Nutes, break it down for me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getmelifted

Reaction score
Ill admit right now I am lazy and short on time. I have so much homework to get done and Im out of nutes. My plants dont look like they are doing too good without nutes and 1 actually had all leaves turn yellow.

First question, what would make 1 plants leaves all go yellow but the other 5 are ok? No signs of insects

2nd question, Im using fox farm soil and Im on some what of a budget but can spend money to get something thatll do me good for the next 2 grows.
What nutes do you all recommend for vegging plants?
What nutes do you recommend for budding plants?

Just tell me who makes it and what its called and ill find an online store or see if its at my local hydroponic shops.

Thanks for anyone who replies and saves me time from searching. College and working full time leaves not much time to research other things :(

I would go to the local Hydro shop and tell him some details if there's one close. If your growing in Fox Farm you may want to use they're nute line.

jmansweed said:
I would go to the local Hydro shop and tell him some details if there's one close. If your growing in Fox Farm you may want to use they're nute line.

I have 2 hydro shops but I dont really trust these 2 dudes and their opinions on things. I swear they just want to push you into the more expensive stuff and then tell you the other stuff is just ok.

I know fox farm has a good line, so Im wondering if I just need their vegging nute and their blooming nute and thats it?

Should anything else be added into my water?

Fox farms has a grow/micro/bloom nute system. You will find lots of people on this site that use these 3 nutrients for their grows.

Grow - Grow Big
Micro - Big Bloom
Bloom - Tiger Bloom

They are a great starting nutrient lineup in my opinion.

gmo said:
Fox farms has a grow/micro/bloom nute system. You will find lots of people on this site that use these 3 nutrients for their grows.

Grow - Grow Big
Micro - Big Bloom
Bloom - Tiger Bloom

They are a great starting nutrient lineup in my opinion.

Thanks bud, you are a time saver.

Micro meaning for starting our clones?

and when adding nutes dont I only give them nuted water every 3 days and normal water the other 2 days? Allow it to flush so it doesnt over nute LOL

Micro meaning micro nutreints. Your feeding/watering schedules really depends on many factors. I feed every watering - about once every 4 days. Some growers water daily and feed once a week.

jmansweed said:
Micro meaning micro nutreints. Your feeding/watering schedules really depends on many factors. I feed every watering - about once every 4 days. Some growers water daily and feed once a week.

How do you only water your plants every 4 days? We water ours everyday and we always wonder if we are over watering but arent too sure.
We wait til the first few inches of the soil is dry and water again. which is every day usually, maybe every 30hrs

I grow in Pro-mix, a peat based medium. IMO it's important, specifically in early growth, to force your roots to search for water. This is done by simply allowing your medium to dry out some. I use 5 gallon buckets. I add one gallon of solution to each bucket. This creates about 10% run-off and supplies enough retained moisture to last at least 4 days - sometimes more depending on humidity. As the soil or substrate dries out the roots naturally chase the fluid expanding in size. A larger root system typically leads to a healthier, larger plant. Allowing your pot to dry out is important. Not to point of making the plant stress but enough to influence growth.

jmansweed said:
I grow in Pro-mix, a peat based medium. IMO it's important, specifically in early growth, to force your roots to search for water. This is done by simply allowing your medium to dry out some. I use 5 gallon buckets. I add one gallon of solution to each bucket. This creates about 10% run-off and supplies enough retained moisture to last at least 4 days - sometimes more depending on humidity. As the soil or substrate dries out the roots naturally chase the fluid expanding in size. A larger root system typically leads to a healthier, larger plant. Allowing your pot to dry out is important. Not to point of making the plant stress but enough to influence growth.

Is this the same for getting the buds to grow bigger?

Because the plants are already 4ft tall in a closet, I dont think they need to grow anymore lol

But Ill keep that in mind for our younger vegging plants.

Do you let the water drain out of the bucket into like a pan? Or is it a sealed bucket?

The bucket drains out - dtw. As buds develop and the plants concentrates more on that aspect root growth becomes less of a priority. You can maintain a more moist root zone throughout flowering with little ill effects in my experiences.

jmansweed said:
The bucket drains out - dtw. As buds develop and the plants concentrates more on that aspect root growth becomes less of a priority. You can maintain a more moist root zone throughout flowering with little ill effects in my experiences.

More moist root zone? You mean over watering is hard when they are a few weeks into flowering and a good size? Im alil confused

More moist - I could have been more descriptive. Under flowering conditions, the plant will stop concentrating on vegitative growth - gradually relocating it's energy into bud production. If your trying to influence root growth and vegitative growth it's important imo to let the substrate dry out some what between waterings. This is not as important later in flowering. We no longer treat vegitative growth as a priority and now concentrate more on flowering. There is always a risk of over watering but in my experiences a plant can thrive, under flowering conditions with a moist medium, compared to vegitative conditions where the "dry out" is important.

jmansweed said:
More moist - I could have been more descriptive. Under flowering conditions, the plant will stop concentrating on vegitative growth - gradually relocating it's energy into bud production. If your trying to influence root growth and vegitative growth it's important imo to let the substrate dry out some what between waterings. This is not as important later in flowering. We no longer treat vegitative growth as a priority and now concentrate more on flowering. There is always a risk of over watering but in my experiences a plant can thrive, under flowering conditions with a moist medium, compared to vegitative conditions where the "dry out" is important.

LOL thanks for the paragraph.

I was expecting a simple "yea watering it once a day .5 gal to each 3gal pot is fine"

But thanks!!!

As strange of the idea to you is that I water once every 4 or 5 days, the same aplies the other way. I would over water for sure if I gave my ladies .5 gallons every day and I'm in 5 gallon pots. - so I can't say if thats a good idea.:)

If you get a chance post some pictures and people here more associated with your methods can help out.

Latest posts

Back