage and pH, I would say that you are going to be disappointed with the results. That mix without enough aeration (perlite, etc.) Will always be either too wet or too dry IMHO. Just my opinion!
Good luck!!
Prof.

Not to hijack the thread.. but Prof. Bongwater, could you explain how you tested the ppm/ph of the soil, for those of us that don't know?
:eek:

could you explain how you tested the ppm/ph of the soil
This is what I do, find some thin wall plastic (PVC) pipe that will reach the bottom of the pot. If it is not thin enough it will only compact the soil. Then 1/2 way between the stock of the plant and the wall of the container push it through the soil. Now remove the soil from the inside of the pipe. Dry out the sample (in the oven if needed), measure the sample, add 2 parts water and let it soak for 10-15 min. Now strain the water off and take your reading with your digital meter. If you are measuring TDS you can take your reading and multiply it by 2.4 to get your total. As I have said in the past "this is the method I prefer". I have been told by many people that testing the water runoff from pots is good enough. I simply don't agree.... If anyone reading this has a easier (accurate) method, please share it with me....
Cheers!
Prof.

Thanks Prof!

Does anyone think it's possible to fix that soil with dolomitic lime (preferably without transplanting)? I know it can bring the PH up.. might be an easy fix?

Here they are today. The new growth looks nice and green, it's the older leaves that look bad.

I notice now they dry out a lot quicker between waterings, makes sense since they are getting bigger.

If I transplant, what soil do you recommend? I am at y'alls mercy. :)

mj087.jpg

mj086.jpg

mj083.jpg

Hey SM...I'll lend a hand. Go to a discount store [Dollar General, Big Lots, or even WallyWorld-SearsMart] and purchase some good ol' potting soil [Hyponex comes to mind]. Also, buy yourself some perlite. Mix approximately 1 part perlite to 2-3 parts topsoil. The perlite helps the plant get moisture and keeps the soil from "clumping" or compacting. Once you have your soil mixture, you can transplant into the pots you intend on growing in [provided the pots are not the ones in your photos...which are kind of on the small size]. Pot should be a minimum of a gallon.
Also, are you using tap water, bottled water, reverse osmosis water, or what? If you can do it, rain water is great. Do you have an aquarium? Aquarium water is even better, as it has "fish ****" in it, plus it has oxygen pumped through it. Both are GREAT for plants!
I'm a "hobbiest" myself, and will help you in anyway I can. Mini-stealth grows are a lot of fun...and yield fun results!! Happy Growing!

Nelson

Thanks Nelson.

I have a betta fish in a gallon bowl...I dump his water every week. Guess I'll be saving it from now on.

I will definately be getting some better soil. If not today, then tomorrow.

SmokinMom said:
Thanks Nelson.

I have a betta fish in a gallon bowl...I dump his water every week. Guess I'll be saving it from now on.

I will definately be getting some better soil. If not today, then tomorrow.

Glad to help! I re-read my thread, and a said "topsoil" after I said "potting soil"...by all means, use potting soil. It's lighter, and has hummus material in it. And, don't forget the perlite...

Containers...old gallon milk jugs with the tops cut off work pretty well...and you're recycling too!

Nelson

That soil doesn't look very good. Doesn't look like the soil would breath very well. Any perlite or vermiculte in there?

SM, you said you were using spring water. I think that is your problem. I posted on your other thread about it. Spring water is pretty much mineral water, meaning it has alot of minerals in it. This could be your prob. I'd flush with distilled or purified water before doing anything else.

Hopefully it was just the spring water. And I am almost embarrassed to say the water was chilled 2 waterings ago. D'oh, what was I thinking!! Anyways, I went and got some premium soil and perlite today and put them in bigger pots and flushed with distilled water this time. I planted a few petunias too. Notice my stashbox and phone on top of the table. I am high as a kite. :D

Please tell me this will be better?

Apr0790333353.jpg

Apr0790333351.jpg

Or am I doomed?

Guess I'll find out in a day or 2. Unfortunately I never have had much of a green thumb.

Personally, I stay away from the stuff with ferts in it. Sometimes it gives your plants too much at the wrong time and not enough at the right time. One of the Afghanis i'm growing is in MG potting soil(wanted to see if I could get those TBG results). It's living, budding and doing okay but it doesn't compare to it's sister which is in my own mix and the tips of the leaves are burnt a lil. It may work but I wouldn't feed her nutes in that soil. I give mine plain water in the MG soil and the leaf tips are still burnt. Hope this helps.

Nice looking, SM! Glad to see you got some perlite. I like the milk jug, too! Looks like you have a nice mess to clean up, though...

I would agree with bombbud...just give your plants some regular distilled or reverse osmosis water for the time being. The Miracle Grow soil has good nutes in it for small plants. Most first time growers make the mistake of wanting to give the plants LOTS of ferts...next thing you know, your plants are dying and you are crying!....[boo-hoo...]. Be patient...you're on the right track. Don't use any ferts and don't over water.

Nelson

Okay, after being in the new pots with the new soil I think they are trying to bounce back. But, the skunk cross has grown into the light, and now I think it has some light burn on it's top leaves....it has really grown since Tues, so I guess it likes the new dirt.

Apr0790333420.jpg

Apr0790333421.jpg

Latest posts

Back